Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poll: would you rather drive NA or turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 233 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
I would like to try it before making up my mind. For me the turbo would be great as my car is a DD, and the turbo gives you more fun in the lower RPM range where I am most of my way to work. I can imagine for those that give it some track time, an NA will be more fun. But for normal, public road use ... I don't have too many opportunities to go over 100 mph in 3rd gear, which is exactly where the NA fun is to be found.
I'm sorry to be confrontational but seriously... I don't understand a word of this. Fun in an NA 911 is only to be found above 100mph? Only on the track?

I ditched a Turbo for my current GTS, and I've been having a whole lot more fun with the GTS. They're both fun, but in my experience, it's just the opposite of what you're writing: Turbos beg to have high speed venues before they start getting fun. NA is fun at lower speeds.

But to each his own.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:46 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 119 Posts

N/A...
Old 07-28-2015, 02:52 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

I've gone from a 997.1 NA, over to a 997.1 Turbo, then back over to a NA 987.2 and I love the NA. The Turbo had MASSIVE power that kicked in and threw you back and went WAY to fast whereas the NA is pure free-flowing high-revving bliss. It's a snake running', jammin on the twisties, canyon carver. Way more fun, but as is mentioned, we'll have to see what the engineers serve up. I the meantime, I'm looking at a base NA Carrera for a daily driver.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:10 AM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

NA for me. My previous ride was a 2013 E92 M3 with V8 NA engine. Traded-in for the 2016 991 GTS. Didn't like to get the new M4 due to the new Turbo engine. My 987S was replaced by a 3.0 turbo E92 335i. That didn't last long, less than a year, since I traded it for the V8 E92 M3.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:38 PM
twlai
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NA for me....
i had too many turbo car ....
Old 07-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

NA all day long.
I hate vacuum sound
Old 07-28-2015, 01:55 PM
pavster
Instructor

Have had plenty of both. Turbo is *only* fun when you have a long stretch of road where you can let it build boost. NA is fun the millisecond you give it more throttle. So you have fun in much smaller increments, in many many more every-day situations. The only form of Forced Induction I'd accept is positive displacement (i.e. Roots) superchargers because they preserve the linear/instant torque characteristic of NA engines.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
I'm sorry to be confrontational but seriously... I don't understand a word of this. Fun in an NA 911 is only to be found above 100mph? Only on the track?

I ditched a Turbo for my current GTS, and I've been having a whole lot more fun with the GTS. They're both fun, but in my experience, it's just the opposite of what you're writing: Turbos beg to have high speed venues before they start getting fun. NA is fun at lower speeds.

But to each his own.
I'm just comparing to my mini cooper s (turbo). The car had so many sensations at low speeds and it felt like it was going fast and closer to the limit. When I feel like I am going fast in the 911 (which is 4k-7k rpm) I am really going fast. I do own a base carrera, I assume your GTS will have that immediate ooomph a lot lower in the rev range.

If they turbo charge the base carrera, I will get the same low rev going fast feeling. AT least that is my expectation, that is why I stated that I need to try it first.

But like you said, experiences are always personal. (and you were not confrontational, no worries)
Old 07-28-2015, 02:47 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

As a another comparison, Audi uses a roots type positive displacement supercharger design in its cars, which is hailed as the best design for smooth throttle response. I've owned two of their cars with the supercharger and two with their NA V8s, (we currently have one of each) All were good motors, but the supercharged cars definitely have a less satisfying throttle response; slight lag, big hit, then it peters out. I don't think I'd own one of their SC cars again if I had to drive it.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Poll: would you rather drive NA or turbo?

Long live the NA's! Check them out!

15 most powerful NA's

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...cars-for-sale/
Old 07-28-2015, 05:43 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker

But to each his own.
+1. I traded out of my 2015 TT today and into a 2016 GTS, so I obviously prefer a NA engine (and the MT, which is really why I made the move). But I agree with NoGaBiker. The TT has epic, literally mind-blowing speed. Issue is that it gets really fun (to me) only when you really kick it in the pants, and if you step on that accelerator for any period of time to wake the engine up, you'll be driving at illegal (and likely unsafe) speeds in a heartbeat.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:28 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 590 Posts

i have owned bunch of both
i will always own both if i can
but if i have to choose only one NA no doubt
Old 07-30-2015, 07:54 PM
LDSM

Prefer N/A

Turbo's are a stepping stone until electric/hybrid motor technology trickles down from hypercars to sportscars
Old 07-31-2015, 10:32 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Poll: would you rather drive NA or turbo?

Interesting:

Audi says turbocharged R8 isn't coming anytime soon

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11507309...g-anytime-soon

"He went on to specify the R8's V10 doesn't need the extra power provided by a turbo, especially since he believes a naturally aspirated car is more emotional thanks to its sound, throttle response and the sensation it gives when its revved up to the redline."

Why is this an experience that is so hard to understand for the turbo cheerleaders?

Last edited by STG; 07-31-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:57 AM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STG991
Interesting:

Audi says turbocharged R8 isn't coming anytime soon

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11507309...g-anytime-soon

"He went on to specify the R8's V10 doesn't need the extra power provided by a turbo, especially since he believes a naturally aspirated car is more emotional thanks to its sound, throttle response and the sensation it gives when its revved up to the redline."

Why is this an experience that is so hard to understand for the turbo cheerleaders?
It isn't. Why is it so hard for the NA cheerleaders to realize that some people like the instant torque of a good FI engine? Why must they make bogus arguments about FI being worse in every sense to justify their liking of NA? WWhy can't they handle that some people might see the world differently from them?

I have driven and like both for different reasons, in particular I prefer the sound of a screaming NA engine. For my DD, I like the instant torque and that is more important to me than the sound. On the track, an NA is slightly easier to modulate than FI, so I can see why track rats would prefer it (otoh, if the accelerator isn't a binary switch to you, handling a high-torque FI engine shouldn't be a problem).

Like I've said before, I have no beef with anyone who prefers NA as long as they don't cite incorrect opinion on the science as fact when doing so.

Quick Reply: Poll: would you rather drive NA or turbo?