991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the fence..997.2 S Cab to 991 GTS Cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015 | 01:37 AM
pcosta
Instructor

If you don't get an allocation for a GTS, you can probably get an allocation for Cab S. That was my back up option, and I think I would have been happy with it.

I know how you feel about your car, in one week I'll be trading in my 977 Cab 4S (MT, GT Silver, X51, interior Terracota). It will be painful. I love this car. I thought for a while about keeping it, the issue is that I don't have the garage space and I wouldn't have the time to drive both cars, plus a Macan Turbo, so the rational part of my brain prevailed, but maybe, if I could get a GT4, I would find a way of squeezing it in...

I just checked around the dealerships in my area and found 3 GTS, one coupe and two cabs. So you should be able to find something close to what you want, but you may have to move fast
Old 07-15-2015 | 07:52 AM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Can't decide whether the red top says hookers and blow or "Hello, my name is Caitlyn."
Old 07-15-2015 | 09:18 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Red Top on that car says "I left my taste behind over on the Acura Integra forum".
Old 07-15-2015 | 12:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Red Top on that car says "I left my taste behind over on the Acura Integra forum".
its not the prettiest is it?
Old 07-15-2015 | 11:06 PM
TBC63
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
its not the prettiest is it?

Dealer offering to swap the top to black. Speaks to limited market for a red top. retail cost $6500? Not sure what actual dealer cost is.
Old 07-15-2015 | 11:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TBC63
Dealer offering to swap the top to black. Speaks to limited market for a red top. retail cost $6500? Not sure what actual dealer cost is.
Holy sh*t ... Well that's an option but for resale it could be a liability
Old 07-16-2015 | 12:35 AM
Porluv
Intermediate

I had a 997.2 4s cab white with black which I loved and now have a 991 GTS cab agate with red top I was not sure about the top but now I like it it grew on me. It's a head turner for good reasons not bad taste type of looks. The car is a big step forward compared to 997.2 go for it you'll not regret it

My 2 cents
Old 07-16-2015 | 04:55 AM
mmaturo
Racer

I'm in the minority of this thread of liking the red top. I like the contrast and the uniqueness of it. Anyway 991 vs your 997 do it. the differences in the interior of everything you touch and look at daily is that much better designed as is the rest of the car. Do it. However with these cars I would do my best to find one somewhere to pull something off the price of doing the order but if you are ok with that then even then you will like the 991 that much better. If you are asking you already know the answer.
Old 07-16-2015 | 05:06 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Holy sh*t ... Well that's an option but for resale it could be a liability
I'm the guy that would buy the car with the red top everyday over a black top especially with a red interior so they do exist. Its not a yellow or odd bright green car so it will not matter. I owned a car (not a Porsche) with a red top and interior though half red/black with a black exterior but the car sold in no time. My price point for a 13 or 14 Carrera S was a particular number that is very high but if a cabrio was in that range I would jump and jump extra for a unique car over a black on grey blah blah blah. Its personal preference but the more I spend time here and watch the great post by STG911 with the cars out there for sale...the options barely matter and I'm not sure the colors do as much. You will be within a couple grand either way on trade or sale regardless of the color...on cars at 100K to new prices to well past 100 it just doesn't matter. But buy what you want however 10 grand or more off a car on the lot is actually money in the bank over a new order car.
Old 07-16-2015 | 09:33 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

I went from a 2012 997.2 GTS to a 991 GTS. I think the 991 GTS is better in every way, although that doesn't mean that the 997.2 GTS was bad. I loved the car and thought I would just keep it until I didn't want a 911. But, the 991 GTS is really a better car. The longer wheelbase and wider front track makes the car handle so much better. I am 6'1" and 200 lbs, so I also like the additional interior room.

As far as the red top goes, that is not for me.
Old 07-16-2015 | 11:16 AM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mmaturo
I'm the guy that would buy the car with the red top everyday over a black top especially with a red interior so they do exist. Its not a yellow or odd bright green car so it will not matter. I owned a car (not a Porsche) with a red top and interior though half red/black with a black exterior but the car sold in no time. My price point for a 13 or 14 Carrera S was a particular number that is very high but if a cabrio was in that range I would jump and jump extra for a unique car over a black on grey blah blah blah. Its personal preference but the more I spend time here and watch the great post by STG911 with the cars out there for sale...the options barely matter and I'm not sure the colors do as much. You will be within a couple grand either way on trade or sale regardless of the color...on cars at 100K to new prices to well past 100 it just doesn't matter. But buy what you want however 10 grand or more off a car on the lot is actually money in the bank over a new order car.
actually you may have misunderstood my remark; I was saying that if the dealer replaces the red top with a black one, if/when the buyer comes to
resell the car the fact that the top color does not match the factory option
list might discourage some buyers (replacing the top is a pretty major
piece of surgery)
Old 07-16-2015 | 03:28 PM
TBC63
Instructor

Then I found this baby out in Cali but I think it sold yesterday. I have 13 Black/Black Panamera S and it is the love hate with the color. I do love how this combo makes the drop top look like a coupe and has a splash of color when looking in.

Still working on finding car yet to be locked for a build. Zeroing in. Larry your thoughts on future resale on car that swapped tops are right on. It would give me some pause, maybe not prevent the sale, but make me dig deeper. The Red top does pop! It's just not my preference.
Old 07-16-2015 | 03:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

TBC63 checkout sonnen they had 3 GTS cabs last time I looked.
Old 07-16-2015 | 03:43 PM
TBC63
Instructor

TBC63 checkout sonnen they had 3 GTS cabs last time I looked.
They do but not in the color I seek. I've narrowed my exterior down to Agate (brown to you!) or Black.

I just found a dealer with a build about to lock that I can make changes to!

2016 GTS Cab
Black/Black Top
Garnet / Black Int
Premium Pkg Plus
18 way Seats
Leather Seats Backs in Red Leather
Park Assist with Backup Cam
Painted Side Skirts and Rear Fascia
LED Headlights PDLS in Black
PDK
Sport Design Steering Wheel
PDCC
Power Steering Plus
Smoking Pkg
Rear Footwell Lighting
Rear Center Tunnel Stitching
Porsche Crest on headrest
Carbon Fiber Interior Pkg w Center Console Incl
Caron Fiber PDK Shifter
Carbon Fiber Illum Door Sills

Whatcha ya'll think!?
Old 07-16-2015 | 04:08 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TBC63
They do but not in the color I seek. I've narrowed my exterior down to Agate (brown to you!) or Black.

I just found a dealer with a build about to lock that I can make changes to!

2016 GTS Cab
Black/Black Top
Garnet / Black Int
Premium Pkg Plus
18 way Seats
Leather Seats Backs in Red Leather
Park Assist with Backup Cam
Painted Side Skirts and Rear Fascia
LED Headlights PDLS in Black
PDK
Sport Design Steering Wheel
PDCC
Power Steering Plus
Smoking Pkg
Rear Footwell Lighting
Rear Center Tunnel Stitching
Porsche Crest on headrest
Carbon Fiber Interior Pkg w Center Console Incl
Caron Fiber PDK Shifter
Carbon Fiber Illum Door Sills

Whatcha ya'll think!?
order it - minus PDCC & power steering plus

not sure what leather options you have ticked, but "GTS' is usually stitched into the headrest ... selecting the crest will replace that.

oh one more thing, you may want to paint the headlight washers to the ext color also.

Last edited by Larry Cable; 07-16-2015 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply: On the fence..997.2 S Cab to 991 GTS Cab