Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

This? From WM 707519....
Old 10-16-2018, 10:18 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
This?
Yes! Thanks for the response! What I could not tell is if the “latch bolt” for the seat needed to come off (seems like it does) and, if so, how to remove it - any tips? What OTHER pieces need to come loose to free it? Again, thanks for the response! -Dom
Old 10-16-2018, 10:29 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

After you remove the B and C pillars, plus the rear seat cushion, you then need to remove the locking-pin for the rear seat-back. Then as you remove the trim panel obviously the speaker needs to be disconnected from wiring, but that is only if you remove the panel entirely.

The locking-pins just remove with a cordless drill / bit.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:44 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Sorry should have included.... The pin just un-screws directly.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:50 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

After you remove the B and C pillars, plus the rear seat cushion, you then need to remove the locking-pin for the rear seat-back. Then as you remove the trim panel obviously the speaker needs to be disconnected from wiring, but that is only if you remove the panel entirely.

The locking-pins just remove with a cordless drill / bit.
Ahhh, ok, missed that! For the C pillar, I see where the orange strap connects to the CAR but I do not where/how it connects to the trim piece. The car side does NOT seem like it wants to come loose, worried about brute forcing it and breaking something - any insight to how it connects to the trim piece? Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by Dom991.1; 10-16-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:35 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Not sure I understand? Orange strap? Seatbelt? Maybe a picture of what you are looking-at would help....
Old 10-16-2018, 01:16 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Not sure I understand? Orange strap? Seatbelt? Maybe a picture of what you are looking-at would help....
Sorry, here you go. For someone else’s reference in the future - both ends are held in by a two piece clip (where the back of second piece expands when the first piece is pushed into it completely). Best way to remove is with a “forked” trim removal tool. The side on the actual pillar is a PITA to remove/reinstall. Does anyone else see this strap?? For reference my 991 is a 2015 Coupe (obviously)...

Old 10-16-2018, 02:10 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

I've had the panel off before, and don't recall seeing that strap -- not even sure what it would be for honestly. Not referenced in the WMs either as being significant in any way when removing/installing. Interesting..... I'll have to do some research and see what I can find.... Does it have a plastic bit on it at the end there that is round, and fits into the hole-and-slot visible just above the window there in your picture? Perhaps that is what was rattling around if you didn't have to release to lower the panel?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:07 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

I've had the panel off before, and don't recall seeing that strap -- not even sure what it would be for honestly. Not referenced in the WMs either as being significant in any way when removing/installing. Interesting..... I'll have to do some research and see what I can find.... Does it have a plastic bit on it at the end there that is round, and fits into the hole-and-slot visible just above the window there in your picture? Perhaps that is what was rattling around if you didn't have to release to lower the panel?
I could not figure out a purpose for it (but then again, I’m no expert). I checked - it is on both sides. I didn’t have a rattle back there but I can see how those clips might cause noise if they got loose and we’re rolling around behind the panels. It does NOT go in the “hole-and-slot” visible in the pic, that’s for the metal clip and black plastic “cone” you see in the pic on the C pillar. It goes into the TINY hole immediately next to that (moving toward the front of the car). Interestingly, it actually makes securing that C pillar confidently much WORSE b/c you HAVE to secure that first and are then “tethered” to the car and it’s hard to see BEHIND the C pillar to line up clips and secure it. I did it but it was a PITA...let me know what you find, curious as well now. -Dom
Old 10-16-2018, 08:46 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Interesting follow-up - was looking at a parts diagram for the 991 and part #5 in the picture below lists as “spreader rivet”. It is DEFINITELY the rivet that anchors the orange strap to the C pillar. The strap itself isn’t shown but the rivet serves NO other purpose (it is inserted front to back as shown in the illustration and is situated such that it is shielded from contact with ANYTHING else but the strap) so I’m not sure why they would list it and NOT the strap.

Quick Reply: Rear Seatbelt Rattle