Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Are most people using /recommending Xpel or other film for a new car? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/887057-are-most-people-using-recommending-xpel-or-other-film-for-a-new-car.html)

TimAD 08-18-2015 02:38 AM

We install both Xpel and Suntek, there are pluses and minuses to each. Both are great films and offer self healing top coats. All our clients definitely believe in the technology after they have had it on their car for several months. The peace of mind it provides is well worth its investment.

unclemat 05-25-2016 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ChoyV (Post 12500632)
Scheduled to have a full front using either Suntek or Xpel. My installer prefers Suntek but I can choose Xpel if I want to. No price difference. Make sure they tuck the edges inside. That means taking the head lamps off etc....

(hope bumping old thread does not go against local etiquette).

What are folks experiences with tucking the film under the headlight? I talk to two installers, one I used with great success on other cars and he recommended against doing that due to rubbing and risk of the film delaminating (he said he learned the hard way). Another reputable installer in the area is tucking the film under headlights.

Thanks a lot in advance.

MoeMistry 05-26-2016 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by unclemat (Post 13319820)

What are folks experiences with tucking the film under the headlight? I talk to two installers, one I used with great success on other cars and he recommended against doing that due to rubbing and risk of the film delaminating (he said he learned the hard way). Another reputable installer in the area is tucking the film under headlights.

Thanks a lot in advance.

We always remove headlights and tuck it in. Cleaner installtion

rayng 05-26-2016 07:35 PM

i paid 5300 for xpel ultimate on the x including seat-backs. i would recommend the product but not the installer since we saw more than a couple air bubbles.

R_Rated 05-26-2016 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by unclemat (Post 13319820)

Thanks a lot in advance.

Headlights should be removed. Do not let an installer touch your car that is not listed in expels site with multiple product line stars.

I had a awful experience with the first installer. Insist on looking at a car they've done. If you're near Charlotte, RUN from Parks Detailing.

MagicRat 05-26-2016 07:57 PM

Having full Xpel done on my incoming Spyder - PTS needs protecting! Will post some thoughts when I have the car next week.

robbie9999 05-27-2016 01:48 AM

How much are you paying for your film protection ?

My guy 1500
Full front - bumper, fenders, hood, wing mirrors, rockers, headlights, and front of rear tires. That standard price ? More or less ?

fastdiablo 05-27-2016 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by robbie9999 (Post 13324227)
How much are you paying for your film protection ? My guy 1500 Full front - bumper, fenders, hood, wing mirrors, rockers, headlights, and front of rear tires. That standard price ? More or less ?

That's in the ballpark if not on the low side. I paid 2400 for full hood, fenders, front, both doors, rockers and all around the rear fenders. I should have just had the roof done too. I chose xpel, but Suntek is also fine.

Nick 05-27-2016 04:28 PM

I have done the protective coat on several of my cars. Reluctantly, I have concluded it isn't worth it. Minor scratches and nicks can be covered over for a lot less money. AND despite claims you can't tell the coat is on, over time that clearly (pun intended) is not the case. The film does wear and doesn't weather as well as paint.

Finally, having the film does not help with resale. You don't get your money back. That said, if your anal about your car the clear film does give you peace of mind.:thumbup:

TimAD 05-27-2016 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 13325971)
I have done the protective coat on several of my cars. Reluctantly, I have concluded it isn't worth it. Minor scratches and nicks can be covered over for a lot less money. AND despite claims you can't tell the coat is on, over time that clearly (pun intended) is not the case. The film does wear and doesn't weather as well as paint.

Finally, having the film does not help with resale. You don't get your money back. That said, if your anal about your car the clear film does give you peace of mind.:thumbup:

Sorry to hear your experience hasn't been completely satisfactory. Clear bra is not for everyone but it sounds like your experience is due to a couple things. Yes clear bra just like paint will weather overtime, the rate and extent this happens depends on the installation itself, material used and maintenance of the vehicle. Clear bra or nano coatings do not reward neglect and require consistent maintenance.

We have many clients whom have had coatings and clear bra on daily drivers for several years and still look great. I've also seen an improper clear bra install and inferior product fade/yellow after 5 months.

2012Neunelf 05-27-2016 04:45 PM

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8c3b2d04e.jpeg
I had XPEL Ultimate done on my 991, really like it

Nick 05-27-2016 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by TimAD (Post 13326027)
Sorry to hear your experience hasn't been completely satisfactory. Clear bra is not for everyone but it sounds like your experience is due to a couple things. Yes clear bra just like paint will weather overtime, the rate and extent this happens depends on the installation itself, material used and maintenance of the vehicle. Clear bra or nano coatings do not reward neglect and require consistent maintenance.

We have many clients whom have had coatings and clear bra on daily drivers for several years and still look great. I've also seen an improper clear bra install and inferior product fade/yellow after 5 months.

You make a good point regarding maintenance. :thumbup:

Also, please do not misunderstand. I was not dissatisfied with clear coating. It served the purpose it was intended for. The clear coat is good for some and not so good for others. I just concluded that when I take delivery of my Targa in early August I will not apply the film. :)

midwesterner 05-27-2016 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by TimAD

What would recommend for those of us that have clear coat in terms of maintenance?

Nick 05-27-2016 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by midwesterner (Post 13326163)
What would recommend for those of us that have clear coat in terms of maintenance?

I don't wish to speak for Tim but putting a coat of polish/wax will help maintain the integrity of the film. However, you will soon learn that polish or wax on the paint without the film looks richer and deeper.

TimAD 05-27-2016 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by midwesterner (Post 13326163)

By clear coat I assume your talking in reference to a clear bra? Maintenance is same as is required for your paint surfaces. Regular and Safe washing practices (no automatic or brushed car washes), a waterless wash regime or 2bm is preferred. Then in terms of protection either monthly sealing/waxing or investing in long term paint sealant in the form of a nano coating. Clear bra is very porous in nature, more so than paint so it benefits greatly from sealing and protecting the top coating.

Originally Posted by Nick (Post 13326419)
I don't wish to speak for Tim but putting a coat of polish/wax will help maintain the integrity of the film. However, you will soon learn that polish or wax on the paint without the film looks richer and deeper.

Correct in regards to sealing/waxing the finish. But I disagree in terms of film not looking rich or deep, once again comes down to the material used and installer. Here's an example ;)