991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why buy a GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015 | 04:03 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Freeman, great post and beautiful car! Happy you are loving the MT now after the first couple of trying days!
Old 05-19-2015 | 07:09 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Good for you brother! Drive it hard and often!
Old 05-19-2015 | 07:13 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

It has turned out to be spectacular. What a treat!
Old 05-19-2015 | 08:58 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mathfuzzy
Funny, when the CC was announced, I immediately loved the color and that it was a GTS, but my first reaction was, "for that money I'd rather have a GT3." Then I thought about it more and realized the GT3's intended purpose isn't my intended use. And then theory became reality and the rest is history, but I'm with you about the GTS being the right choice for me, CC or not.
JD,

The car picked you!
Old 05-19-2015 | 09:29 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAM2
JD, The car picked you!
Good point Joe. I think you got that exactly right. And I fully expect to be just as over the moon happy as Freeman here.

Sometimes things come along at exactly the right time, weather you knew that you're ready or not.
Old 09-27-2015 | 11:07 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shaytun
Is it me (or this forum) but MT is making a comeback like Vinyl. Not as "good" but a more rewarding experience.
I thought Porsche shared a very powerful insight in the press events when they launched the GT4 with a MT.

They said (I'm paraphrasing): we know it's technically not as effective at shifting as PDK, but this car is NOT for those drivers looking for 10/10ths out of the car. That's what the GT3 is for. The decision to use a MT in the GT4 was all about creating an engaging driving experience - which a MT is better at than PDK.

Gives me faith that Porsche is listening to its customers too.

Oh, and the GTS looks spectacular by the way. Congrats
Old 09-27-2015 | 11:17 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
...They said (I'm paraphrasing): we know it's technically not as effective at shifting as PDK, but this car is NOT for those drivers looking for 10/10ths out of the car. That's what the GT3 is for.
You are correct. The PDK is the faster car.

I have a few old ones around here with manual transmissions when I need to shift gears.
Old 09-28-2015 | 12:10 AM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by freeman
Since I bought my first new 911 in 1987 my ultimate ambition was always to own a GT3 or GT2. I never wanted a Turbo. I had taken all the Porsche courses at Road Atlanta and Barber Courses as well. Out of fear, I never raced one. In 2014 I could finally nearly afford a GT3. This was a disappointing experience for many reasons. First, the car was recalled after 4 common motor fires in Europe. Second, the car only comes with PDK. Third, I took a test drive and it took my teeth a week to recover.

Just then the GTS appeared. I had just traded a 1995 993 for a 2013 PDK 991. The 2013 PDK 991 proceeded to bore me. You have a great deal to do with your right arm but what about your left foot? I WANTED ANOTHER MT. So, I sold the PDK pleasantly with 15,500 miles. I ordered a GTS which I took delivery of last week. I am 71 years of age and do not have a great many years left. Life is too short to question options or resale value. Get what you can afford, what you like and that which keeps your left ventricle rhythmic. I did and I feel as I did when I was 16 years of age.

I am a contented owner of Porsches since 1974. I do not worry about depreciation. I only worry if I can live long enough to own the next Porsche. My wife seems to think I will do so in the next few years. I am holding out for an affordable street-version of the 918.
--
Thank you for this post. I am inspired by your attitude about life and your passion for Porsches. At 63, I told my wife that I'm going to do all that I can to live rather than staying alive going forward. All the best to you and many years of fun in that awesomely beautiful car.
Old 09-28-2015 | 12:45 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Just came across this thread, and must say that my "last year's ('11) GTS is more than enough for me. Great road car and great DE track car with the extra boost from the "x" kit. Some claim GT3s as every day drivers but that's not for me even though I could afford one. Older GT3s have a harsh ride and lack of insulation in the engine bay that makes for quite a bit of noise (which some seem to like!). However a Shark Center Muffler Bypass could be on my radar and if I do much track time, the slippery slope beckons for roll bar, harness, and bucket seats. Since I have center locks, the mandatory torque wrench, breaker bar, and Optomal Lube is stored in the "frunk"
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2015 | 12:57 AM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

Since I bought my first new 911 in 1987 my ultimate ambition was always to own a GT3 or GT2. I never wanted a Turbo. I had taken all the Porsche courses at Road Atlanta and Barber Courses as well. Out of fear, I never raced one. In 2014 I could finally nearly afford a GT3. This was a disappointing experience for many reasons. First, the car was recalled after 4 common motor fires in Europe. Second, the car only comes with PDK. Third, I took a test drive and it took my teeth a week to recover.

Just then the GTS appeared. I had just traded a 1995 993 for a 2013 PDK 991. The 2013 PDK 991 proceeded to bore me. You have a great deal to do with your right arm but what about your left foot? I WANTED ANOTHER MT. So, I sold the PDK pleasantly with 15,500 miles. I ordered a GTS which I took delivery of last week. I am 71 years of age and do not have a great many years left. Life is too short to question options or resale value. Get what you can afford, what you like and that which keeps your left ventricle rhythmic. I did and I feel as I did when I was 16 years of age.

I am a contented owner of Porsches since 1974. I do not worry about depreciation. I only worry if I can live long enough to own the next Porsche. My wife seems to think I will do so in the next few years. I am holding out for an affordable street-version of the 918.
--
U will have another car, you have too much zest man. Good write up too by the way. You are right. Life is short and get what you can enjoy. It keeps me full of spunk too.
Old 09-28-2015 | 09:11 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words. I took the GTS to the mountains of NC. What a delight because my wife stayed calm as I swerved the curves in Sport Plus. The GTS is great and I hope to arrive at 72 on my next birthday. I thank everyone.
Old 09-28-2015 | 09:16 PM
stratocaster69
Burning Brakes

I would like to thank everyone for their kind words. I took the GTS to the mountains of NC. What a delight because my wife stayed calm as I swerved the curves in Sport Plus. The GTS is great and I hope to arrive at 72 on my next birthday. I thank everyone.
Awesome man. You and your wife enjoy!
Old 09-28-2015 | 11:59 PM
David in Talent
Racer

Default Why buy a GTS?

I am 72 and last month took delivery of my custom 992 Carrera 4GTS. It is my 6th PORSCHE AND MY 5th 911. BEST Porsche so far 😎😎😎

Had a chance to see the new 991.2 at RENNSPORT this weekend and to speak with the engineers and designers responsible for the car. Truly brilliant job they did.

Thought my GTS might likely be a keeper, and it WILL be for another 10 years. But PORSCHE has always continued to astound me with improvements to the breed.

BTW all myPORSCHES had 6 speed transmissions EXCEPT for the 4GTS. Will NEVER go back to manual after the PDK . It is THAT good 😎😎😎
Old 09-29-2015 | 12:35 AM
991GTS
Intermediate

"I only worry if I can live long enough to own the next Porsche."

Classic line. Enjoy the car my friend.
Old 09-29-2015 | 01:02 AM
woodrow
Instructor

Default 991 gts manual

This car is exactly what i wanted and didn't know it , rolled the dice after reading forums for 6 months traded my new RS5 Audi DSG (YAWN) nice car but got bored QUICK coming from a 13 ZR1 VETTE, the porsche came with options that i had no real knowledge of but after 4500 miles it's the perfect build for me . cant say enough about the GTS ....ENJOY MY FRIEND CHEERS FROM TAHOE

Quick Reply: Why buy a GTS?