Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:41 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vinyl wrapping a GTS Cab - satin dark grey

So as some of you may know, the 'sleek machine' used to look like this

But then this happened

Nope, not jealous locals out to ruin a one-percenter's day but the simple urban fox, a number of whom live in my road and like, for reasons best known to themselves, to climb on the cars. With their claws.

I had previously had the car coated in Gtechniq Crystal Serum, which is marketed as an ultimate detailing product that puts a protective coating on the car. A word to anyone considering it: I know it's not meant to protect against fox claws, but it really didn't seem to protect against anything. The paint still had swirl marks, and I only ever cleaned it myself and very carefully. That said, it did make the car very easy to clean (and never need waxing) and the paint looked fantastic when it was clean.

Anyway, decided to wrap the car to protect it from the varmints so took it down (for any UK members who are interested) to Monsterwraps in Southampton, and dealt with Sean who sent me a bunch of samples and was generally great.

I wanted a colour that continued the stealthy look of the car, but wasn't just a straight matte black or similar, as these are pretty common round London and to me look a little bit nasty now the novelty's worn off. My last car was wrapped 'brushed black' and can be seen here with its happy new owner.

I loved that colour, but wanted something different for this car and so ended up going for 'Satin Dark Grey'. This is new from 3M, and had a lot of texture in it, looking dark but then metallic under light. I've been promised some more pictures of the process at some point, but the car in Monsterwraps' photos now looks like this

and this

In my much less professional photos:

and

I'm currently parking it on the next street along from mine while the wrap hardens up (apparently this takes about a week) and will then bring it back to run the fox gauntlet. My kingdom for a garage. Still, as 'protection' goes I don't think it looks too bad.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:51 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

Looks cool oh btw I'm 99% sure you can wet sand and polish those scratches gone
Old 08-10-2015, 03:55 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Oh I know. Those were not the first scratches to occur. Would have ended up polishing the poor thing down to the metal.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

looks fantastic. nice job.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am liking the look.... for an hours drive... hmmm
Thanks for posting!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:36 PM
Arcoril
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
Looks cool oh btw I'm 99% sure you can wet sand and polish those scratches gone
Unfortunately if your fingernail catches on the scratch then it's too deep for any sanding/polishing. However, polishing can smoothen the edge of the scratch and make it slightly less visible.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

stunning!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:47 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Magic - My god, that's beautiful. I absolutely love what you did. Great job.

But I have two questions:
Did that happen in London?
Are you one of the guys that park great/expensive/exotic cars on the street in London? I travel there often and usually stay in the Kensington/Chelsea/Belgravia area. I'm always AMAZED at the cars parked on the streets. The last time I was there, there were two different DB4s parked overnight just a couple of blocks from each other. It's eye candy just walking around.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:51 PM
blschaefer1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great !!
Old 08-10-2015, 05:44 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks fabulous!

Mind me asking:
  1. How long did the wrapper take to complete to color change wrap?
  2. Did you opt to have much disassembly (remove bumper covers, lights, handles, etc.) or none for the wrapping?
  3. Are the door sills wrapped as well, or left body-color?

Thanks!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:28 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks really awesome. Nice job!
Old 08-10-2015, 07:54 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

that looks absolutely awesome!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:11 PM
Koriel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great!

This is the first picture I've seen of a Porsche with a matte finish. I've always wondered why Porsche doesn't offer a matte paint like BMW and MB.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:43 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Koriel
Looks great!

This is the first picture I've seen of a Porsche with a matte finish. I've always wondered why Porsche doesn't offer a matte paint like BMW and MB.
And the real beauty of this particular matte finish is that it is not paint! Have you ever seen what happens to the BMW, MB paint jobs when someone rubs them wrong, etc.? And they require special care, routines for protecting, etc. A real PITA!

BUT, with this vinyl, you can wash it just like any other paint job, and if you don't like it, or it gets damaged in some way, you aren't faced with a very $$$ custom paint job (you know any paint shops that do matte paint on a regular basis??) you can peel off and replace one section or the entire car! I've had matte black vinyl on my car for over a year now in sections, and love the look. I haven't had any issues at all with care, despite the crazy NE weather that I drive in year-round!

I just purchased some 3M matte blue metallic -- not sure when I'll get to putting it on, but soon......
Old 08-11-2015, 05:22 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

In answer to the questions:

I do park it on the street in London, but in the quiet bit of South London where I live. I'm not one of the guys who parks up by Harrods and gets in the news

The work was done in Southampton by www.monsterwraps.co.uk Their gallery section has a lot of good pictures of different colours that they do.

It took about a week - dropped the car off Monday night and picked it up Saturday (was ready on Friday). I don't think there was any disassembly as they're very much a wrapping place not a garage, but I couldn't say I was sure! The door sills are done, yes, though obviously my greatest indulgence (*cough* illuminatedcarbondoorsillguards) are still visible

Will post some more detailed pictures when it stops raining.

The only other thing to add is that the car has been de-badged. I didn't ask for this, and was a bit surprised when I saw it, but apparently the glue they normally use to re-attach the badges wasn't strong enough to stick to the particular wrap I chose. Sure I could get it done somehow, but I'm kind of getting used to the lack. Gives a clean look to the back of the car, especially under the ducktail.

Quick Reply: Vinyl wrapping a GTS Cab - satin dark grey