Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a DIY on how to remove the rear markers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:29 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is there a DIY on how to remove the rear markers?

I've ordered some OEM spray paint for my car and was planning on removing the red rear markers, sanding, priming, painting and clear coating them. The little red markers are unsightly to me.

However, I can't find any detailed instructions on how to remove them. Anyone try this on their 991?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:40 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Here is the back of the reflector. Removing is easy - just push in A (the rounded side of the reflector) so that you can get a plastic tool behind the squared off portion of the reflector (B). What you need to do is push the tab (C) off the retaining hole. As you push, the reflector will flex, but don't worry it will not break - just push slowly and purposefully and the tab will clear. Once it clears, the reflectors will come right off. Also, make sure you get your plastic tool completely behind the reflector, otherwise you might separate the reflector from the black housing (don't ask me how I know).

Last edited by Porsche_nuts; 06-27-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 PM
Marv800
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks!
Old 04-23-2015, 09:47 PM
isugoo
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 192 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Here is the back of the reflector. Removing is easy - just push in A (the rounded side of the reflector) so that you can get a plastic tool behind the squared off portion of the reflector (B). What you need to do is push the tab (C) off the retaining hole. As you push, the reflector will flex, but don't worry it will not break - just push slowly and purposefully and the tab will clear. Once it clears, the reflectors will come right off. Also, make sure you get your plastic tool completely behind the reflector, otherwise you might separate the reflector from the black housing (don't ask me how I know).
Thanks!
After I saw your post, I ordered bumper plug's color matching reflectors.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:38 AM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you, a great tutorial.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:09 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If only it were that easy for the Turbo rear reflectors. They have a completely different mounting system. Outside of prying them off, rear bumper cover removal is the best way to get at them.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Definitely post up a DIY with pictures of this once you do it!

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 04-28-2017, 07:48 PM
Captain22
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone see this image of the back of the reflector? I cant and am trying to figure out how to get them off.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:14 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,222 Likes on 739 Posts

Here is the pic
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2017, 12:22 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

If you want to push the dyi envelope and practice take rear bumper off also! Very easy to get the reflectors out this way!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Is there a DIY on how to remove the rear markers?