Sponsored by:

Is a Singer the ultimate Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:40 AM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Yard Dog
There are guys on here asking what color they should order their $200K Turbo S in because they don't know what to do and other guys creating polls because they don't know which rims to put on their car. Guys who can't dress Barbie can't tell you what the ultimate Porsche is, and even the guys who have something worthwhile to offer here won't agree on what the ultimate Porsche is. The ultimate Porsche is whatever you think it is. FWIW, I like the Singer and gave it a long, hard look. You can't get much of one for $350K as you probably know. The bill now is $600K plus. The thing is a work of art, but that is part of the problem. A new 911 is a work of art so precious that there are threads asking if RListers park at the mall or drive in the rain. For what a Singer costs I can get four or five new 911s the way I want them, drive them hard and walk away a happy man. Hey, I know what art is when it comes to cars. It's something I enjoy driving and am not a slave to.
Completely agree that the "ultimate Porsche is whatever you think it is." Which, at least to me, does beg the question about what is your ultimate Porsche? It was fun for me to think about and answer. And I wouldn't presume to answer for any other enthusiast. It seems to me a very personal thing get you either enjoy sharing or keeping to yourself.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:42 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No.

It's not even a Porsche. Strictly speaking.
Porsche frame.
Porsche engine.
Porsche dash.
Porsche glass (I think).
Seems kinda 'Porsche' to me.

We've all seen reworked 911s and 986s and 928s and 944s with flares, and roll bars, and replacement wheels, and reworked engines, and superchargers, and even v8s (now THAT'S not Porsche), and so on---and yet, they are regarded as Porsches. Even the VW-powered 914 (whoops, did I type that out loud?)
But somehow, the Singer is not enough Porsche to be one.

Fine. So be it, Puristas. The best SINGER I'd like to own would be a Singer. Whereupon, all of the mere Porsche owners (including my former self, were I wealthy enough to get it in the first place) could just drop down on all fours and kiss my ***. Because the Singer is, for what ever it is, in my opinion, the best iteration of the Porsche concept that I have ever seen. And unlike some on these threads, I've been driving them for more than 20 years, and ogling them for 40.
Doesn't make me an expert, but it certainly brings some longitudinal perspective, in contrast to those who look at the 993, for example as an 'old school classic'.

Flame away; doesn't matter, as I'll never have one, nor will most anyone on Rennlist (other than SuperQuant, who I believe has one on the E Coast?). To each his own. After all, some people don't even believe that the 996 C4S is the most attractive thing on four wheels since the '94 964 Widebody.
(Philistines...)
Too expensive? YES. A narrowly defined ideal by a single individual? ABSOLUTELY. Less powerful and less technologically advanced than many vehicles that are far less expensive? You bet.
And, so what. It's beautiful. I'd drive that thing with a 1.5L Honda engine, if I had to. The fact that it carries a 3.8-4L enhanced Porsche engine only perfects the concept.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:27 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 229 Likes on 123 Posts

Well-reasoned post, Valkuri.

Here's what the Singer actually does for me. I'll never own one, simply because I'm just too analytical to fork over .5M for what it is, plus the fact one must jump through some big hoops to even get access to a Singer.

BUT... it still serves a real purpose for me. My next 911 will most likely be a 3.2 Carrera. I want the world's best, or close to it. Big engine, proper stance, subtly upgraded wheels/tires/stance, simple but elegantly reworked interior, ice-cold AC, and maybe even a back-dated bodykit, but that's not imperative.

If I compare the cost of this theoretical Carrera to a really good but not over-the-top 3.2 with 50,000 miles, I will have a heart-attack. But if I compare it in my mind to how much I'm saving over a Singer, and only giving up the basketweave leather dash and the cool Weidman 17" RSR-looking Fuchs (at least that's all I'll tell myself I'm giving up), then the price, even in the low-six-figures, will look like a tremendous bargain.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,459 Likes on 2,262 Posts

Ultimate Porsche is the one you cannot afford EVER but desperately desire!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Is a Singer the ultimate Porsche?

The one I used to admire in high school.

Look at those performance numbers for late 1980's!
Attached Images     
Old 07-09-2015, 07:51 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^
Yeah, that might be the one.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:09 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

^^

Yeah, but would you take it to the mall?
Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
The one I used to admire in high school. Look at those performance numbers for late 1980's!
Come visit me in California. We'll take a drive to Canepa to check out at least one (and depending on the day, maybe several) in person. Won't take much arm twisting, I don't suspect, to rope Larry in to the adventure.

The trouble is, when you're there, you just might get another idea for the answer to the question.

But this is a strong answer!
Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 PM
Yard Dog
Instructor

Originally Posted by Holli82
^^

Yeah, but would you take it to the mall?
No, and I wouldn't drive it in the rain, either. It's not a car I would consider owning, but it is an easy car to admire. So much came out of it. And yeah, you got me.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
Come visit me in California. We'll take a drive to Canepa to check out at least one (and depending on the day, maybe several) in person. Won't take much arm twisting, I don't suspect, to rope Larry in to the adventure.

The trouble is, when you're there, you just might get another idea for the answer to the question.

But this is a strong answer!
Now that would be the "ultimate adventure" and one hell of a day. I'm shipping my car over tomorrow
Old 07-09-2015, 11:02 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
Now that would be the "ultimate adventure" and one hell of a day. I'm shipping my car over tomorrow
Come ahead!

It's really something anyone with Porsche or cars in their blood MUST do. The first time I visited was a year ago and I've been there four times since. The first time I babbled for 90 minutes. I was so blissed-out by all of the legendary cars in the museum, showroom and shop, that I pretty much couldn't form a coherent sentence. Thankfully my wife understood, otherwise she'd have reasonably thought I was having a stroke.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:57 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I compare the cost of this theoretical Carrera to a really good but not over-the-top 3.2 with 50,000 miles, I will have a heart-attack. But if I compare it in my mind to how much I'm saving over a Singer, and only giving up the basketweave leather dash and the cool Weidman 17" RSR-looking Fuchs (at least that's all I'll tell myself I'm giving up), then the price, even in the low-six-figures, will look like a tremendous bargain.
Well put. Honestly, if I had the garage space and could convince She Who Is German that a fourth vehicle was necessary, I'd find a tired, so very tired 964 and 'Singerize' it myself. Nowhere near the technical mastery nor the carbon body; indeed, I prefer the 934 look, truth be told. But a well built engine, sharp interior with real woven leather, square weave carpets, carbon where plastic ought never have been, fuel cell with a hood filler...
The mind reels.
So, yes, I'd pass on the Singer (as if I had the choice), and instead gloat over my not-quite-a-Singer, for not-quite-$100,000.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:32 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Singer is great! And I congratulate them. 5 years ago nobody knew who they where. Now they have a long line of people waiting to spend $600-700k on a Singer. I absolutely Love the Singer style but I agree with previous post that it would be more fun to create your own"Singer"
Old 07-10-2015, 11:46 AM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Singer is a masterpiece, but if we're talking about what's the ultimate one-off 911, one must consider TechArt, Ruf, RWB, And Magnus Walker 911. It's too hard for me to choose honestly.

Quick Reply: Is a Singer the ultimate Porsche?