Dealership backed out on an agreed price

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:38 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dealership backed out on an agreed price

Isn't that messed up?

I walked in a dealership to check out some car. I saw a GTS and we (sales rep and sales manager) agreed on the price. Since the car was reserved for the General Manager, they couldn't get a hold of him but they assured me that he would let the car go. They would call me the next day to come in and fill out the paperwork. I called them and spoke to the GM and he said he couldn't give me any discount on the GTS. I told him we agreed on the price the other day and the discount was lower than other dealership. He said he can't speak for other dealership but I can't sell it lower than MSRP.

I know it's over already. I'm not going to take my car there for anything. I wouldn't even recommend any of my friends to use them for service.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,414 Likes on 2,517 Posts

Originally Posted by MinMay
Isn't that messed up?

I walked in a dealership to check out some car. I saw a GTS and we (sales rep and sales manager) agreed on the price. Since the car was reserved for the General Manager, they couldn't get a hold of him but they assured me that he would let the car go. They would call me the next day to come in and fill out the paperwork. I called them and spoke to the GM and he said he couldn't give me any discount on the GTS. I told him we agreed on the price the other day and the discount was lower than other dealership. He said he can't speak for other dealership but I can't sell it lower than MSRP.

I know it's over already. I'm not going to take my car there for anything. I wouldn't even recommend any of my friends to use them for service.
What am I missing? Then go buy it from the other dealership with the better discount.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:06 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

GM has the final say and I've yet to see a dealer around here willing to discount a GTS. If you found one, consider yourself lucky. I'm sure the sales guy honestly thought he could sell the car and I doubt there was any intent involved.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:15 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why make me spend over and hour with an agreed price? What a waste of time. I already ordered from the other dealership with a higher discount, but I would rather get less discount and drive the car home on that day. The sales manager should not accept my offer and said we got a deal without the GM consent. Anyhow, I'm just venting. I would think a verbal agreement would be good enough to reach a deal.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:32 AM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plenty of fawking cars. These dealers act like they're selling the Ebola cure. I'd say, buy a GTS from a reputable dealer and do a burnout on this dealer's lot.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:08 AM
ddodds
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Did you have a signed offer sheet?
Old 06-28-2015, 02:23 AM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
GM has the final say and I've yet to see a dealer around here willing to discount a GTS. If you found one, consider yourself lucky. I'm sure the sales guy honestly thought he could sell the car and I doubt there was any intent involved.
Why are dealers unwilling to discount a GTS? My assumption being they will happily discount base and S models.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:57 AM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by reuben991
Why are dealers unwilling to discount a GTS? My assumption being they will happily discount base and S models.
Here in So Cal, the dealer that sold me my C2S tried to sell me a 7MT GTS they had on the showroom floor. The GM gave me a pretty health discount. I didn't want the GTS, so they ended up getting my car from another dealer & still discounted it substainially. Not sure where you reside, but don't think that GTS's are that rare that one wouldn't expect some sort of reduction of price.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:04 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Dealership backed out on an agreed price

Why make me spend over and hour with an agreed price? What a waste of time. I already ordered from the other dealership with a higher discount, but I would rather get less discount and drive the car home on that day. The sales manager should not accept my offer and said we got a deal without the GM consent. Anyhow, I'm just venting. I would think a verbal agreement would be good enough to reach a deal.

What dealer are we taking about?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:28 AM
LexVan
Banned

So it's OK for you to agree to a price (and have a purchase agreement), and then back out of the deal (to buy a car sooner), but when a dealer wastes your time agreeing to a sale price the GM won't approve, you come here pissing and moaning? Hypocritical.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:34 AM
theporscheguy
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy the car that you have already agreed to purchase. Leave the other dealer/s alone.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NewtownGT3
Here in So Cal, the dealer that sold me my C2S tried to sell me a 7MT GTS they had on the showroom floor. The GM gave me a pretty health discount. I didn't want the GTS, so they ended up getting my car from another dealer & still discounted it substainially. Not sure where you reside, but don't think that GTS's are that rare that one wouldn't expect some sort of reduction of price.
+1.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:54 AM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
So it's OK for you to agree to a price (and have a purchase agreement), and then back out of the deal (to buy a car sooner), but when a dealer wastes your time agreeing to a sale price the GM won't approve, you come here pissing and moaning? Hypocritical.
I think he ordered the car at dealership B after he was turned down by dealership A. Dealer B means waiting longer, but lower price. Dealer A sells the car off the show room, but higher price.

Anyway, as a rule: written form on any agreement, and even then it requires both parties to want it.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Porsche911_S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theporscheguy
Buy the car that you have already agreed to purchase. Leave the other dealer/s alone.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:29 AM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by one-rennlist
I think he ordered the car at dealership B after he was turned down by dealership A. Dealer B means waiting longer, but lower price. Dealer A sells the car off the show room, but higher price.
Not the way I read it.

Quick Reply: Dealership backed out on an agreed price