Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about upgrading from base to S or GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

OP, I considered a base Carrera for an afternoon, because my dealer got a car with a perfect build for me. Then I did a test drive back to back with an S and that was that. No way I would have been happy with the base car.

So my answer is yes, step up if you can. Whether you go S or GTS depends on two things IMO. Is the extra 30 HP worth it to you and do you prefer the wider body. Oh, and whether you want to spend a few more bucks or not.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:42 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Que sera sera

This is my car BTW.
717? Watermark? Looks familiar...
Old 07-19-2015, 08:10 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

OP, I guess I'm just going to reiterate a bunch of what has been said, but . . .

My first thought was like a lot of the others. Do you have enough space to park your car so that it does not go over the bumper stop? You'll have problems with any model that has the SportDesign bumper and even the standard bumper on the 991.2 looks lower than the standard bumper on the 991.1. So you'll need to think that thru carefully.

I'm not sure that the pull ahead program will be available in December and it may be very difficult if not impossible to "work a deal" for your six months of payments until December.

Getting your first Porsche off the lot is a smart thing to do as it allows you to learn about the car. But now that you know what you want, make sure you get what you want next time. Regret is a bitch with a $130K + car.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:41 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It's probably not economical to get out of your lease early (but then again what is economical about these cars).

Hopefully you didn't put any money down on the lease.

I would be open with a dealer you trust and let them know you want a '16 GTS (or S) and try to time the ordering of one to arrive in December, to take advantage of the 12 month pull ahead. Nothing is guaranteed, but couldn't see why the pull ahead wouldn't still be available then.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:32 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Question about upgrading from base to S or GTS

Originally Posted by LexVan
Do not buy the "S" or any car with PDCC. You'll never be able to park above concrete bump stops like that.
I thought that too but my S goes over all parking thingys like that without scraping as well as takes my driveway transition that almost always scrapes my Civic. Go figure.

I think the first 10mm drop is still within reasonable tolerances for the real world.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Do not buy the "S" or any car with PDCC. You'll never be able to park above concrete bump stops like that.
Really good point!
Old 07-20-2015, 07:38 AM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a 2013 base 991 PDK C2 for 18 months. Missed the MT so I sold it with 15K miles and ordered the GTS in Avatar.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:03 AM
Que sera sera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. Thank you to all for your responses, it has been pretty helpful. In the past couple of weeks I've visited a couple of dealerships and test drove a couple of '15 911 S's and a '15 4S as well. I'm still leaning on trying to get the best deal on an S '15, especially with the early 16's right around the corner. A couple of the dealers are actually willing to waive my remaining payments, most are not however (as a reminder I am in month 12 of a 29 month lease).

I also built a '16 S ($MSRP = ~$125K) and submitted the Porsche code to a couple of dealers. One stated a 5.5% discount off MSRP, the other at 4%, so not much off, at least not for me.

My dilemma now is: a) keep my Porsche code and "shop it around" to other dealers for the best deal (if I order it by the middle of Aug, by the time the car arrives in Dec I would be with 12 months left on my lease), b) wait for the end of the year for a phenomenal deal on any remaining '15 S's or 4S's (Iv'e decided the GTS is a little out of my range at this point, despite it's impressiveness), c) work on a deal that is brewing on a'15 4S at a particular dealership I visited in the last 2 days.

(Note: this '15 4S MSRP = $125K,the dealer is taking off about 10% of MSRP, but I also leased my '14 from here last year and sort of foolishly put a lot down for my lease, so I really am seeking a somewhat better deal - reasons's being I'm a "loyal" customer, it's near the end of the month. Also, after test driving the 4S, it seems more planted to me, especially on curves, which I like, and has most (but not quite all, but close) of the features I am looking for in my '16 build)

Quick Reply: Question about upgrading from base to S or GTS