Sponsored by:

A couple of quick Qs about my new 911

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:44 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts
Default A couple of quick Qs about my new 911

I wish I could say I was a newbie, but I have a couple a questions about my new GTS.

1. This is my first Porsche with front parking proximity sensors and I find that sometimes (but not always) the front sensors go off when I'm driving forward and approach a car in front of me. I haven't been able to figure out the rhyme or reason when this does and does not happen, but the only way to turn the front sensors off is to switch the whole system off via the roof mounted switch. What's happening?

2. In order to show traffic on the PCM map, do I need to subscribe to XM traffic info, or does PCM get the info via FM signals?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:01 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Sorry, but I have two cars with front sensors. When they go off it means I am too close to the car in front of me. On each occasion, I am too close to the car in front of me. My cars put on brakes to protect me from myself. It seems you must pay attention to your sensors. I do as we well.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:48 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by freeman
Sorry, but I have two cars with front sensors. When they go off it means I am too close to the car in front of me. On each occasion, I am too close to the car in front of me. My cars put on brakes to protect me from myself. It seems you must pay attention to your sensors. I do as we well.
Should have mentioned - city living with stop and go traffic. Never an issue with my BMWs.
Old 04-12-2015, 08:18 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 313 Likes on 188 Posts

You for sure have to subscribe to the traffic info service. I believe it is another $13 per month above sat radio. I would think that there must be a way to set the range/sensitivity of the parking sensors- there is no way you should be so close to traffic as to set them off.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:28 AM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It may be the lane departure feature on the car in front of you too.
Dan
Old 04-16-2015, 10:42 AM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Twodan
It may be the lane departure feature on the car in front of you too.
Dan
Thanks, but this is routine as I roll to a stop with a car in front of me. It must happen to everyone as this is now a pretty common event for me.

I can live with it, but on my BMWs, the parking proximity sensors (front and rear) did not activate until the car was put into reverse. Once in reverse, the front sensors were active even after the car was shifted back into a forward gear to help with parallel parking, etc. With the Porsche, it appears that the front and rear sensors are always active (i.e. the car does not need to first be shifted into reverse gear).

btw, I did get my traffic data with the XM subscription. Thanks to everyone for that!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
You for sure have to subscribe to the traffic info service. I believe it is another $13 per month above sat radio. I would think that there must be a way to set the range/sensitivity of the parking sensors- there is no way you should be so close to traffic as to set them off.
This one really annoys me: having to subscribe to XM to get traffic info. My BMW pulls it in via HD radio.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:09 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My front sensors routinely go off when I'm crawling in bumper to bumper traffic in Manhattan.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:03 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,579 Likes on 2,329 Posts

I wish I had known ... I might not have ordered them!
Old 04-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I wish I had known ... I might not have ordered them!
I wouldn't worry... mine only go off if there is a car or person really close, less than a couple of feet. I drive in enough traffic and for me at least it does not happen often enough to be of any concern.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,579 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
I wouldn't worry... mine only go off if there is a car or person really close, less than a couple of feet. I drive in enough traffic and for me at least it does not happen often enough to be of any concern.
phew!
Old 04-16-2015, 09:18 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Vise
+1. it's a bit annoying, but it's easy enough to live with. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have changed my order (even the brown interior).

Quick Reply: A couple of quick Qs about my new 911