Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launch Control...How often do you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015 | 01:43 AM
rocks991s
Intermediate

It makes me giggle!
No really...in the vast nothingness of my surroundings there a number of nice, nearly deserted two-lane highways just begging for a little LC love, and occasionally I oblige. Sometimes though, it does scare the crap out of my passenger, if I have one onboard.
Old 06-04-2015 | 03:51 AM
mmaturo
Racer

Originally Posted by Ski Porsche
I've done it several times for the fun of it; mostly as a parlor trick when taking someone for a ride. In each case they're blown away by how quick the car is. I need to show my wife how it works (hee-hee).
Lol... My wife will take it but only once after talking her into it but with a bad look back. But for the record she dispenses every BMW with now her RS5. She is now spoiled forever with the hp thing. I dare show her the launch on the 5. It would be too close a race with the S if I did teach her. She has had many runs in the 8 though so I will get a "that's nice honey" and a pat on the knee with the Porsche (the R8GT is faster but much different experience that will be lost on her). Going to do a first try tomorrow... car is still in its first month with me... still excited after learning about the tap down with the gas pedal at speed for the downshift to just the right gear but matching your current speed prior to just flooring it. That alone makes me happy for awhile.
Old 06-04-2015 | 07:15 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Zero !
I don't really know why or where ?!
I have no use for it on the street, no use for it on the track. Maybe I should use it when I take out passengers for a ride ?
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:36 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thebigboum
Stupid question I guess. I didn't know about this feature but here is my question. Do you need the sport + feature for this to work?
There is a "soft launch" that worked on my base (it didn't have SC / sport +).

Same process - foot on brake and stomp the gas - it will hold the revs at 4.5 ish If I remember until you lose the brake.

Enjoy.
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:40 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by redirect
1. I rarely do it because to me it's too dangerous to do it on the public road. Im afraid of hitting a loonatic pedestrian, or loosing the rear end as launch control activates only when a PSM is turned off.
Is this correct, I didn't think you had to turn the nannies off? I've had it activate during a launch. Haven't tried it after manually turning it off - that would be wild
Old 06-04-2015 | 10:45 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Played with it a couple of times when I first got the car. I'm running too much power at my current car to use it anymore.
Old 06-04-2015 | 12:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dalema
Is this correct, I didn't think you had to turn the nannies off? I've had it activate during a launch. Haven't tried it after manually turning it off - that would be wild
I'm pretty sure it's off. On my other cars you had to manually turn off TC before you could engage launch control.
Old 06-04-2015 | 01:10 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I'm pretty sure it's off. On my other cars you had to manually turn off TC before you could engage launch control.
Sport+, brake, gas, go. No need to turn anything off. In Sport+ you get a lot of wiggle room from the nannies.
Old 06-04-2015 | 05:43 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay-S
Sport+, brake, gas, go. No need to turn anything off. In Sport+ you get a lot of wiggle room from the nannies.
+1. My nannies went on a coffee break whilst I wrestled with the steering in sport + on a wet corner.... All good fun and no real panic but a surprise none-the-less.

P.s. Forgot to try launch control... Must remember tomorrow....
Old 06-05-2015 | 01:26 PM
shumi_9
Advanced

I have actually spun my rear tires out of balance with launch control. I developed a floor vibration soon after and road force balancing found one of my tires to be 38 lbs.

Quick Reply: Launch Control...How often do you use it?