Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are turbo engines more efficient when driven hard?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:14 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But you don't have to be driving full throttle to dramatically reduce your mileage and remove most of the difference. Just driving relatively spirited in sport mode around town will significantly reduce the mileage I get in any of my cars. The only way you get the prime MPG is if you drive it like a grandma, and very few people buy a sports car to do that.
Sure you have a point, but unless you live far far away from major cities or urban area with no presence of cops at all, the chances are you will be either doing 30mph in the city or 50-70mph on the highway most of the time.

Unless you are one of the few who only drive these cars one or twice a week on a sunny weekend, but these are Porsches after all, they are meant to be sports car that are also excellent daily drivers.

While it doesn't make much sense for low volume exotics like Ferrari and Lamborghini to care about emission and fuel efficiency, it does for Porsche due to the nature of their car and their targeted market.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:35 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by strumbringer
The article gets a lot of the science wrong. This one, still light on the science, at least is accurate in the little it does say. http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...12765/4306310/

FWIW, I have not heard of a modern turbo engine that is less efficient in the real world than an NA engine with the same output, driven the same way. Maybe if you are pedal to the metal *all* the time - although even then a well-designed turbo engine should be in the same ballpark, and much more efficient when you're cruising on the highway. And it turns out most spend less time accelerating sharply than you do maintaining speed.

(FWIW, this applies to supercharges too - any kind of well designed forced induction is, IRL, more efficient than a larger displacement NA).
I think the best way of explaining the issues to audience with little technical background would be this.

Turbochargers allow the engine to make the same power output at a small engine displacement. So at idle or low boost scenario, the engine will be a lot less thirsty comparing to a NA engine that makes the same power output. Why? Because due to the larger displacement of the NA engine, it needs more air and fuel just to keep it spinning (since you cannot lean out the engine too much without running the risk of burning your valves or engine knocks), while a turbocharged engine, with small engine displacement, sucks in less air at low boost scenario which in turns uses less fuel.

At high boost, high power output scenario, you are still burning through the same amount of air and fuel (DFI combined with turbos do allow for slightly leaner AFR however) to produce the same peak power. So the fuel saving is less noticeable despite the decreased in the engine displacement.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:09 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Take the time to read. A very good article ...

"WE DON'T LIKE THE TURBO," SAID THE MAN WITH THE ITALIAN ACCENT

I'd like to hear any debate from anything in the article!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...turbocharging/
That is a great find and article! Having experienced tt technology for the first time in my M4 I could not agree more with this article. It is spot on.
Jim
Old 07-25-2015, 10:55 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Interestingly, not everyone is going the turbo route. I just got an email about the new Lexus GS F which has a 5L normally aspirated engine that they have been able to tweak to 467 hp using older technologies like forged connecting rods and titanium valves all the while getting 3% better efficiency. This is the kind of progress I like the sound of. I wonder if it is a 'European thing'. I had an old Lexus GS400 for a long time and it was a really good reliable car.
Jim
Old 07-25-2015, 11:56 PM
strumbringer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Interestingly, not everyone is going the turbo route. I just got an email about the new Lexus GS F which has a 5L normally aspirated engine that they have been able to tweak to 467 hp using older technologies like forged connecting rods and titanium valves all the while getting 3% better efficiency. This is the kind of progress I like the sound of. I wonder if it is a 'European thing'. I had an old Lexus GS400 for a long time and it was a really good reliable car.
Jim
FWIW, on the RC-F that engine yields 25% less torque and 10% less power than a 911TT (33% and 21% less than a 911TTS), with about the same rated gas mileage. Fun fact: Turbocharging (and supercharging) was invented to increase performance with less increase in weight and size, not to save fuel - that's just a nice side effect.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:33 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by strumbringer
FWIW, on the RC-F that engine yields 25% less torque and 10% less power than a 911TT (33% and 21% less than a 911TTS), with about the same rated gas mileage. Fun fact: Turbocharging (and supercharging) was invented to increase performance with less increase in weight and size, not to save fuel - that's just a nice side effect.
Also I believe they make their own atmosphere so to speak, so they are more powerful/efficient at altitude than their NA counterparts. At least thats what they used to say in the early 80s regarding turbo F1 performance vs Cosworth V8's - note this was before the dominance of Honda turbo F1 cars.

Might be why FI engines were the next step in WW2 aircraft engines - at altitude where air is thinner, FI engines still produce the power?
Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
Sure you have a point, but unless you live far far away from major cities or urban area with no presence of cops at all, the chances are you will be either doing 30mph in the city or 50-70mph on the highway most of the time.
That's just not true, and I live in the heart of Silicon Valley. Couple commuting, where I'm often using all the power of the cars in short bursts, with the weekend pleasure driving, where I'm often revving the **** out of the car, and it really wouldn't matter what I was driving. It's not what I drive, it's how I drive. Even if I was driving a Tesla, I'd be getting crappy range and likely overheating it constantly. The average enthusiast sports car buyer doesn't drive the way the average Nissan Leaf buyer, even in the same environs.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:05 AM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

That's just not true, and I live in the heart of Silicon Valley. Couple commuting, where I'm often using all the power of the cars in short bursts, with the weekend pleasure driving, where I'm often revving the **** out of the car, and it really wouldn't matter what I was driving. It's not what I drive, it's how I drive. Even if I was driving a Tesla, I'd be getting crappy range and likely overheating it constantly. The average enthusiast sports car buyer doesn't drive the way the average Nissan Leaf buyer, even in the same environs.
Well, not all enthusiast drive like a mad man pinning the gas throttle at every stop light. I think most mature individuals would save that kind of behavior to track events instead.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:16 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Well, not all enthusiast drive like a mad man pinning the gas throttle at every stop light. I think most mature individuals would save that kind of behavior to track events instead.
And you'd be wrong. Maybe you're just new to sports cars.

BTW, you don't have to even break the law to destroy your gas mileage. I can run through my favorite mountain road, at the speed limit, and get the ****tiest mileage imaginable, by keeping it dead in the power band so I can keep up a really good pace. Alternatively, I could drop it into auto mode, let the car make the lazy shifts, stay under the speed limit and get much better mileage. But have a lot less fun. I choose the former and, as such, it really doesn't matter what I'm driving when it comes to mpg. It's just gonna suck, no matter what.

If you want to debate fuel economy, emissions, morals, etc., we might want to take the discussion off Rennlist and over to Greencars.com, where a quorum of the posters really care.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:18 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 432 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I don't understand how the government can mandate what kind of engine you get in a car, especially a low volume car like a sports car.

Also, is it the case that having a smaller engine with turbos is more efficient when you're actually using the turbos? When you put your foot to the floor and the exhaust gas comes into the cylinder, doesn't it also call for more fuel? Do they test mpg with cars under hard acceleration? Everytime I read about forcing companies like Porsche or Ferrari to put tiny engines with turbos that ruins the sound and throttle input it gets me upset.
Nobody answered the OP 's question!
Old 07-26-2015, 01:27 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Karl911
Nobody answered the OP 's question!
Okay, let me try.

OP, Porsche is not a small manufacturer, from a regulatory perspective. Governments around the world have mandated certain fuel efficiency and emission standards that all manufacturers must meet across their fleet, including Porsche. The only way for some manufacturers to get there is through employing smaller, turbo charged motors, largely because of the manner in which the testing is done in Europe (i.e., turbo motors perform much better in the not so real world tests than NA motors.)

Re: the second part, when you drive both cars really hard, you're gonna wind up in basically the same place, crappy mileage. But when you drive it like a Prius owner, you'll get better mileage in the turbo car.

As an example, the twin turbo M4 coupe that everyone loves to use as an example of a successful deployment of this technology is rated 17/26 under the US standard. So just a shade under the 20/27 rating of my 991 C2S...
Old 07-26-2015, 01:29 AM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

And you'd be wrong. Maybe you're just new to sports cars.

BTW, you don't have to even break the law to destroy your gas mileage. I can run through my favorite mountain road, at the speed limit, and get the ****tiest mileage imaginable, by keeping it dead in the power band so I can keep up a really good pace. Alternatively, I could drop it into auto mode, let the car make the lazy shifts, stay under the speed limit and get much better mileage. But have a lot less fun. I choose the former and, as such, it really doesn't matter what I'm driving when it comes to mpg. It's just gonna suck, no matter what.

If you want to debate fuel economy, emissions, morals, etc., we might want to take the discussion off Rennlist and over to Greencars.com, where a quorum of the posters really care.
I fail to see any of your ad hominem arguments bring any validity to what you are saying.

Maybe you drive just really good at getting incredibly bad gas mileage on public road, maybe not??? What do I know anyway? I am just a newbie on this forum, even though I track my current car and bike (both of which are BMW) on the local road courses more than dozen of times a year.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:40 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I fail to see any of your ad hominem arguments bring any validity to what you are saying.

Maybe you drive just really good at getting incredibly bad gas mileage on public road, maybe not??? What do I know anyway? I am just a newbie on this forum, even though I track my current car and bike (both of which are BMW) on the local road courses more than dozen of times a year.
So explain to me, if turbo charging is the answer, why does the M4 have a lower EPA MPG rating (30% lower in the city) than my C2S? And at the same time is slower around the racetrack. Just curious how that is progress. Can you explain, because I'd love to hear it.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:43 AM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

So explain to me, if turbo charging is the answer, why does the M4 have a lower EPA MPG rating (30% lower in the city) than my C2S? And at the same time is slower around the racetrack. Just curious how that is progress. Can you explain, because I'd love to hear it.
You got it, please see my reply in the other thread!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:05 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Okay, let me try.

OP, Porsche is not a small manufacturer, from a regulatory perspective. Governments around the world have mandated certain fuel efficiency and emission standards that all manufacturers must meet across their fleet, including Porsche. The only way for some manufacturers to get there is through employing smaller, turbo charged motors, largely because of the manner in which the testing is done in Europe (i.e., turbo motors perform much better in the not so real world tests than NA motors.)

Re: the second part, when you drive both cars really hard, you're gonna wind up in basically the same place, crappy mileage. But when you drive it like a Prius owner, you'll get better mileage in the turbo car.

As an example, the twin turbo M4 coupe that everyone loves to use as an example of a successful deployment of this technology is rated 17/26 under the US standard. So just a shade under the 20/27 rating of my 991 C2S...
I wish I got this kind of mileage w my M4. Actually I think it does come pretty close in 7th gear on the fwy, but driving around town and on my local country roads I think the mileage is pretty bad.
Jim

Quick Reply: Are turbo engines more efficient when driven hard?