Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your Children Driving Your 911?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 PM
CMR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 16 year old daughter got her driver's permit several months ago. She's a much better driver now, and I let her drive my C4S whenever we are going somewhere together.

She used to make fun of me for having the car. It was too "flashy" and was a car for people who needed to "show off."

I was recently vindicated when I put it in sport mode and told her to floor it. She actually turned to me and said "O.K., I get it now." Now if she'd only approve of my clothing choices...
Old 07-23-2015, 07:19 PM
Dave_M
Track Day

I learned to drive on my fathers 88 911 at the age of 15 or 16. Missed a few gears but caught on quick and never looked back. Learning on older cars really makes you understand the importance of driving and not relying on all the electronics of todays cars, at least for someone my age.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Koriel
Intermediate

I had a friend in high school whose dad owned an exotic car dealship. The father frequently gave his son the keys to the Roll-Royce, but he never let him touch the 928.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:48 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My son is 20, and my daughter 17. Neither can drive a manual. Actually, my daughter wants nothing to do with my cars.

My son has ideas on putting some money into my 928 and taking it over. A paint job wouldn't hurt it. The interior is in pretty good shape for being >30 years old. But his G/Fs uncle does great interior work, so he wants to get that freshened up.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:51 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm "treating" my then-to-be-17-year-old to a PCA Drivers Skills course next year after she's had 6-9 months' driving. I had her out in a base 981 Cayman manual on her learners' permit to give her insight into a manual transmission and she did well (I've got a system). So she thought is was cool. Our younger grandkids think the 911 is cool. Our kids - "meh". Oh where did I go wrong!!! Well, maybe I should be a bit more expressive about my willingness/desire to share the car and driving experience. I'm fussy about our cars and that's probably a bit off-putting.

So would I let my kids drive the cars? Yes for the grown-ups and yes in the not-so-distant future for the grandkids.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:25 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Taught my now 23 year old daughter on a VW bug. She quickly became proficient so we moved to the 996. She did fine there too except when we stopped on a hill��! My son is 15 and he loves my 911 but he won't be driving it without me in it too. I remember what I was like at that age. Lucky I never hurt myself or anyone else! My dad recently passed away and left my son his '08 Forrester! Perfect! I want my kids to work hard and make their way, and then maybe they too can drive a fine (Porsche) car someday; when they earn it!
Old 07-23-2015, 10:29 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I let my son drive my 991 C4S the day I got it even though he didn't have his learner's permit yet. Just parking lot stuff, but he'll never forget it.
Then I took him with me when I bought a Cayenne Turbo S 1200 miles from home and we shared the driving. He had his license at that point.
Tomorrow he will get to drive my Panamera Turbo S, the most beastly P car I have had so far. Can't wait to see the look on his face when I tell him to lay into it!
Old 07-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Milanno
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Its interesting to read past posts in this thread. You can see from member to member how close (emotionally) they are to their kids.

Hat down for all guys willing to share their car passion with their kids
Old 07-24-2015, 08:34 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 692 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
Luckily my daughter is only 8 so have a while to go... but when the time comes I'll buy her a beater Honda Civic or something. Whatever I'm driving at the time will continue to be off limits although that is partially a function of living downtown...
I think I'd buy my (now 8 year old) daughter the safest car I could find when the time comes and one that she is the least likely to get into trouble driving. Every kid is a bit different, some are risk takers and some aren't. I love my kids more than I could ever "love" a car. If she is cautious and a safe driver, I won't care which car she takes out of the garage, but if she is a thrill seeker, it wouldn't be a P car.

I'm reminded of a story I read a couple of years ago about a group of teens who lost their lives in one of the parent's BMW M5. They took the car to an abandoned airfield to see how fast it could go. They ran out of room to stop and launched off the end of a runway into a tree. The car was cut into pieces. I doubt they would have been testing a Hyundai Santa Fe like that.

So, when the time comes, we'll see what the kids are like. My 5 year old son is always up to something. His older sister, much more cautious.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:41 AM
Milanno
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kayjh
I'm reminded of a story I read a couple of years ago about a group of teens who lost their lives in one of the parent's BMW M5. They took the car to an abandoned airfield to see how fast it could go.
Forbidden fruit is the sweetest.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:42 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My oldest kid can out-drive me...he was the first one in my 991 when delivered & has been very responsible from the beginning.
My youngest could care-a-less about driving anything, period...all children are different.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:12 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

My daughter is six years old...and has already asked me if she can have the Porsche when she turns 16...

Clever girl lol!
Old 07-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 575 Posts

I've got a city kid who is 19 and just now getting interested in driving! The extra insurance is on the manual Golf so that is what he'll be learning to row in. Great little car and then we can move up to the P-car...
Old 07-24-2015, 11:22 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 207 Posts

I used to wait for my dad at our gates to arrive home from work in his 928S from about age 4 and he would let me steer down the driveway whilst sitting on his lap. I love those memories and It's where my thirst for a Porsche was born. I can't wait to do the same with a kid of my own one day. I will definitely let my kids drive my GT3 when they are old enough but only once they have learnt to appreciate the responsibility that comes with driving such a car.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:51 PM
dthacker
AutoX

My stepfather taught me to drive a mt in his 993 when I was 16, didn't hurt the car any. Always respected the car and learned to appreciate vehicles, grateful to have learned on that rather than "the wife hatchback"

Quick Reply: Your Children Driving Your 911?