Sponsored by:

cooling system fault

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 10:36 AM
gokuji
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling system fault

Got cooling system fault error, had to tow the car to dealer,apparently there is a problem with valve connecting the system.
Hope its a minor thing?
PS I read a report with Porsche being the leader in reliability based on J.D.Power survey, I was thinking tell me about it.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:16 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by gokuji
Got cooling system fault error, had to tow the car to dealer,apparently there is a problem with valve connecting the system.
Hope its a minor thing?
PS I read a report with Porsche being the leader in reliability based on J.D.Power survey, I was thinking tell me about it.
If you do a search on this forum and "others" with the term "COV" or "change over valve" you will find a wealth of posts on this topic. Typically the fault you receive is in Yellow, and you can continue driving -- no need to tow. Did your message appear in RED or tell you to tow rather than drive-on?

The valve that failed could be the COV supporting the exhaust, or more simply the vacuum line going to your S or PSE exhaust valves has slipped-off. In either case the "fix" is very straightforward and nothing major.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:16 PM
mi650
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this same issue about a month ago. My SA told me it was related to a problem I had last fall, when I had no heat. Same valve, anyway.

Last fall, there was a national backorder on the valve, so they pulled 1 off a TTS on the lot and gave it to me. This time, they just happened to have 1 in stock, that was ordered in my name. I had my car back in 24 hours.

Good luck and I hope you don't have to wait for the valve.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:12 PM
Mr. Turtles
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Just had the same problem fixed on a 2012. All covered under warranty. There was actually no overheating issue and I was able to drive the car for a week before I could get in to get it fixed. Seemed like a valve/vacuum issue.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:14 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Just got the yellow cooling system fault message. I don't have PSE but about 20 minutes prior to the warning message my car seemed to sound different/louder.

Think its the "COV" or vacuum line for the exhaust?

I guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 PM
Jaypod
Instructor

I had this issue - was just exhaust related - drove it for a month or so before i had a chance to get it to the dealer to be fixed. They said it was no big deal and common. No PSE for me either.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:30 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
Just got the yellow cooling system fault message. I don't have PSE but about 20 minutes prior to the warning message my car seemed to sound different/louder.

Think its the "COV" or vacuum line for the exhaust?

I guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow.
The vacuum line disconnecting from the exhaust valves (PSE as well as "S" exhausts) is a common problem, and will result in the cooling system fault message and deeper sound coming from your exhaust at all times...

If not that, then yes, it could be the COV that controls the vacuum pressure to the exhaust valves.

If either of these two as root cause, they are not harming anything and you can drive as much as you'd like until you can get to the dealer.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Spoke to dealer today who said it's a common problem and I can drive without any worries. I made an appointment for next week. I'll post the outcome.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:57 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

If this is a common problem, I wonder how much it will cost when its out of warranty. Also, is their "fix" just reattatching it via the same flawed method that causes the "common problem' or is there an actual fix that prevents it from reoccurring?
Old 06-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
If this is a common problem, I wonder how much it will cost when its out of warranty. Also, is their "fix" just reattatching it via the same flawed method that causes the "common problem' or is there an actual fix that prevents it from reoccurring?
Once it is out of warranty, I expect the cost to be about $2,500 in parts and 10 hours in labor
Old 07-01-2015, 03:46 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

My car (2013 991s/PDK....6,200 miles...purchased in March with a CPO) is now in the shop for the THIRD time that this fault has happened. More a PIA than anything else, but I've already told the dealer that I want this noted with the Regional Service Rep and expect this to be resolved permanently.

Being told "this is common" doesn't sit well with me.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:10 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
The vacuum line disconnecting from the exhaust valves (PSE as well as "S" exhausts) is a common problem, and will result in the cooling system fault message and deeper sound coming from your exhaust at all times...
so does this mean you can insert a T in the vacuum line and NOT get the cooling system fault message and get a deeper sound coming from your exhaust?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:11 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to share the resolution. Took my car with this coolant fault to the dealer. Just got it back after 2 days. Receipt states "Replaced faulty hose to valve, rechecked passed smoke test. Also passed vacuum short test."

Yellow fault message is gone and the exhaust sound is back to normal.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:00 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeffdehr
Just wanted to share the resolution. Took my car with this coolant fault to the dealer. Just got it back after 2 days. Receipt states "Replaced faulty hose to valve, rechecked passed smoke test. Also passed vacuum short test."

Yellow fault message is gone and the exhaust sound is back to normal.
Glad to hear she's good again, hope it stays that way for ya.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:02 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by trysixty
so does this mean you can insert a T in the vacuum line and NOT get the cooling system fault message and get a deeper sound coming from your exhaust?
Actually there is already a T branching the vacuum line to the two exhaust valves on the S and PSE exhausts. And yes, if you simply cap the exposed end of the vacuum line you will lose the fault warning and your exhaust will sound deeper all the time. This is actually a very easy cheap mod some of us have made and documented in other DIY threads.....

Quick Reply: cooling system fault