Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I couldn't afford a clean 991 C2S so I rebuilt a salvaged one. Quick story.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:26 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What had to be done to straighten the frame for realignment? I hope you keep the car and enjoy it for a very long time.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Richard K.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love a happy ending!
Old 05-08-2015, 07:01 PM
redirect
Track Day

Thanks everyone for the comments. I love the car so much. It overcome my expectations 5x. Now I realize where the big love for Porsche comes from.

Originally Posted by STG991
After fixing it up, did you end up saving any money versus buying a non-salvage one?

Enjoy!!
I saved 20-25% off the used market price in Europe today. But the USD/ EUR rate has appreciated by 20% since the day I bought it, thus the amount of USD I spent on it then now makes the same amount in Euros for the clean/ unsalvaged second hand C2S. But you never now the exchange rate. So based on the exchange rate the day I bought it, I made a good deal.

Originally Posted by coxswain
The rebuilt car looks beautiful! A great story!

How much did you pay initially at the online auction, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious.
Sure. I bought it for $56k from the auction. But this was in August, 2014. In March, 2015 a friend of mine bought a 2014 C4S cabrio manual with 6k miles and a lesser damage than mine for only $43k. You can certainly get a good deal on those insurance auctions.

Originally Posted by 97c2s993
Nice job...As things usually go in countries in the part of the world you're from (my origins are from the same part of the world) the shop was probably run by someone you know who gave you a good deal and subsequently could also use the job he did on your car to promote his business. Also interesting that they mounted different (but still 991) wheels to move the car for the paint job, while you put the original ones from the initial pictures back on...
Good luck with the car!! Same as mine for probably a fraction of the cost!
I have known the shop since the rebuild of my previous car. However, shops in my area don't do any marketing by any means at all. And customer support is non existent. Its like a wild west. They just don't care about it because the demand for a quality repair is few times higher than a supply. We have many people flipping US imported luxury cars for a living. Waiting lists for repairs are insanely long. If its a good shop, you have to wait for up to 6 months to get a paint job done. That is a major reason why it took me those 10 long moths to rebuild it.

Regarding the wheels, you have a good eye on details We mounted those wheels since day 1 because the original wheels had tires broken on, and I had purchased a winter weel set prior arriving the car. So we mounted the winter set on for the works.

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
What had to be done to straighten the frame for realignment? I hope you keep the car and enjoy it for a very long time.
To straighten the frame they used a body alignment machine. And to properly align it they needed to now the key measurement points which they got from Porsche dealers.

My car had a trunk frame bent and they had to realign it by using that machine, however, by the time the repair works were finished Porsche has started selling complete trunk frames for 800€ only wich is a steal. If I had replaced the frame instead of realigning it I would have gotten a better repair quality and saved a lot of labour hours.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:19 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

refreshing change of pace on the board! great story!
Old 05-08-2015, 07:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

That does it; no more obsessing over stone chips!

PS well done- its a beaut.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:08 PM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
That does it; no more obsessing over stone chips!
Yes, it has that effect.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:10 PM
coxswain
Racer

Originally Posted by redirect
However, shops in my area don't do any marketing by any means at all. And customer support is non existent. Its like a wild west. They just don't care about it because the demand for a quality repair is few times higher than a supply. We have many people flipping US imported luxury cars for a living. Waiting lists for repairs are insanely long. If its a good shop, you have to wait for up to 6 months to get a paint job done. That is a major reason why it took me those 10 long moths to rebuild it.

It sounds like a really good market for the auto repair shops.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:12 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wunderbar! Congratulations...enjoy the ride.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:17 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Any insights on what you had to change to register it in Europe? Like headlights, speedo ...
Old 05-09-2015, 01:54 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Congratulations!
Your road to the Porsche world was certainly more exciting than mine where I just went to the dealer and ordered one. Kudos for taking on the project.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 AM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Very cool! Which country?
Old 05-12-2015, 06:17 PM
redirect
Track Day

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
Any insights on what you had to change to register it in Europe? Like headlights, speedo ...
To register a US imported car in EU you need to have EU spec headlights, rear lights, and sidemarkers have to be clear (orange is not allowed).

991 headlights are both US and EU compliant so you don't have to replace them. You only have to adjust light angles to EU standards. Any decent repair shop can do this at little cost.

The only things I had to replace to comply with EU registration were the rear lights and sidemarkers. EU rear lights look exactly the same as US ones, except turn signals light is yellow, and it has a fog light on a left side, and lights for a reverse gear on both sides.

Regarding speedo, there is no requirement to have it in km/h but I changed it anyway as my personal preference. Tip - you don't need to change the entire dash to have it in km/h - you can only replace a mph speedo dial sticker with a km/h one.

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
Very cool! Which country?
Its Lithuania, EU
Old 05-12-2015, 11:05 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

To register a US imported car in EU you need to have EU spec headlights, rear lights, and sidemarkers have to be clear (orange is not allowed).

991 headlights are both US and EU compliant so you don't have to replace them. You only have to adjust light angles to EU standards. Any decent repair shop can do this at little cost.

The only things I had to replace to comply with EU registration were the rear lights and sidemarkers. EU rear lights look exactly the same as US ones, except turn signals light is yellow, and it has a fog light on a left side, and lights for a reverse gear on both sides.

Regarding speedo, there is no requirement to have it in km/h but I changed it anyway as my personal preference. Tip - you don't need to change the entire dash to have it in km/h - you can only replace a mph speedo dial sticker with a km/h one.

Its Lithuania, EU
Very helpful, thank you for the information. I already replaced the side markers and the clear taillights might be a good option to install. Can you buy the km/h sticker from Porsche or did you just get a sticker printed?
Old 05-13-2015, 10:16 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Its Lithuania, EU
Does anyone know why they are putting red signal light on the rears for US Porsches? From what I see that it is not a requirement since most of other cars BMW, Mercedes, Nissan...come standard with the yellow signal light for the rears.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:47 PM
Sam0116
Cruisin'

Incredible congratulations!

Quick Reply: I couldn't afford a clean 991 C2S so I rebuilt a salvaged one. Quick story.