Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS Help! Backing away from Carmine Red!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 03:59 PM
Pez D. Spencer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carmine red C4S.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:01 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

Carmine red GTS is drop dead sexy with all the black bits. However, being a Porsche, it's just too flashly for me. I want to fly under the radar and that's why I went with GT Silver GTS...if you haven't seen a GT Silver in person, I recommend you should as it is a very difficult color to capture accurately by photographs.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:15 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Actually, on mine the marker is there, it's just black. In other words there's a half inch wide band at 12 o'clock, but it's not red. And Chuck hit the nail on the head -- that band is the whole reason I bought the car.
I think every 911 wheel has that.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:25 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 229 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
I think every 911 wheel has that.
DAMMIT! You mean I could just bought an S, saved $15k and STILL gotten the band??? Where were you people when I was ordering???
Old 04-28-2015, 06:05 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

DAMMIT! You mean I could just bought an S, saved $15k and STILL gotten the band??? Where were you people when I was ordering???
Even my base Carrera has it on the SportDesign steering wheel! So you did not even need to buy the S!
Old 04-28-2015, 07:37 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

Rusty, I won't offer an opinion. This is the ultimate personal choice. I would recommend just one thing - think about what you want from the car.

Other posters have said the GTS is a "sports cars" so you have to get the sporty alcantara interior. For me, I love luxury inside and ordered up the Cognac/Espresso interior. It's beautiful, but it's so not sporty. Outside, I wanted aggressive, but did not want "everyone look at me aggressive". So I ended up with DBM, which with black accents and black wheels, looks aggressive imo.

My combination isn't for most people. I don't expect it to be. But it fits me well. So think about what fits you best. I once owned a Sakir Orange M5. I loved it on that car. So don't shy aware from Carmine (a beautiful color) if it fits your personality or what you're looking for from your 911.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:45 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Biker - wtf????? WHERE'S YOUR CAR DUDE???
Old 04-28-2015, 08:16 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I like Carmine, but not a huge fan of reds on a 911. I do like reds some on a Boxster or Cayman. But I definitely would take Carmine over Guards Red. To my eye, Guards Red looks orange in many lighting conditions. I prefer white, or one of the silvers on a GTS. The black GTS bits just seem to look better on the lighter colors, and don't even show up on black. I have white, so I am obviously partial to that.

I understand some of the concerns about the wear characteristics of Alcantara, bbut most reports are that it wears very well. I really thought I wanted full leather on my GTS, and that is what I have had on my previous 911's. But after seeing the GTS Interior Package in Carmine, I couldn't resist. The contrasting red stitching on the leather, along with the seat belts, floor mats, carbon fiber trim, carmine tach, were to much for me to resist. Plus to me, the GTS Interior Package sets the GTS apart form a regular Carrera. If I was choosing between full leather and the standard GTS Alcantara interior, I would definitely get the full leather.

Good luck with your decision. Ordering a Porsche is a blessing and a PITA at the same time. Too many choices and opportunities to second guess yourself. My guess is you will love whatever you get.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:23 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by rusty22039
Thanks for the post NoGaBiker. It was very helpful and echoed many of my sentiments. I know in my heart of hearts that GT Silver is the logical choice. It works with everything. I just have a very hard time passing on the arrest me CR. It is beautiful, but perhaps best on someone else's car.

Glad to see that someone else thinks the 18 way seats are over the top. I'm shying away from the GTS Interior on this basis alone, although it does define what the package is all about. It is also hard to pass up all that deviated stitching too, but you do get a lot back with Black/Garnet Red. What did you do with your gauges in your interior? Did you leave them black, or deviate them?

There's a 997.2 GT3 for sale with 19K miles down at the dealer. Someone tried to clean up the Alcantara wheel. It looks like a **** carpet and would need to be replaced. The rest of the Alcantara looks OK though.

Enjoy your car in good health.

Your right it's better on someone else's car,.....MINE!
Now go do the right thing and stick with CR!

Name:  IMG_0944.jpg
Views: 3373
Size:  143.5 KB
Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 PM
BMWMB
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

GT Silver...

Old 04-29-2015, 05:49 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

There are a lot of great comments in this thread. I love the Carmine Red on the GTS with the black accents and the Carmine Red interior package looks lovely on that car. But so does the Espresso /Cognac and the Black/Luxor Beige if you want the full leather opulent look. GT Silver with the two tone Garnet Red/Black looks dynamite as well...but it look sweet with the Silver GTS interior as well. For me the interior look is more important than the exterior design as I spend 99% of my time inside my car looking at the interior....which is why in my own car I went with a full leather custom two tone red and black look.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:22 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Red and black interior rocks. I did it over Agate, it'll look even better over GT silver.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:49 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Sonnen Porsche
For me the interior look is more important than the exterior design as I spend 99% of my time inside my car looking at the interior....which is why in my own car I went with a full leather custom two tone red and black look.
Good to know that there's someone else out there who works out from the inside!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:17 AM
HRE Wheels
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 04-30-2015, 12:54 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HRE Wheels

Now that is Sexy

Quick Reply: GTS Help! Backing away from Carmine Red!