Sponsored by:

Is Porsche TMPS Inaccurate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 09:02 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Is Porsche TMPS Inaccurate?

I've read the manual completely. The multifunctional display is set to "full load" for tire settings and not 'comfort" Yet, when my tires are at exactly 36psi F / 44psi R at 68F (the specified inflation) the display shows 39 and 47, i.e. 3 lbs over. It has been consistent over time and and the gauge I use at the tires is accurate and has been cross checked.

Any ideas why the display is reading as overinflated?
Old 05-17-2015, 09:56 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Get a good tire gauge first. Set your tires and cold the readings on tpms should be close. As you drive and tires heat your readings will get higher.

Personally I have my 4S at 32 front and 36 rear. They will creep up with driving. This is comfort partial load on Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:00 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Get a good tire gauge first. Set your tires and cold the readings on tpms should be close. As you drive and tires heat your readings will get higher.

Personally I have my 4S at 32 front and 36 rear. They will creep up with driving. This is comfort partial load on Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
I've recently gone to full tire pressure on my PSS. It seems to handle better, better acceleration and mileage.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:10 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Penn4S

Get a good tire gauge - Check.
Set your tires at cold - Check. 68F multiple times
Readings on tpms should be close - Nope, 3 psi different
Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

I know this is no help but mine (13 C4S) is dead on with my air pump digital display.

Have you cycled through selecting different size tires and wheel size on the display..... just to reset it back to how you want your car set up to see if it changes?

I know when I changed wheels recently I had to do a "reset" to get the car to recognize the wheel sensors again and all is well.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Mine also reads a couple of pounds high versus two gauges I've checked it with that read the same. I've also noticed "rounding" seems to take place as it wants to mainly display even numbers and I don't think I've ever seen it read "31", even when I watch the fronts warm from 30 to 32 in the winter.
Compare this to my BMW with tenth of a degree precision!
Old 05-19-2015, 11:12 AM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I know this is no help but mine (13 C4S) is dead on with my air pump digital display.

Have you cycled through selecting different size tires and wheel size on the display..... just to reset it back to how you want your car set up to see if it changes?

I know when I changed wheels recently I had to do a "reset" to get the car to recognize the wheel sensors again and all is well.
Thanks. Great idea on reconfirming the dealer / factory has the correct wheels in the configuration. I will check it out!
Old 05-19-2015, 11:23 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm, I believe mine always read under inflate on both of my previous and current 991s. Now I just pump using tmps reading .

One thing I notice, tpms on macan always recalibrate itself everytime we start using the car, reading not availble if car not running after engine off for some period of time. Unlike in 991s, always showing pressure.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:30 AM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SDaddy
Thanks. Great idea on reconfirming the dealer / factory has the correct wheels in the configuration. I will check it out!
I think he meant to "reset" through PCM display menu on your car.
Try selecting wrong wheels value, run the car for a minute, then recablirate itself by selecting the correct wheels value/size again.
TPMS can also be re-initialize through dealer's PIWIS.

Quick Reply: Is Porsche TMPS Inaccurate?