Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one out here who loves PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:49 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuster
With only limited test drives wringing the car out in the hills, my thoughts:

Manual mode only, Sport or Sport+ only, never Normal for the most fun.

Need a lighter touch to stay out of Kickdown. However, on full throttle curve exits, nice to use Kickdown's Kickup feature which shifts up at redline. Avoids having to time the manual shift exactly at redline, and avoids risk of rev-limiter upsetting balance.

Redline mph is about 45, 78, and 107 in 1-3 gears. In the hills in 1-2 almost always, 3rd rarely. Never seemed to be confused which gear in use.

Also found the Tapdown feature nice to have, a fast way to go down the gears after a rest.

Mike
tapdown?
Old 06-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh yes... Tap down... I love it!

Similar to kick down but tap rather than 'floor' the pedal. The revs and gear adjust but the road speed stays the same... Ready for an instant overtaking manoeuvre...
Old 06-01-2015, 06:05 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
Oh yes... Tap down... I love it!

Similar to kick down but tap rather than 'floor' the pedal. The revs and gear adjust but the road speed stays the same... Ready for an instant overtaking manoeuvre...
good to know... thanks!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:42 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't know about the tapdown either...will be trying that in about an hour. I haven't even seen 7th gear pop up that I noticed but not always looking, guess I hadn't noticed when it kicks in...cruise around in sport myself. To the original post Im fine with the PDK but I had an incident that took out my left hand years ago so while I still have one manual trans car and I have driven it on the track (that got me to shift finally in the braking zone in a straight line) I really need an auto and the pdk is fine. I have Audi's version in my RS5 and it does a great job of both street and track driving of having the car right where I need it in the rev band and it does pick up immediately on how I'm driving. If my new to me C2S is similar I will be happy. I'm the one person here that should have had the multifunction wheel rather than the sport wheel since I cant really use the paddles, but I liked everything else about my particular car so went with it anyway. The thumb switch would be perfect so I may switch out the wheel at some point as I do think I would actually drive this car manually occasionally for my driving that the car is always in a higher gear than I would like.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Didn't know about topdown either. Just tried it on the way home. Love it.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one out here who loves PDK?