991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera GTS Build Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015 | 12:29 PM
GTSwest
Instructor

+1 on the GTS communications package. The alcantara / carbon / leather combination with either carmine or rhodium stitching is very distinctive and defines the interior as a GTS. Alcantara on the seat will hold better than leather on the track, but make the steering wheel leather.

Sport pasm really changes the stance of the car by lowering it an additional 10mm - highly recommended.

I like PDCC, more comfort as a DD and less body roll and tire wear on the track.

Are you going black or silver on the "S" wheels?

Congrats on ordering your new Porsche 911 GTS!
Old 03-16-2015 | 12:32 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Note the OP's car is dual purpose dd/track ... if he wants a track 991 he should spec Sport PASM and avoid PDCC ...

I personally dont think a 911 needs dynamic swaybars, its not a 2.5 ton SUV, YMMV
+1
Old 03-16-2015 | 01:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Doesn't PDCC make the 991 faster round a track? It certainly felt to me like it did, but I'm not an experienced track person.
"it depends", yes it reduces roll and hence will improve contact patch and increase grip, but ...

1) a number of people have reported PDCC failures on track

2) a number of people believe that with PDCC its harder to 'feel' the car approaching its limits, and when it exceeds them it comes as a surprise

PDCC is primarily design to make straight line driving 'softer' by decoupling the sway bars hence making the ride more compliant, when cornering it preferentially stiffens the bars on the 'outside' to reduce roll, which could be
achieved with a stiffer suspension setup like Sport PASM (sacrificing the
lincoln town car mode in a straight line)

YMMV
Old 03-16-2015 | 01:11 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by GTSwest

I like PDCC, more comfort as a DD and less body roll and tire wear on the track.
Can I ask you about that? I'm curious as to what you mean by "more comfort as a DD." Because if it has the effect of a larger, stiffer anti-roll bar, then the classic definition of that is less comfort as a DD. And even if through electronics they have managed to make it only tighten up when cornering and not negatively effect the ride when you are going over uneven or bumpy pavement, I still don't see how it could be any more comfortable than a car without it -- seems like the best it could be is "less roll in the high-g corners and just as comfortable over uneven pavement." But I don't own one so I can't say. The car I test drove for about 2 hours total on two occasions did have SPASM with PDCC and it seemed fine to me in the comfort department, but you know how it goes with test drives -- nuances are hard to notice.

And then the issue of track usage -- have you been tracking yours, or are you speaking theoretically? My reasoning in not opting for the PDCC was the knowledge that I am able to tell my car is approaching its limits by a variety of factors, one of the biggest of which is the amount of roll I'm sensing. So I didn't want to dampen that very much (anti-roll bars, of course, dampen it considerably, but I'm very used to these and they are built into my internal calculations.)

So it seems like the PDCC effect would be to reduce the amount of roll, and thereby the range my internal "about to exceed limits of traction" gauge has to work with. Like how a volume control **** that has only 1/4" travel between min and max is harder to precisely position than one that has 4" of travel.

All this is speculation on my part; just wondering if you have real world experience with the system in 10/10ths driving?

Thanks
Old 03-16-2015 | 01:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Can I ask you about that? I'm curious as to what you mean by "more comfort as a DD." Because if it has the effect of a larger, stiffer anti-roll bar, then the classic definition of that is less comfort as a DD. And even if through electronics they have managed to make it only tighten up when cornering and not negatively effect the ride when you are going over uneven or bumpy pavement, I still don't see how it could be any more comfortable than a car without it -- seems like the best it could be is "less roll in the high-g corners and just as comfortable over uneven pavement." But I don't own one so I can't say. The car I test drove for about 2 hours total on two occasions did have SPASM with PDCC and it seemed fine to me in the comfort department, but you know how it goes with test drives -- nuances are hard to notice.

And then the issue of track usage -- have you been tracking yours, or are you speaking theoretically? My reasoning in not opting for the PDCC was the knowledge that I am able to tell my car is approaching its limits by a variety of factors, one of the biggest of which is the amount of roll I'm sensing. So I didn't want to dampen that very much (anti-roll bars, of course, dampen it considerably, but I'm very used to these and they are built into my internal calculations.)

So it seems like the PDCC effect would be to reduce the amount of roll, and thereby the range my internal "about to exceed limits of traction" gauge has to work with. Like how a volume control **** that has only 1/4" travel between min and max is harder to precisely position than one that has 4" of travel.

All this is speculation on my part; just wondering if you have real world experience with the system in 10/10ths driving?

Thanks
+1
Old 03-16-2015 | 01:36 PM
deltachi_991
7th Gear

Thank you all for the feedback. The 20" Carrera S wheels are in matte black. The turbo wheels look great - difficult to remove come track time. Would the Alcantara be better than the gray leather or black leather? Worried about the amount of heat it would generate being dark exterior and dark interior. I have not seen any local dealer with the color / interior that I like. Hence the challenge of the ideal color combination. Thus far I heard, 18 ways seats and the 4 ways seats. Would the sport PASM be better than the PDCC w pasm on the track?
Thank you.
Old 03-16-2015 | 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deltachi_991
Thank you all for the feedback. The 20" Carrera S wheels are in matte black. The turbo wheels look great - difficult to remove come track time. Would the Alcantara be better than the gray leather or black leather? Worried about the amount of heat it would generate being dark exterior and dark interior. I have not seen any local dealer with the color / interior that I like. Hence the challenge of the ideal color combination. Thus far I heard, 18 ways seats and the 4 ways seats. Would the sport PASM be better than the PDCC w pasm on the track?
Thank you.
In my opinion YES ... others who have PDCC and track should comment.
Old 03-16-2015 | 02:21 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

I've tried PDCC on track and liked it, but it was only on the handling circuit at Silverstone so not very high speed, and also even there I wouldn't say 10/10ths. I'm not sure I've ever driven anything 10/10ths. I haven't tried SPASM (my car is a cab so it wasn't an option) but can see why it might win for the track as an either/or choice. It also makes the car look cooler, which PDCC doesn't.

That said I spend a lot of time on poor quality UK roads so the added stiffness of SPASM isn't something I'd want. I'm also in London and have a great deal of speed bumps in my life, so wouldn't want any less ground clearance on a GTS.

I didn't notice a difference in comfort between the PDCC and non-PDCC cars when I drove them back to back. I think it works by simulating a light sway bar when the car is going straight and a heavy one when it's cornering, so one in theory gets the best of both worlds.

Regarding the grip-limit question, I found the PDCC car's handling on a low-friction circuit to be pleasant and predictable, but think the system has caused controversy for two reasons.

1) Because the car's contact patches are more even, it requires more centripetal force to be made to let go. It is therefore travelling faster for a given turn radius. It will therefore 'go' more quickly when it does.

2) Experienced drivers use lean angle as a 'guage' for grip. The PDCC car doesn't lean as much (I'm told it still does, but only when grip limit is about to be exceeded), so this 'instrument' is effectively removed. But one can still feel and hear the car start to slide when it does and make the appropriate correction.

Full disclosure (and I wonder if this may be important): the 991 is the first 911 I've driven (apart from a brief go in a 997 GTS4 cab which I didn't much like). I'm not an experienced 911 person, I don't have a finely tuned lean/driftometer in my sitting area that will need to be reprogrammed. I've driven a Boxster fairly spiritedly for 3 years, so maybe I liked the PDCC because it made the car feel *less* like a traditional 911 and more like something mid-engined, more 'naturally' balanced, I dunno. It does seem to be something that polarises opinion.
Old 03-16-2015 | 02:23 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Thank you.
Think you'll be fine either way heat-wise. Leather seats come with ventilation as standard on a GTS (at least in the UK - aware that specs may be different depending on where you are), and alcantara doesn't get hot and sweaty in the same way as leather anyway.
Old 03-16-2015 | 02:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

I've tried PDCC on track and liked it, but it was only on the handling circuit at Silverstone so not very high speed, and also even there I wouldn't say 10/10ths. I'm not sure I've ever driven anything 10/10ths. I haven't tried SPASM (my car is a cab so it wasn't an option) but can see why it might win for the track as an either/or choice. It also makes the car look cooler, which PDCC doesn't.

That said I spend a lot of time on poor quality UK roads so the added stiffness of SPASM isn't something I'd want. I'm also in London and have a great deal of speed bumps in my life, so wouldn't want any less ground clearance on a GTS.

I didn't notice a difference in comfort between the PDCC and non-PDCC cars when I drove them back to back. I think it works by simulating a light sway bar when the car is going straight and a heavy one when it's cornering, so one in theory gets the best of both worlds.

Regarding the grip-limit question, I found the PDCC car's handling on a low-friction circuit to be pleasant and predictable, but think the system has caused controversy for two reasons.

1) Because the car's contact patches are more even, it requires more centripetal force to be made to let go. It is therefore travelling faster for a given turn radius. It will therefore 'go' more quickly when it does.

2) Experienced drivers use lean angle as a 'guage' for grip. The PDCC car doesn't lean as much (I'm told it still does, but only when grip limit is about to be exceeded), so this 'instrument' is effectively removed. But one can still feel and hear the car start to slide when it does and make the appropriate correction.

Full disclosure (and I wonder if this may be important): the 991 is the first 911 I've driven (apart from a brief go in a 997 GTS4 cab which I didn't much like). I'm not an experienced 911 person, I don't have a finely tuned lean/driftometer in my sitting area that will need to be reprogrammed. I've driven a Boxster fairly spiritedly for 3 years, so maybe I liked the PDCC because it made the car feel *less* like a traditional 911 and more like something mid-engined, more 'naturally' balanced, I dunno. It does seem to be something that polarises opinion.
good summary!
Old 03-16-2015 | 02:40 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Thanks Rat. One of the problems with these cars nowdays is the capabilities of any of them are so high, there's absolutely no way one can experience the at-the-limit nuanced differences in any sort of a test drive short of a full-blown track experience. Most people don't have that option.
Old 03-17-2015 | 10:46 AM
pap2828
Racer

Hi. I'm ordering a carrera GTS - first Porsche. Seek feedback from others on the below build:
Dark Blue exterior
Gray leather interior
20" Carrera S wheels
Manual Transmission
4 way seats
PDCC with PASM
Bose sound system
front and rear camera
SportDesign Steering Wheel
Smoker package
Luggage Net
The purpose of the car will be my daily driver / track car. Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

GTS interior package - Looks fantastic!
Heated seats.

Old 03-17-2015 | 10:52 AM
pap2828
Racer

I have PDCC and love it....

Never been one for enjoying rolling from side to side around corners and this option is a must for me!

I do know I am in the minority here though but heho!!
Old 03-17-2015 | 03:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pap2828
I have PDCC and love it....

Never been one for enjoying rolling from side to side around corners and this option is a must for me!

I do know I am in the minority here though but heho!!
But have you driven it hard on a race track, just curious?
Old 03-17-2015 | 03:41 PM
pap2828
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
But have you driven it hard on a race track, just curious?
Yes 3 times, however, I am by 'no' means any expert just its feels good to me!

Quick Reply: Carrera GTS Build Advice