Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! I need a windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015 | 02:19 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Default Help!! I need a windshield

Last week a baseball sized rock hit my windshield on a 2014 Carrera S convertible and left a huge round crack. Its definitely beyond repair, and needs to be replaced.

My insurance company first tried Safelite - they wanted to put an aftermarket one on, and really had no idea how to do the install.

My dealer insists that because I have a convertible, its fairly complicated, and will take up to 2 days to cure (they say it is somewhat "spring loaded" so it needs to be clamped while curing). Here is the kicker - they say that there are none available nearby (I live in NYC), so they need to order from Germany, with a minimum one month leadtime.

The car isn't drivable, so a month (especially as it eats pretty much the rest of the summer) is a really long time for me.

Assuming I am willing to pay a premium, whether in shipping or whatever, does anyone have any ideas where I can find an OEM windshield in less time?
Old 07-20-2015 | 02:29 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I'd contact either suncoast parts or sunset in Oregon, but if your dealer says they need to order from Germany then its probably not in stock in N.A anywhere

Ask them how long it would take to arrive if they order it PDX from PCNA/PAG this was express ordering AFAIK its should only take days not weeks

only alternative is get safelite to put in aftermarket and order the OEM part as well

BTW I really wonder if the dealer is correct about the install; on the production line these are installed
by a robot and "cure" for about 3 minutes before the car moves onto the next station on the line ... so it doesn't sit around for 3 days!!! - can they do it w/o pulling the dash?
Old 07-20-2015 | 02:59 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I'd contact either suncoast parts or sunset in Oregon, but if your dealer says they need to order from Germany then its probably not in stock in N.A anywhere

Ask them how long it would take to arrive if they order it PDX from PCNA/PAG this was express ordering AFAIK its should only take days not weeks

only alternative is get safelite to put in aftermarket and order the OEM part as well

BTW I really wonder if the dealer is correct about the install; on the production line these are installed
by a robot and "cure" for about 3 minutes before the car moves onto the next station on the line ... so it doesn't sit around for 3 days!!! - can they do it w/o pulling the dash?
Thanks - I just called the parts department and its only $84 to expedite and get it here in 4 business days. Of course nothing is easy, as now the dealer is saying it is a month until they have an appointment, but there are a lot of dealers out there....
Old 07-20-2015 | 03:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JeremyR
Thanks - I just called the parts department and its only $84 to expedite and get it here in 4 business days. Of course nothing is easy, as now the dealer is saying it is a month until they have an appointment, but there are a lot of dealers out there....
now that's a deal ... ridiculous that they cannot find an appt for a month, I think its time to find another dealer...

Also ask who actually does their installs, I'll wager its Safellite ...
Old 07-20-2015 | 03:23 PM
mmaturo
Racer

now that's a deal ... ridiculous that they cannot find an appt for a month, I think its time to find another dealer...

Me too. When I had a quick needed replacement on my R8 and my RS5 it was done at the dealer and luckily the parts were in the US (at a parts distribution luckily also in the SE in my area so only one day away) getting the last one of both but indeed it was an outside vendor that came in with his truck that may have been safelite but one particular representative that they use in the area that does better than average job.

The annoying factor here is that your dealer didn't do their best to get you the right answer the first time. It is time to find a service advisor/department that does the right job for you and finds out about the expediting etc and calls you back with what can happen including a faster appointment.
Old 07-20-2015 | 03:26 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

It isnt Safelite, but it is another outside vendor whose name is escaping me right now.

I agree that waiting a month is ridiculous. Now I just need to find another dealer who will give me loaners when I service there
Old 07-20-2015 | 03:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

One reason why many dealers use safelite to install is that they have the 'TrueSeal' placement system that mimics the factory robotic system to position and hold the glass while it bonds.
Old 07-20-2015 | 05:17 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Did you try New Country Porsche in Greenwich Connecticut?
Old 07-20-2015 | 05:22 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Thanks everyone.

I ended up having my dealer expedite one from Germany, and they found a slot to get me in early next week...
Old 07-20-2015 | 05:50 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone. I ended up having my dealer expedite one from Germany, and they found a slot to get me in early next week...
Great. Congrats.

Now, could you tell us a bit more about the "baseball-sized " rock that hit your car? Wife? Girlfriend? Both?
Old 07-20-2015 | 05:52 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hinckley
Great. Congrats.

Now, could you tell us a bit more about the "baseball-sized " rock that hit your car? Wife? Girlfriend? Both?
If only it was that exciting. Just your everyday NJ Turnpike flying debris that can kill you.
Old 07-20-2015 | 06:22 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I run Isuzu Delivery Trucks around town in my business, and because they are relatively low to the ground (for a truck) and have no hood or front to catch rocks, they blow out windshields from road debris like they are free popcorn at the movies. My prior truck to this one, had (17) windshields put in it over 10 years of use. I kid you not, SEVENTEEN! The mobile windshield guy I use would put a new one in and say "see you in 6 months" and he was pretty much right.

I traded it in on the same truck, newer model, in 2012 and now its been three years and I marvel that its still on its OEM windshield. Of course, now I just jinxed it.

P.S. Yes, I'm OCD on all my vehicles, just washed and waxed this today .... lol

Old 07-21-2015 | 10:48 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

How much does a new windshield cost?
Old 07-21-2015 | 10:53 AM
Condor
Advanced

Surprisingly cheap --- at least for my '13 C2S. About $1100.
Old 07-21-2015 | 11:52 AM
roadrat
Pro

Last week a baseball sized rock hit my windshield on a 2014 Carrera S convertible and left a huge round crack. Its definitely beyond repair, and needs to be replaced.

My insurance company first tried Safelite - they wanted to put an aftermarket one on, and really had no idea how to do the install.

My dealer insists that because I have a convertible, its fairly complicated, and will take up to 2 days to cure (they say it is somewhat "spring loaded" so it needs to be clamped while curing). Here is the kicker - they say that there are none available nearby (I live in NYC), so they need to order from Germany, with a minimum one month leadtime.

The car isn't drivable, so a month (especially as it eats pretty much the rest of the summer) is a really long time for me.

Assuming I am willing to pay a premium, whether in shipping or whatever, does anyone have any ideas where I can find an OEM windshield in less time?
Call other dealers. Mine had them in stock a few months after the 991 was released. They dont install them, but they recommended a vendor who met me at the dealership and installed it there. Mine is not a vert so didnt have that issue, but assuming its the same windshield, you should be able to at least find one and then find a reputable installer.

Quick Reply: Help!! I need a windshield