Sponsored by:

Help/Adice Repairing Alloys

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015 | 01:26 AM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
What model is your car/wheel model?

May not be what you want to hear, but if you want a perfect replacement,......buy a new wheel. Expensive for sure and up to you. Most wheel repair companies can do a pretty good job matching the existing color/shade, but up close you can often spot the repair.

If a popular Porsche wheel, I know of a few people that have found new in box replacements on Ebay,....just make sure they are genuine Porsche wheels and not a copy.
turbo wheel - matt black - centre lock - 991 gets
Old 03-23-2015 | 01:28 AM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by hoppah
I gotta say, if my wife made it clear to me that she didn't give a damn about my car and thought I was an idiot for being upset about damage she carelessly caused to it I would do my level best to ensure she never ever got her hands on the keys.

H.

She cared and was sorry for it but, lets say, not to the same level as doesn't understand or have a passion for it!
Old 03-23-2015 | 08:44 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by pap2828
She cared and was sorry for it but, lets say, not to the same level as doesn't understand or have a passion for it!
1) I feel for you, mate. Years ago, when my new 94 Miata was my pride and joy, my wife sprayed our daughter with sunscreen in the garage. Next to the back of my car. Trunk got a great misting. Which sat there till next time I came out and found... that it had chemically screwed up the clear coat. Spent a day with the orbital and various levels of Griot's compounds, and it was never perfect again. Biggest, most important part of the whole event for me was to recognize how much more important to me the two of them were than the trunk of that car, and to bite my tongue. (and believe me, I'll never love a Porsche as much as I loved that $16,000 car.)

2) My wife makes curbing wheels into a near monthly event. Fortunately she never drives any of my cars. But she has a nice SUV with 20" silver wheels that show rash very easily. Had a fellow (that's "bloke" for you ) out in a mobile van who pulled the wheels one at at time, deflated and broke the tire bead, sanded the rash out, and reshot the whole thing in what appeared to me to be a perfect match. He had a gazillion silvers in the van. Two years on there's plenty more new rash, but the original (new) finish is still perfect where it's not been re-gashed. Job took about a half-hour per wheel, cost about $135 per, if I recall correctly.

Point being, it's not rocket science, it can be done quickly, and nobody should need to keep your car for weeks.
Old 03-23-2015 | 12:45 PM
wanderfalke
Racer

Cheaper to keep her.
Old 03-23-2015 | 12:57 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

I called one of the most reputable places here and they said that they don't know if they can exactly match Porsche's satin black finish, but it would probably be close. That's if you're refinishing the whole wheel. Otherwise, if it's a relatively small repair, black should be the easiest to match to the point that it would be unnoticeable to everyone except maybe you. Trust me, I've been there, and, as luck would have it, scratched my wheel yesterday. And mine is a brushed finish, so I'm f$%%#.
Old 03-23-2015 | 04:00 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
1) I feel for you, mate. Years ago, when my new 94 Miata was my pride and joy, my wife sprayed our daughter with sunscreen in the garage. Next to the back of my car. Trunk got a great misting. Which sat there till next time I came out and found... that it had chemically screwed up the clear coat. Spent a day with the orbital and various levels of Griot's compounds, and it was never perfect again. Biggest, most important part of the whole event for me was to recognize how much more important to me the two of them were than the trunk of that car, and to bite my tongue. (and believe me, I'll never love a Porsche as much as I loved that $16,000 car.)

2) My wife makes curbing wheels into a near monthly event. Fortunately she never drives any of my cars. But she has a nice SUV with 20" silver wheels that show rash very easily. Had a fellow (that's "bloke" for you ) out in a mobile van who pulled the wheels one at at time, deflated and broke the tire bead, sanded the rash out, and reshot the whole thing in what appeared to me to be a perfect match. He had a gazillion silvers in the van. Two years on there's plenty more new rash, but the original (new) finish is still perfect where it's not been re-gashed. Job took about a half-hour per wheel, cost about $135 per, if I recall correctly.

Point being, it's not rocket science, it can be done quickly, and nobody should need to keep your car for weeks.
thanks Buddy much appreciated.....
Old 03-23-2015 | 04:02 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by shaytun
I called one of the most reputable places here and they said that they don't know if they can exactly match Porsche's satin black finish, but it would probably be close. That's if you're refinishing the whole wheel. Otherwise, if it's a relatively small repair, black should be the easiest to match to the point that it would be unnoticeable to everyone except maybe you. Trust me, I've been there, and, as luck would have it, scratched my wheel yesterday. And mine is a brushed finish, so I'm f$%%#.
Cheers for advice...

Sorry to hear you have also suffered. Its a right bastard!

Quick Reply: Help/Adice Repairing Alloys