Sponsored by:

Rear Seatbelt Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 01:56 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Rear Seatbelt Rattle

As I was driving today I noticed a rattle coming from the piece that the rear seatbelt comes out of. The piece right between the rear window and rear passenger window. I was thinking of trying to stuff felt around it. When I push it or hold it while driving, there is no rattle. It is fairly loose fitting,as is the other side, so that is normal. Does this piece just pull of and snap back in? Any suggestions, trying to solve this on my own instead of running to the dealer. Thanks
Old 03-15-2015, 03:01 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Same here. Unless my 8 year old is riding back there which is rare, I buckle the rear seatbelts. No rattle for me. Also, when out on the highway with windows down I also buckle the passenger front seat belt as well so it doesn't dangle in the wind.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:05 PM
woodranch
Pro

Thanks Marcus, it is not the seatbelt but that whole piece from where the seatbelt comes out from.... If you push on the piece the rattle stops
Old 03-15-2015, 03:19 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Yea. The plastic itself. I hear you. There are going to be these maddening rattles. If no one is going to be riding back there stuff that area where the belt comes out of with that black felt you have.

Others of us get the drivers door speaker rattle which I have resorted to leaving a big black tube sock rolled up there. You'd think spending coin like this on a car that it would be rattle free. Just not the case. #awful
Old 03-15-2015, 06:01 PM
woodranch
Pro

I am thinking it is not where the belt comes out but the whole suede piece that the belt come out from. The noise does not stop when I push the seatbelt but rather when I hold that whole suede piece...
Old 03-15-2015, 06:11 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by woodranch
I am thinking it is not where the belt comes out but the whole suede piece that the belt come out from. The noise does not stop when I push the seatbelt but rather when I hold that whole suede piece...
I think what you are referring to is the C Pillar trim panel.... You can easily pull it off and check behind it. Perhaps there is a clip not seated properly, or there is something "loose" where the seat belt assembly fastens to the body. I believe there is also a wire harness that runs past this point, so check that it is not vibrating or loose...

Here's an illustration. Hope this helps!

Porsche 991 911 Rear C-Pillar
Old 03-15-2015, 06:18 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Here's a pic of the piece the OP sent me

And a picture of the awesome car he just picked up!! Another GT Silver beauty!

Last edited by STG; 03-15-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:12 PM
woodranch
Pro

Thanks Plenum, that is the exact piece that is causing the rattle. Just pullit off and it should snap back in? Appreciate the help!
STG991 Thanks for posting my picture!!!!!!!
Old 03-15-2015, 08:32 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Thanks Plenum, that is the exact piece that is causing the rattle. Just pullit off and it should snap back in? Appreciate the help!
STG991 Thanks for posting my picture!!!!!!!
Hi- yes, you should pull from the front-edge first. It helps a LOT if you have some nylon / plastic trim tools. Also, there is a chance that you have to pull the ceiling trim off in that area first.... can't remember from experience, but the Porsche Workshop Manual actually states a preliminary work step for removing this trim piece is to remove "rear roof trim panel." But I never did.

When you pull the piece off, there are I think three pins. Don't break them off. The part should just push back in to re-install. Rear and bottom pins first, then snap...

One last thing- when checking the rear seat belt mounting bracket, the torque setting for the bolt is 50 Nm or (37 ft lb.). Wouldn't hurt to make sure it is to spec.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:41 PM
woodranch
Pro

Plenum, now I am in trouble. No tools....so I think I should take it to the dealer. I am not the handiest guy around. I am trying to stuff felt around it it to help. My guess is I will have to take it to the dealer, which I hate to do because I did not buy it from them.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:47 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Plenum, now I am in trouble. No tools....so I think I should take it to the dealer. I am not the handiest guy around. I am trying to stuff felt around it it to help. My guess is I will have to take it to the dealer, which I hate to do because I did not buy it from them.
No special tools required, just easier with them to get the leverage you need to get the positioning pins out. But you can definitely do it by hand! Trick is to get some leverage under the piece, working your fingers under the edge both top and bottom, and pull kinda hard on the front section first. You'll be surprised how hard you do have to pull to release it....!

And if you don't have a torque wrench, just ignore I said that part about the seat belt bracket.... I just threw that in there as I thought about it. If it looks loose, obviously you should get it tightened. But it is likely something else causing the rattle anyways.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:29 PM
woodranch
Pro

Thank you, I tried to pull out the piece as far as I can without pulling it off, then I stuffed felt all around to see if that will help. Have not driven it to see if it worked but will keep you informed. Thank you for your help!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:00 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Thank you, I tried to pull out the piece as far as I can without pulling it off, then I stuffed felt all around to see if that will help. Have not driven it to see if it worked but will keep you informed. Thank you for your help!
By the way, absolutely beautiful car!!

I have the same GT Silver car, but different wheel setup. Oh, and I've already messed with it just a bit....

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:17 AM
woodranch
Pro

Thanks, I absolutely love it!
Old 10-16-2018, 04:54 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
I think what you are referring to is the C Pillar trim panel.... You can easily pull it off and check behind it. Perhaps there is a clip not seated properly, or there is something "loose" where the seat belt assembly fastens to the body. I believe there is also a wire harness that runs past this point, so check that it is not vibrating or loose...

Here's an illustration. Hope this helps!

Porsche 991 911 Rear C-Pillar
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I’ve been searching on here for some time with limited results. Trying to find out how to remove the trim panel UNDERNEATH this (the one that has the speaker grille in it), can anyone advise please? Thank you! -Dom

Quick Reply: Rear Seatbelt Rattle