Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one out here who loves PDK?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 09:26 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
I was kind of counting on you to go inappropriate.
I turned 43 so my wife told me I need to finally start acting like an adult. I'll give it a week...
Old 06-01-2015, 09:50 AM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

After 2 left knee surgeries (old college football injury) and 55 years old, the PDK does it for me. Plus, my wife drives my car when I need her V8 Touareg to take the ski boat out w the buds. And now she doesn't stall it or complain about driving it one bit😀! Do I miss shifting? Sure, sometimes, but the PDK is so much more than an auto trans!
Old 06-01-2015, 10:58 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I turned 43 so my wife told me I need to finally start acting like an adult. I'll give it a week...
Don't bother. Acting like an adult just leads to depression.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:01 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by autobahnA8
That being said the PDK in my GT3 feels very different than the PDK in the 991 C2S I just sold.
They should. The 991 GT3 has PDK Plus. Right??
Old 06-01-2015, 11:58 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
They should. The 991 GT3 has PDK Plus. Right??
Here's one for you to mull over.

I was about to buy a 991 Turbo but despite being very way faster than my C2S, the PDK behavior made it come across as being at the "luxury" end of the Lux to Sporty dimension for my taste. Being both sporty and cheap I am still driving the C2S.

I have no actual evidence, but I would bet that the software that governs the shift speeds and character is set to:
- soften the shifts for the Turbo (maybe to mask turbo lag),
- be firmer for the S, and
- be more purposely snappy on the GT3 (magnified by stiffer paddle machinery).
Old 06-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Here's one for you to mull over.

I was about to buy a 991 Turbo but despite being very way faster than my C2S, the PDK behavior made it come across as being at the "luxury" end of the Lux to Sporty dimension for my taste. Being both sporty and cheap I am still driving the C2S.

I have no actual evidence, but I would bet that the software that governs the shift speeds and character is set to:
- soften the shifts for the Turbo (maybe to mask turbo lag),
- be firmer for the S, and
- be more purposely snappy on the GT3 (magnified by stiffer paddle machinery).
Drive a turbo with PDK in sport plus and there is nothing soft about the shifts, I can assure you.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts
Default my $0.02

After driving my new GTS Cabriolet around Germany, including a few laps of the ring, I'm on the fence, some of the things I like and dislike about PDK are:

(engine room? - bridge, connect all main boilers, make revolutions for 55mph tring-tring [sounds of engine rm telegraph ringing on the knots])

- very fast shifts (on track)

dislikes:
- in normal and sport modes its optimized for fuel economy and short shifts with a love for 7th, this is fine for a minivan and SUV, not so good for a sportscar

- I find myself losing track of which gear I am actually "in" something that does not happen with a manual

- kickdown, not a feature you want while track driving - this should be disabled at least in Sport+

Its a great transmission, but I think to fully experience 'how' the car should drive IMO you need to drive it in Sport+, in all the other modes you might as
well be a soccer mom in a Honda...

All, in all, I'm an MT fan, but since I got this particular car so that the wife could also drive it I will enjoy the PDK, as its clearly a great technology, programmed for the wrong driving experience (for me)
Old 06-01-2015, 01:15 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Am I the only one out here who loves PDK?

Can we have a poll??

Well endowed PDK shifter or shriveled up manual leather sack??
Attached Images   
Old 06-01-2015, 01:18 PM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

This is getting lame...
Old 06-01-2015, 01:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Am I the only one out here who loves PDK?

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
This is getting lame...

It got lame after the first page!
Old 06-01-2015, 01:41 PM
mschuster

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dislikes:
- in normal and sport modes its optimized for fuel economy and short shifts with a love for 7th, this is fine for a minivan and SUV, not so good for a sportscar

- I find myself losing track of which gear I am actually "in" something that does not happen with a manual

- kickdown, not a feature you want while track driving - this should be disabled at least in Sport+
With only limited test drives wringing the car out in the hills, my thoughts:

Manual mode only, Sport or Sport+ only, never Normal for the most fun.

Need a lighter touch to stay out of Kickdown. However, on full throttle curve exits, nice to use Kickdown's Kickup feature which shifts up at redline. Avoids having to time the manual shift exactly at redline, and avoids risk of rev-limiter upsetting balance.

Redline mph is about 45, 78, and 107 in 1-3 gears. In the hills in 1-2 almost always, 3rd rarely. Never seemed to be confused which gear in use.

Also found the Tapdown feature nice to have, a fast way to go down the gears after a rest.

Mike
Old 06-01-2015, 02:11 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable

dislikes:
I usually drive mine in manual mode, but when in auto mode and Sport, I have never had mine go into 7th gear. If I am in normal mode/automatic and the car is in 7th, the car immediately downshifts to 6th when i change to Sport mode. Seems strange that your car "likes" 7th gear so much when in Sport mode.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:48 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I usually drive mine in manual mode, but when in auto mode and Sport, I have never had mine go into 7th gear. If I am in normal mode/automatic and the car is in 7th, the car immediately downshifts to 6th when i change to Sport mode. Seems strange that your car "likes" 7th gear so much when in Sport mode.
Same, takes a loooong time cruising on the highway for my Cayman S to drop from 6th into 7th if I'm in Sport mode. I find the shift points in Sport Auto to adapt really well to how I'm driving, but I too prefer manual mode most of the time.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:38 PM
PDK1965
Instructor

Originally Posted by STG991
It got lame after the first page!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:31 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Can we have a poll?? Well endowed PDK shifter or shriveled up manual leather sack??
Aluminium trim on the PDK.... Nice... Just like mine.... Love it (and yes that aluminium trim does make the car go faster).
Only difference is mine leans to the left

Quick Reply: Am I the only one out here who loves PDK?