Sponsored by:

Ways to Make 991 Sound Better?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:16 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Slantnose!
Isn't it possible to make the stock exhaust stay open all the time?
Yes, it is. If the car is an "S" with standard exhaust, or any 991 with PSE, it is simply a matter of disconnecting the vacumm line from the valves that open and close. Makes an all-the-time difference in deeper, throatier, crackling sound from the car. Yes, you will get a warning from the computer, but capping the end of the vacuum line eliminates that. There are a number of threads on this and the "Other" discussion board that go into this as a DIY. Very easy to do, takes only minutes, and about as long as that to put back to normal should you want to. Cheap sound mod with really no risks, etc.!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:47 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Ways to Make 991 Sound Better?

Originally Posted by hawc

I give up.
You're expecting an answer that doesn't exist.

I want my silver car to look black. No painting or a wrap either. Any ideas??

Last edited by STG; 06-26-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:53 AM
STG
Race Director

Can you put a Carrera S center muffler on a base 991? $650 with tips plus free shipping?? New take off muffler!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

Another. Muffler only. $300

Old 06-26-2015, 12:24 PM
hawc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
You're expecting an answer that doesn't exist.
Well to be fair there are some good non-exhaust suggestions here, but you're correct that I guess I'm not really sure what I'm asking for other than to make the engine sound 'better'.

I love the sound of the PSE, I've driven cars with it and it sounds great, but even then I feel like it's more exhaust noise then engine noise.

I think (and I may be wrong here) what I really liked about my 2.7L Cayman's engine was the induction noise and mechanical gear whine and engine mechanical noise.

Perhaps that's impossible to achieve with a 991 given the engine location and the sound deadening.

But maybe it is achievable with different air filters, removing some sound deadening or different intake plenums.

Anyway, that all I'm curious about and I appreciate the suggestions. I just don't want this to turn into a another exhaust thread because lord knows we've got enough of those.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Copy the soundtrack of an Aventadore or F12 at the Nurburgring onto a USB stick and play it loudly through the speakers when driving. For max effect instal a Burmeister sound system. That will give you all the sound and utility of any other solution! Technology complements of BMW
Old 06-26-2015, 04:09 PM
hawc
Racer

Can you put a Carrera S center muffler on a base 991? $650 with tips plus free shipping?? New take off muffler!

Another. Muffler only. $300

Curious what difference the C2S centre muffler over the C2 centre muffler? Is the C2S one noticeably louder?

Does the rear bumper cover have to be removed to install the new centre muffler?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:19 PM
STG
Race Director

Curious what difference the C2S centre muffler over the C2 centre muffler? Is the C2S one noticeably louder?
I'm sure somewhat louder. Not sure if it would be compatible with the C2 side mufflers though. As far as connection goes. You'd have to research.

I'm with you on not wanting this to turn into a 6Speed exhaust party, but you need to explore all options.

Look at the GT3 which at lower speeds sounds less aggressive than an C2S with PSE on. The GT3 doesn't come alive and the exhaust dampers don't open until pushed. No option of "always open". That car is a beast, but cruising around town can sound tame. Goes to show the challenges here.

What you experienced with your Cayman and using the engine as a backrest, isn't easy to duplicate on a C2.

Doing a plenum, and new airbox isn't cheap. Those things work better with the proper exhaust too. I'm perfectly fine with the PSE and not an aftermarket exhaust cheerleader.

Curious, ever driven in a 3.8 S with PSE?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,621 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I'm sure somewhat louder. Not sure if it would be compatible with the C2 side mufflers though. As far as connection goes. You'd have to research.

I'm with you on not wanting this to turn into a 6Speed exhaust party, but you need to explore all options.

Look at the GT3 which at lower speeds sounds less aggressive than an C2S with PSE on. The GT3 doesn't come alive and the exhaust dampers don't open until pushed. No option of "always open". That car is a beast, but cruising around town can sound tame. Goes to show the challenges here.

What you experienced with your Cayman and using the engine as a backrest, isn't easy to duplicate on a C2.

Doing a plenum, and new airbox isn't cheap. Those things work better with the proper exhaust too. I'm perfectly fine with the PSE and not an aftermarket exhaust cheerleader.

Curious, ever driven in a 3.8 S with PSE?
not the case on the 997 GT3s ... we have a button too!
Old 06-26-2015, 04:27 PM
hawc
Racer

Ever driven in a 3.8 S with PSE?
I did when test driving before purchase of this car. Sounded great, but way beyond my budget.

If I do go the exhaust modification route, I'll probably do the modification my dealership offers which is to remove some of the baffling inside the side mufflers. The head of service offers this modification for a littler over $1,000.

Here's what it sounds like:

How do different air filters change the engine sound? Or do they?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:29 PM
hawc
Racer

Ever driven in a 3.8 S with PSE?
I did when test driving before purchase of this car. Sounded great, but way beyond my budget.

If I do go the exhaust modification route, I'll probably do the modification my dealership offers which is to remove some of the baffling inside the side mufflers. The head of service offers this modification for a littler over $1,000.

Here's what it sounds like:

How do different air filters change the engine sound? Or do they?
Old 06-26-2015, 04:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
not the case on the 997 GT3s ... we have a button too!
Did not know that! Pretty nice.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Hawc, the air filters might make a small difference. Probably not enough for what you need. This muffler mod that your dealer offers sounds promising and not too expensive. The car in the vid sounded nice. Was an S, but I'm sure you'd see a big difference in your C2 as well. Probably the most bang for your buck. Better to stay away from engine mods too which are $$, and possible warranty issues.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I think (and I may be wrong here) what I really liked about my 2.7L Cayman's engine was the induction noise and mechanical gear whine and engine mechanical noise.

Perhaps that's impossible to achieve with a 991 given the engine location and the sound deadening.
It's the induction noise you're hearing coupled with the proximity to your ear. Don't think you're gonna get a similar sound from the Carrera regardless of what you do.

I have a 981 CS with PSE and a 991C2S without PSE, and I honestly think the 991 without it sounds better than the Cayman with it. I recognize that I maybe the only one on RL, or the planet for that matter, that feels this way, but I've never been sold on the sound of the Porsche sport exhaust. I think the base exhaust sound just right, quiet at low RPM and throaty when you get on it. I find myself turning off the PSE in the Cayman a lot. And I love the sound of a good exhaust. I have an RS5 with sport exhaust and I really don't think I've heard a better sound than that thing makes on the gas.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:36 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,873 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Your dealership is willing to do what is actually an illegal modification to your car? You definitely don't live in California.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:13 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know, a lot of experts already think that the C2 sounds better outside the car than the C2S, just say'n.

Quick Reply: Ways to Make 991 Sound Better?