Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 991.2's undisguised

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015 | 02:37 PM
Sharm
Pro

Default 10 991.2's undisguised

So are all the 991.2s going to have unpainted furnace-like grills as standard? Guess we'll now have to pay xtra for the current painted ones that come standard.
Old 07-23-2015 | 02:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sharm
So are all the 991.2s going to have unpainted furnace-like grills as standard? Guess we'll now have to pay xtra for the current painted ones that come standard.
painting might not even be an option!
Old 07-23-2015 | 02:53 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

It doesn't look as bad as I thought it might. From other pics, looks like the C4/4S will keep the center strip. The black rear grill isn't horrible. I wonder if a Sport Design package would change it? I just can't get enthused about the center exhaust on the C2S. Will it be for all S models or just C2S? Who knows.
Old 07-23-2015 | 02:55 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shaytun
It doesn't look as bad as I thought it might. From other pics, looks like the C4/4S will keep the center strip. The black rear grill isn't horrible. I wonder if a Sport Design package would change it? I just can't get enthused about the center exhaust on the C2S. Will it be for all S models or just C2S? Who knows.
Yeah no aero pkgs seen yet!

I would imagine that the ctr ex is S and the other is base ... no choice.
Old 07-23-2015 | 03:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Default 10 991.2's undisguised

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Yeah no aero pkgs seen yet!

I would imagine that the ctr ex is S and the other is base ... no choice.
Aero packages (if they exist) won't show up until later most likely. They weren't available on the 991.1 2012.5, but began in 2013.
Old 07-23-2015 | 03:36 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

I want those rear lights. Looks like Porsche is trying to highlight that the engine is in the rear. I like the contrast. Here's how the 911 looked once.
Attached Images  
Old 07-23-2015 | 04:22 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daddyscar
I want those rear lights. Looks like Porsche is trying to highlight that the engine is in the rear. I like the contrast. Here's how the 911 looked once.
but putting one vintage 1960 s inspired detail - that busy tray like slatted grill - on a modern Porsche 911 does the same thing it did to it way back when ..makes the rear end look skinny and " butt in the air " ...not congruent with the lower, wider sports car design paradigm of the last 4 decades .

they did the same thing with the new Targa...using again a 1960 s vintage inspired item. - the steel - colored Targa hoop - that does not go well with todays 911 that lacks chrome outside and the modern desire of many to spec darker wheels..shoulda come in matte black like the 80s Targa for these reasons
Old 07-23-2015 | 04:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

But the majority of those slats are horizontal. If they were vertical, like the 991.2, that car would have looked very different from the rear.

What's interesting to me is, when I look quickly at the pics of those cars in Monterey, the rear view looks a lot more like a Cayman to me. The vertical slats coupled with the rear window, trick my brain into seeing them more as one, like the rear hatch of the Cayman. And when you couple that with the close set exhast and the revised bumper, it looks very Cayman-esque at first glance. And the front bumper looks almost straight off a Cayman GTS until you compare closely and see the reversed angles.
Old 07-23-2015 | 07:45 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MKW
but putting one vintage 1960 s inspired detail - that busy tray like slatted grill - on a modern Porsche 911 does the same thing it did to it way back when ..makes the rear end look skinny and " butt in the air " ...not congruent with the lower, wider sports car design paradigm of the last 4 decades .

they did the same thing with the new Targa...using again a 1960 s vintage inspired item. - the steel - colored Targa hoop - that does not go well with todays 911 that lacks chrome outside and the modern desire of many to spec darker wheels..shoulda come in matte black like the 80s Targa for these reasons
It's always tough dropping vintage design details into a current design. It's clearly polarizing. For me, based on the first photo, I simply like it. I like the contrast. I like how the shape of the rear grill follows the roof line and rear window line. Together with the added depth of the new rear lights, I just like new rear. I actually really like the new Targa. I'll always go with a full convertible instead, but I admire the new Targa when I see it.

So far I'm not liking the front based on current photos. I don't like the lower air damn. The headlights also look like they have been flattened. I love the 991.1 headlights as is. Final judgment on the new 991.2 will wait until I see one in person.

Last edited by daddyscar; 07-23-2015 at 10:46 PM. Reason: speling
Old 07-23-2015 | 11:22 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
But the majority of those slats are horizontal. If they were vertical, like the 991.2, that car would have looked very different from the rear.

What's interesting to me is, when I look quickly at the pics of those cars in Monterey, the rear view looks a lot more like a Cayman to me. The vertical slats coupled with the rear window, trick my brain into seeing them more as one, like the rear hatch of the Cayman. And when you couple that with the close set exhast and the revised bumper, it looks very Cayman-esque at first glance. And the front bumper looks almost straight off a Cayman GTS until you compare closely and see the reversed angles.
Maybe Porsche is preparing us to for an even bigger 911. Those black rear vents will help break up the extended rear as they lengthen the wheelbase.
Old 07-24-2015 | 04:53 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

It's always tough dropping vintage design details into a current design. It's clearly polarizing. For me, based on the first photo, I simply like it. I like the contrast. I like how the shape of the rear grill follows the roof line and rear window line. Together with the added depth of the new rear lights, I just like new rear. I actually really like the new Targa. I'll always go with a full convertible instead, but I admire the new Targa when I see it.

So far I'm not liking the front based on current photos. I don't like the lower air damn. The headlights also look like they have been flattened. I love the 991.1 headlights as is. Final judgment on the new 991.2 will wait until I see one in person.
maybe its a generational thing ...the " vintage " aspects we are talking about were " contermpoary " to me at the time they were new cars ...perhaps they are " historical " to you ?

Quick Reply: 10 991.2's undisguised