Doesn't look too bad...
Old 06-14-2015, 07:50 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,320 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Alonzo?
Doesn't look too bad...
typo - Alonso was forced off the track at the exit of Rivage, but he made it back
onto the track before the grass ... I didnt

actually RSR "wrote off" the car, which cost me a LOT ... I pretty much bought
the car, except of course I didnt...
Old 06-14-2015, 07:51 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Where it comes into play at COTA is some what manageable but astro turf is a bad idea imo.
Old 06-14-2015, 07:53 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 008
Where it comes into play at COTA is some what manageable but astro turf is a bad idea imo.
+1 ... there is NO traction on it whatsoever
Old 06-14-2015, 07:56 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
typo - Alonso was forced off the track at the exit of Rivage, but he made it back
onto the track before the grass ... I didnt

actually RSR "wrote off" the car, which cost me a LOT ... I pretty much bought
the car, except of course I didnt...

Ah, OK don't remember seeing that.
Doesn't sound fair by RSR. Good to know.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:08 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,088 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

Alonzo made the pass on the exit of Rivage and made it back on track before the grass ... I was not so lucky
Ouch…ouch…ouch….Was that at the left hander out of Rivage where you can run a bit wide out over the kerb before accelerating hard down to Pouhon?
Old 06-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

actually no, it was Rivage itself the big downhill, off-camber right hander, I closed too fast on a slower
car and passed him on the outside (who do I think I am - F. Alonso?) which put me well off line, so
I went out straddling the berm at the exit, now when "driving off" I am always careful to not attempt
to throw the car back on track, for obvious reasons, so I let the car settle before attempting to rejoin
the track, however I ran out of tarmac and put two wheels onto the grass/astroturf, and the car
spun... shot across the track, impacted the armco, spun off that, hit the armco again and came to
a stop parallel to the track ... no one hurt except my wallet.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:07 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Wow, Larry that sounds like a typical oops all under control, to a wild ride in a split second.

I know you can wheel a car, so I'm taking your experience and warning very seriously.
Specially in the warp speed space ship RS...
Old 06-15-2015, 01:47 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

It was total pilot error - I was overconfident at an unfamiliar track in an unfamiliar car ... and I had disabled the TC because it was intervening in some of the corners and slowing me down

it was a VERY expensive lesson learned (hopefully)
Old 06-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Wow....I sympathise. When thos split second decisions work it's fantastic....when they don't....

In future, If an opportunity presents itself at that corner next time I am there, I think I will pass on it..and think of you.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

This and all the Ring crash video's also taken to heart..
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/the-to...ing-1707718723
Old 06-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Wow....I sympathise. When thos split second decisions work it's fantastic....when they don't....

In future, If an opportunity presents itself at that corner next time I am there, I think I will pass on it..and think of you.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:46 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Doesn't sound fair by RSR. Good to know.
RSR's T&Cs are black and white. You know what you are getting into and what to do or not to do. These DOs and DON'Ts are reinforced in each day's driver's meeting.

My wife and I were at Spa with RSR a couple days after (I think) LC.

One of the things that is ... different ... about the event format is that there is no separation of drivers into speed/experience groups. It's "open pit" not organized sessions. It isn't a recipe for incident-free events.

When we were there, at one point, there were two $#%€ing DTM cars on track along with us Spa-newbies in slow cars. Those things are capital F fast and if a slow car in front of one reacts incorrectly the mess will be severe.

Assuming the same format, it was a contributor to the 'off' described above.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:31 AM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928
RSR's T&Cs are black and white. You know what you are getting into and what to do or not to do. These DOs and DON'Ts are reinforced in each day's driver's meeting.

One of the things that is ... different ... about the event format is that there is no separation of drivers into speed/experience groups. It's "open pit" not organized sessions. It isn't a recipe for incident-free events.

When we were there, at one point, there were two $#%€ing DTM cars on track along with us Spa-newbies in slow cars. Those things are capital F fast and if a slow car in front of one reacts incorrectly the mess will be severe.

Can't agree more with your comments about unformatted open pit sessions.

The good thing about the Porsche Club days I have attended is that they separate the cars into two classes, those with road tyres and those with slicks. It's a pretty effective way to split the cars. I always go in the road tyre class and while there is a speed differential between some of the cars in the class, it is not that great that you can't see/predict what is going on around you. If you are out there with competition cars on slicks, it all happens so much quicker that anything can happen….and sometimes does.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:45 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by worf928

Sure. Understood, but without knowing the detail, I interpret Larry's comment that he pretty much paid to replace the car and I think these guys know how to put together a whored out track BMW pretty cheaply..

I would like to rent from guys making a profit on rentals, not on the insurance or crash repairs I guess.

Quick Reply: Track day at SPA