Driver Side Wind Whistling with window up

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 03:45 PM
typecase
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Side Wind Whistling with window up

Hello,

I tried searching for this but didn't find a topic exactly like this. (mostly wind noise with the window down)

I am having problems with wind noise (whistling, turbulence) when the car is going above 70mph that's coming from the the drivers side window with the window completely up. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the door seal and when that didn't solve the problem, they adjusted my window a bit. The problem is the noise is still there. The car has been back and forth to the dealer for this problem a few times now and it's becoming frustrating and I'm wondering if this something other 991 owners are dealing with (I have a carrera coupe).

Is this a common problem and have you just made peace with it or is it something that can be solved?

Any help appreciated.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:51 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Are the door gaps the same as the passanger door? Have they looked at and evaluated the side mirror as a potential issue?
Old 07-06-2015, 04:22 PM
typecase
Advanced

The gaps look the same to my untrained eye. The mirrors were considered an unlikely source given that there's no issue on the passenger side and the mirrors are identical. I take it you don't have this issue?
Old 07-06-2015, 05:34 PM
ent
Advanced

I don't have this noise. I hope you find a solution.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:03 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Can you tell us which door seal they replaced. (The one attached to the door or the one on the frame of the car?)

At the front of your door you have a little black rubber piece (triangular) into which the glass slides. It is actually a deceivingly large piece which runs along then length of the window and then down the back of the door.
It is very common to see this piece fail or rip and if the tear is big enough you'll end up with wind noise.

I had this fail (and replaced) on my passenger side and the noise was ridiculous.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Poluski
AutoX

Yes I've had whistling on the driver side with window up. Had nothing to do with the seals or the window. It was the mirror. I first noticed it on my drive immediately after I had the 3M protective film added to my mirrors. Not sure if it was the film but I'm certain it was the mirror. It even whistled when I put the window down while on the highway. Putting a finger on top of the mirror would make the whistle go away. This happened at highway speeds with certain wind conditions. My remedy was putting three clear rubber/vinyl half sphere bumpers I got at Ace Hardware store right in front of the groove on top side of the mirror. Just to break up the airflow over the top edge. Problem has been gone for months. Just a little airflow disruption does the trick. Other more visually appealing solutions might work as well. I'd give that a shot.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 PM
TheEngineer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it the issue discussed in this thread? https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8033...w-whistle.html
The following users liked this post:
harlemdakota (11-04-2022)
Old 07-07-2015, 12:46 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Poluski
Yes I've had whistling on the driver side with window up. Had nothing to do with the seals or the window. It was the mirror. I first noticed it on my drive immediately after I had the 3M protective film added to my mirrors. Not sure if it was the film but I'm certain it was the mirror. It even whistled when I put the window down while on the highway. Putting a finger on top of the mirror would make the whistle go away. This happened at highway speeds with certain wind conditions. My remedy was putting three clear rubber/vinyl half sphere bumpers I got at Ace Hardware store right in front of the groove on top side of the mirror. Just to break up the airflow over the top edge. Problem has been gone for months. Just a little airflow disruption does the trick. Other more visually appealing solutions might work as well. I'd give that a shot.
WOW great fix. I need to do that as well. I have a bunch of those little bumpers around here somewhere. Once the clear material was placed on my mirrors it started as well.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:25 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interesting diagnosis.
So it must mean its on both sides, since both mirrors have the PPF?
I have PPF and a slight whistle.

So it must be because the film does not cover the whole mirror?
A full wrap (of the entire mirror body) might aleviate the problem?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:51 AM
typecase
Advanced

Originally Posted by duxsi
Can you tell us which door seal they replaced. (The one attached to the door or the one on the frame of the car?)
The large rubber seal around the door that fits all the way around.

Originally Posted by Poluski
That's extremely astute. I do have a clear protection on the mirror. I'll have to see how that makes a difference. Thanks for the advice!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:09 AM
autobahnA8
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar issue - the window motor wasn't pushing the glass 100% closed which was causing the whistle. Went away at low speeds and appeared / got louder as speed increased. It's been a few years, but I think they just replaced the motor and checked the alignments and all was fixed.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:49 PM
911Enthusiast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly the same issue started on my 1.5 months old '15 911 GTS. High-pitched sound from driver side window starts @ around 65mph. Becomes really becomes irritating @ 85mph.

Took it to local dealer. At first test-drive w/ a tech, they declined there being an issue. On second test-drive w/ a different tech, they acknowledged the problem. But, weren't able to identify a source.

So, I'll bring it back to dealer in a few weeks for them to check a couple of things like:
1. seal @ mirror and door intersection
2. adjust window tilt angle + height

keep y'all posted...
Would love to see those w/ this problem get a resolution.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:52 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

What worked for me, was what I found on the other thread, when you turn the car on you pause between the "electrics on" and "start engine" positions of the fake key thing. Then it has a little more time to seat the window and doesn't squeal.
Old 04-07-2016, 05:07 PM
911Enthusiast
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dewinator
What worked for me, was what I found on the other thread, when you turn the car on you pause between the "electrics on" and "start engine" positions of the fake key thing. Then it has a little more time to seat the window and doesn't squeal.
I did try to manually raise the window once the noise starts. But, to no avail. I'll give the pause method a shot, and let you guys! Its rather annoying to be restricted to driving such a car at grandma speeds
Old 04-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Enthusiast
I did try to manually raise the window once the noise starts. But, to no avail. I'll give the pause method a shot, and let you guys! Its rather annoying to be restricted to driving such a car at grandma speeds
Hmmm you might be out of luck then because manual up works for me if I forgot to pause on starting engines checklist.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Wind Whistling with window up