991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scraped Aerokit, What Would You Do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015 | 10:06 AM
DadBat
Track Day

Default Scraped Aerokit, What Would You Do?

Hey there everyone. I purchased my first Porsche two weeks ago (C2S). I have been wanting one for quite some time, as I'm sure most of you can relate! Coming from an E90 M3, this car is incredible.

Yesterday I had to run some errands in the city and decided to take the Porsche. I got "trapped" going through a pretty steep curb that scraped up the front left Aerokit splitter. Just had speed film installed too, UGH.

I already got an estimate and its going to be about $500 to fix/replace. Am I acting too quickly? Is this just the norm for those that have aerokits? I understand the bottom is going to get a little scraped, but it bugs me that its on the front and scraped the paint off.

Attached are some pics of the car, and the scrape. I have been a lurker for quite some time before I bought the car and learned a lot from folks here, thanks for all the knowledge!
Attached Images     
Old 05-30-2015 | 10:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Why haven't you posted an into post?? Beautiful car. Give us specs when you can.

I actually bought a second spoiler lip, painted, and waiting in the basement for situations like this. Hopefully that day never comes!

Good news is the damage on yours is only cosmetic. The piece does not have to get replaced.

1. Piece comes off the bumper.

2. PPF film gets removed.

3. A body shop will sand it down and repaint.

4. Install, and you're ready to go!

5. As good insurance and no down time, I'd suggest a back up to swap out in the future. That way if the damaged piece can be fixed, and your car still looks good.

Others will say, leave it, it's bound to happen, etc... I'm the kind of guy that can't live with stuff like this.
Old 05-30-2015 | 10:44 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

I have had the same thing happend to me. First, I would wait before you get it fixed professionally. The splitter is low and it could happen again. But...these small little things bug me so here is what to do now. This is an easy fix. There are spray paints you can buy that match your color code. You can find them on the internet if you google. Once you get it, buy some wet/dry sand paper and smooth the area. Tape off the area that you sanded, and spray very lite coats of paint on it, spraying several coats during a 24 hour period. You might want to top it off with a clear coat for the shine. I have done this with my Porsche and other cars. If you take your time, use the right paint, it will be hard to tell the scrape was ever there. Prep is the most important part. Make sure you take your time sanding the splitter. Sand it a little further out than the scrape so the paint with blend in. If you are concerned about how to prep or paint, there are several great videos on how do this. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2015 | 10:51 AM
DadBat
Track Day

Originally Posted by STG991
Why haven't you posted an into post?? Beautiful car. Give us specs when you can.

I actually bought a second spoiler lip, painted, and waiting in the basement for situations like this. Hopefully that day never comes!

Good news is the damage on yours is only cosmetic. The piece does not have to get replaced.

1. Piece comes off the bumper.

2. PPF film gets removed.

3. A body shop will sand it down and repaint.

4. Install, and you're ready to go!

5. As good insurance and no down time, I'd suggest a back up to swap out in the future. That way if the damaged piece can be fixed, and your car still looks good.

Others will say, leave it, it's bound to happen, etc... I'm the kind of guy that can't live with stuff like this.
Sorry about not posting an intro! I guess I should have done that a few weeks ago. I'll post a pic of my dealer sticker here in a bit It's a 2014 C2S, PDK, Sport Exhaust. Nothing too crazy, but I love it.

The shop told me the part is so cheap that it would be LESS expensive to just order it and replace it. I believe it's $212 for the splitter. Maybe I should hold onto the scraped one and try to "fix it up" and use that as my back up? I'm like you man, I drove straight to the shop as soon as it happened to get an estimate. I can't live with stuff like that either, bugs the crap out of me.
Old 05-30-2015 | 10:55 AM
DadBat
Track Day

Originally Posted by clubrcr
I have had the same thing happend to me. First, I would wait before you get it fixed professionally. The splitter is low and it could happen again. But...these small little things bug me so here is what to do now. This is an easy fix. There are spray paints you can buy that match your color code. You can find them on the internet if you google. Once you get it, buy some wet/dry sand paper and smooth the area. Tape off the area that you sanded, and spray very lite coats of paint on it, spraying several coats during a 24 hour period. You might want to top it off with a clear coat for the shine. I have done this with my Porsche and other cars. If you take your time, use the right paint, it will be hard to tell the scrape was ever there. Prep is the most important part. Make sure you take your time sanding the splitter. Sand it a little further out than the scrape so the paint with blend in. If you are concerned about how to prep or paint, there are several great videos on how do this. Good luck.
Admittedly, i'm not the most handy guy in the world, but this sounds pretty simple. I already gave the shop the go ahead to order the part so I would feel pretty bad about backing out. I think I am going to just get the new one put on and try this out on the scraped one to keep as a backup. Since it would be my first time doing something like that i'd rather have a new one put on and use the old one as the guinea pig lol!
Old 05-30-2015 | 11:03 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by DadBat
Sorry about not posting an intro! I guess I should have done that a few weeks ago. I'll post a pic of my dealer sticker here in a bit It's a 2014 C2S, PDK, Sport Exhaust. Nothing too crazy, but I love it. The shop told me the part is so cheap that it would be LESS expensive to just order it and replace it. I believe it's $212 for the splitter. Maybe I should hold onto the scraped one and try to "fix it up" and use that as my back up? I'm like you man, I drove straight to the shop as soon as it happened to get an estimate. I can't live with stuff like that either, bugs the crap out of me.
The part DOES NOT come painted, so it's as much work to paint from new as repaint.

But ... The scraped up one is totally repairable. Have them sand it a little and repaint it. You'll never know it was scraped. Keep that as a back up!!

Is that Rhodium??
Old 05-30-2015 | 11:08 AM
LexVan
Banned

Sucks. $hit happens. I'd want it perfect. Car looks great.
Old 05-30-2015 | 11:12 AM
DadBat
Track Day

The part DOES NOT come painted, so it's as much work to paint from new as repaint.

But ... The scraped up one is totally repairable. Have them sand it a little and repaint it. You'll never know it was scraped.

Is that Rhodium??
Yup it's Rhodium. I'm sitting here now watching youtube vids on this stuff. Now I don't know what to do. It's a reputable shop in the area that does all the Porsche repairs.

The way he explained it to me was the labor would be cheaper to just paint a new one than to repair/paint the current one. Here is the estimate...

$221 for the part
$95 body labor
$132 paint labor
$72 paint supplies
Old 05-30-2015 | 11:13 AM
DadBat
Track Day

Originally Posted by LexVan
Sucks. $hit happens. I'd want it perfect. Car looks great.
Love the "$hit" with the dollar sign, because that's exactly what it is lol. Thanks man.
Old 05-30-2015 | 11:16 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Cool car...congratulations!
I'd pop that part off and get repainted...can't see why that would be more than $100 for it, either.
Old 05-30-2015 | 11:21 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by DadBat
Yup it's Rhodium. I'm sitting here now watching youtube vids on this stuff. Now I don't know what to do. It's a reputable shop in the area that does all the Porsche repairs. The way he explained it to me was the labor would be cheaper to just paint a new one than to repair/paint the current one. Here is the estimate... $221 for the part $95 body labor $132 paint labor $72 paint supplies
They will do a fine job painting the new one if it's a reputable shop. The pieces so low, getting a good paint match will not be an issue.

Keep the new one that they ordered for you, but also have them repair your old one. Spend a little money and have a backup.

Whatever you decide to do, do not throw away that old piece!

The car looks great, don't downplay it because it doesn't have $20,000 worth of extra leather in it. It looks awesome!
Old 05-30-2015 | 11:23 AM
STG
Race Director

Take some interior pictures too please!
Old 05-30-2015 | 11:42 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I had scrapes like that so many times its not even funny, my Aston Martin Vantage spoiler lip was pranged like that so often I lost count. It's crazy to run to the body shop to fix that sort of thing, it happens too often and gets too pricey, plus the drop/off and pick/up of it and wait times.

Learn to fix these yourself, its surprisingly easy. No, you won't get a 100% pro repair but you will get 95% and that will be more than good enough until the next 6 weeks when you whack it again. Takes a couple of hours, but its not too hard. Order some touch up paint in rattle cans. You need primer, color coat and topcoat. Should be $ 60 for all and you will have enough for about (4) repairs like this. Then get an assortment of sandpapers starting at 150 grit and working up to 2000 grit, and some painter's tape. Sand it down, use the coarser grits to knock it down and then work to the finer grits. At around 400 wet grit tape off and shoot some primer on it, which is going to give you some filler as well. Keep sanding, and re-prime. When you get it really smooth, around the 1200 grit, then you are ready for a couple of color coats. then clear it. pull the tape, make sure its good and dry, then wet sand with the 2000 and only YOU will ever know its been repaired. Most the time it takes is drying between coats, don't rush it, just find something else to putter around with until its dry enough to re-sand. Pretty much its just a series of 3 to 5 minute jobs and 15 minutes dry time between. It's not rocket science and you will be surprised at how good the results will be. This is also the reason I never film the front of my cars, the film makes the quick spoiler touch-ups more difficult.

I also used this method on my wife's SUV as she is always getting the bumper covers nicked front and rear, I've gotten pretty good at it.

Last edited by drcollie; 05-30-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-30-2015 | 12:02 PM
DadBat
Track Day

They will do a fine job painting the new one if it's a reputable shop. The pieces so low, getting a good paint match will not be an issue.

Keep the new one that they ordered for you, but also have them repair your old one. Spend a little money and have a backup.

Whatever you decide to do, do not throw away that old piece!

The car looks great, don't downplay it because it doesn't have $20,000 worth of extra leather in it. It looks awesome!
Ha I have leather seats! Are we car twins? Yours looks amazing.
Old 05-30-2015 | 12:03 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

if you have a replacement pc already ordered, just have it painted and store it away until you sell the car . In your mind, the car stays " perfect " with regards to the front end. Just do the DIY refurb of the scraped pc yourself, and in the future, everytime you encounter a steep ramp, no sweat , because you'll just fix it again once you get home and the second time around it will be 10x easier .
Trust me, on areas down there, YOU will be the only person who will ever even stare at that spot...everyone else is standing to side or rear admiring the whole car .

Otherwise, you will be even more nervous with a new pc mounted, judging by your OCD - like comment about driving it straight to a body shop right after it happened.

You will truly enjoy the car vs dreading an otherwise nice new drive route that comes with unfamiliar parking structures, gas stations , speed bumps , hills and dips .

Quick Reply: Scraped Aerokit, What Would You Do?