Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question: RS5 to 911 Turbo S Cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015 | 08:48 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Had 4 different TT's over the last few years and the 4S now. The turbos were amazing cars to drive daily. You can put on the miles and then when you want it to, it becomes a rocket. You can't go wrong with the TTS. Very reliable. Don't know the newest TT, I had 996 and 997 versions but I can't imagine it is not just better.
Thanks Penn4S !

I think I'm going to go look at the one in Long Island this week. I drove the RS5 today and I'm over it already, it's time to move on.
Old 03-14-2015 | 03:07 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cwazyeurodrivr
Thanks Penn4S ! I think I'm going to go look at the one in Long Island this week. I drove the RS5 today and I'm over it already, it's time to move on.
Good luck. Post some pics if you pull the trigger.
Old 03-14-2015 | 10:11 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

R8?
Old 03-14-2015 | 10:57 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by rcg412
R8?

I was thinking about that too, but heard there are many problems with it? I've also read that there is more in the 911 of cargo room, more comfortable ride for daily drives, and its better on MPG. Yes the R8 is a head turner, but I' not looking for that. I'm looking for a fun , once in a while weekday, weekend/weekend get away toy. I'll use the Cayenne for everything else.

I don't want another high maintenance vehicle, The RS5 is like having 10 significant others. If it doesn't go into the dealer every 3-5 weeks something major happens, it's gotten to the point where I've considered just dropping it off every 4 weeks. The last trip to the dealer 5 weeks 4 days ago, was to replace the left CAT converter... and the engine and tranny had to come out for them to do so. As they took it out they noticed the tranny double clutch valve system was leaking so had to wait 9 days for a new tranny to be sent from Audi Germany... I didn't have it for 17 days, and when I got it back do you think they could have washed it? NOPE! I dropped it off with 7/8 of a tank, I got it back with 1/8 tank and an extra 112 miles on it. Nashua, NH Audi.. 2 thumbs down on customer service. I dinged them big time on the service survey that I got e-mailed to me.

Now yesterday I noticed it's got a skip or misfire in the engine between 2500-3200 rpms so bad you can watch the tach bounce as you are driving 75-85mph. So I was going to drive it to NY and goto the Porsche dealer with it, but its so bad today after going to breakfast with friends. I'm now waiting for Audi Roadside to come get it, and my dealer offered me a LOVELY A3 as a loaner car, but I told them I'll just use the Cayenne until the RS5 is repaired... once again.. I'm just done with it.... I'm for a change.

Last edited by cwazyeurodrivr; 03-14-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-14-2015 | 12:04 PM
blinsc
Advanced

Exactly what I want... IN NH and 12-14 miles north of Boston I am generally in the 80-105 range often, esp on 495, can easily hold 105++++++++++ most days.

I've been on the LIE manytimes between NYC and Melville & Farmingdale ... it's truly a " LIE".
Question: are the numbers next to your cars the mileage you reached? Just for fun, I added it all up. It's over 1.7 million miles.

For more fun, let's assume you are 50 years old (just for argument's sake; even if you are younger or older, the numbers are still just as ridiculous) and have been driving since the day you were born: you've driven an average of 94 miles a day. H O L Y C H R I S T.

One more question: have you been able to figure out how to drive and sleep at the same time?
Old 03-14-2015 | 12:26 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by blinsc
Question: are the numbers next to your cars the mileage you reached? Just for fun, I added it all up. It's over 1.7 million miles.

For more fun, let's assume you are 50 years old (just for argument's sake; even if you are younger or older, the numbers are still just as ridiculous) and have been driving since the day you were born: you've driven an average of 94 miles a day. H O L Y C H R I S T.

One more question: have you been able to figure out how to drive and sleep at the same time?
Yes that is correct.. Miles reached, & purchased as virgins...hahaha.. I just turned 41, and I'm usually good for 125/150-260 a day. There are a few days that I've not wanted to stay in a hotel overnight, so driven the 273 miles to Manhattan, meetings all day and driven all the way back in same day ( usually a 6am, to 7-8pm day 3 1/2 down, 3 1/2-5 back depends if I feel like stopping on the way back to visit family in CT) There have been a few weeks that I did 1400 miles in a single week. It's nothing for me to change my oil every 3 1/2 to 4 weeks ( I do 5K oil changes). There was one year that I got the 03 Saab 95 Aero with 1.2 miles on it. My VP had a heart attack and I was asked to cover for him for a 6mths, that turned into a year of covering for him. I did 94,000 that year. Now he's retired, and the bean counters decided to push me into his seat and not backfill my old position so basically doing both jobs once again.
Old 03-19-2015 | 04:02 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Well an update....

I've been on Long Island since last night from NYC meetings. At lunch today I took off from my team and went to the dealer with the 911 Turbo S... I'm in love with it. Took it for a short drive and it's amazingly fast, and it's been sitting and all 4 tyres have flat spots on them, so bad it felt like belts were separated.

So I'm going to think about this one, they offered me $8500 off because of the tyres and I said I'd have to rent a trailer to get it back to NH.

After my 3-4 meeting I'm going to go to the Ferrari dealer and check out a California just to make sure I'm covering my basis as far as a weekend toy. I do like the fact that if I had to take the 911 out in the winter is is AWD. I also found out last night that Jag stuffed AWD into the F-type Rs.. Hummm this is turning into a major project !

Oh and an update on my RS5.... all 8 coils are being replaced, 2 high pressure fuel pumps, and 8 fuel injector seals. NOT happy about it. I told the service manager that sadly my old Range Rover gave me less problems than the RS5.
Old 03-20-2015 | 08:37 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

OMG I'm in the exact same boat. I have an RS5 daily driver. Very nice car. Fun at times. Looking at GTS...
Old 03-21-2015 | 10:51 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by LastMezger
OMG I'm in the exact same boat. I have an RS5 daily driver. Very nice car. Fun at times. Looking at GTS...
What year? many problems? My 08 S5 was OK.. wasn't good, far fro great.. the 14 RS5.... NIGHTMARE!

3 fuel pumps ( 1 tank, 2 high pressure 2-trips)
2 CATS ( engine had to come out each time)
1 DSG valve system ( Dual clutch tranny shifting valves)
1 ECU
1 MMI ECU ( still the best infotainment system on the market! )
ALL front end bushings ( vibration felt from 45-100+, after 5 months of back and forth they " redesigned " the bushings)
2 key fobs replaced
1-rear caliper seized
1-trunk release motor
1-subwoofer
1-driver side seatbelt ( wouldn't retract)
MULTIPLE software updates

now yesterday... 8 ignition coils, 5 fuel injectors, 8 fuel injector seals, software update, 2 high pressure fuel pumps, 2 recalls ( new sticker, 2 new tie rods, and sway links) , and 4-wheel alignment ( due to parts being replaced in the recall)

I'm so done with the RS5. If it wasn't snowing I'd be out shopping/test driving right now with it. The service manager said Audi would be in contact with me for compensation. I literally told him " They have 2 choices, buy it back from me, or get ready for some major bad press about it, I've already posted on many Audi forums, twitter, and I was told to paint lemons on it and drive it around to Audi dealers" He just said " I have a call with them Monday morning about you and 2 other clients, I'll let them know exactly what you just said"

Pros of the RS5... B&O sound system, Audi MMI best system on the market! , looks sexy, handles well, great all-weather sports car,
Cons.... Worse than having 20 significant others maintenance wise, HORRIBLE gas millage best I've gotten is 13.8mpg with cruise set to 65 on the mass pike.

Last edited by cwazyeurodrivr; 03-21-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-22-2015 | 11:38 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

What year? many problems? My 08 S5 was OK.. wasn't good, far fro great.. the 14 RS5.... NIGHTMARE!

3 fuel pumps ( 1 tank, 2 high pressure 2-trips)
2 CATS ( engine had to come out each time)
1 DSG valve system ( Dual clutch tranny shifting valves)
1 ECU
1 MMI ECU ( still the best infotainment system on the market! )
ALL front end bushings ( vibration felt from 45-100+, after 5 months of back and forth they " redesigned " the bushings)
2 key fobs replaced
1-rear caliper seized
1-trunk release motor
1-subwoofer
1-driver side seatbelt ( wouldn't retract)
MULTIPLE software updates

now yesterday... 8 ignition coils, 5 fuel injectors, 8 fuel injector seals, software update, 2 high pressure fuel pumps, 2 recalls ( new sticker, 2 new tie rods, and sway links) , and 4-wheel alignment ( due to parts being replaced in the recall)

I'm so done with the RS5. If it wasn't snowing I'd be out shopping/test driving right now with it. The service manager said Audi would be in contact with me for compensation. I literally told him " They have 2 choices, buy it back from me, or get ready for some major bad press about it, I've already posted on many Audi forums, twitter, and I was told to paint lemons on it and drive it around to Audi dealers" He just said " I have a call with them Monday morning about you and 2 other clients, I'll let them know exactly what you just said"

Pros of the RS5... B&O sound system, Audi MMI best system on the market! , looks sexy, handles well, great all-weather sports car,
Cons.... Worse than having 20 significant others maintenance wise, HORRIBLE gas millage best I've gotten is 13.8mpg with cruise set to 65 on the mass pike.
Brutal.

Mines a 2015 and so far only 2000 miles.
Old 03-22-2015 | 11:51 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Brutal.

AH OK well buy an the extended bumper to bumper warrantee from Audi, You are going to need it and make back 2-3X easily! My 08 paid for the car and then some after it kicked in. Many issues with that first generation S5.
Old 03-26-2015 | 05:58 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Brutal.

RS5 days are numbered, Audi has agreed to take it back from me. Tuesday night I drove it to the gym, as I was about to pull into the gym parking lot it shut off while doing 30 mph. restarted it to check engine light, brake light, abs, srs, smog and " performance degraded" warning on the info screen. I drove it back home, got the extra key fob, put both key fobs in the car, uninstalled the Rocky Mountain detector and scrambler out of the RS5 that was hard wired and installed it into the Cayenne. Audi Roadside showed up and took it. E-mailed the video to the GM, Service manager, and Audi customer care rep. with the comments :

" as you can see from the attached video it's on it's way back to the dealer. You can now write a check for the full amount minus the .45/mile we discussed for the 33,720 miles on it per the video attached. I don't want to know anything unless there is paperwork to be signed, and a check. I'll have the title in the morning after I go to the bank and get it out of the safe deposit box."

10am the GM was calling me saying he was printing up the buy back agreement this morning and I stopped on my way to the office and signed everything and deposited the check shortly after leaving. He did ask where I purchased the Cayenne told him and I wasn't pleased that I didn't buy it there. OHwell.... you couldn't fix the Audi , what makes you think I was going to buy another vehicle from the same location? ...

Now shopping for a fun can begins again this weekend!
Old 03-27-2015 | 12:55 AM
blinsc
Advanced

So does this mean the Turbo S Cab is a go?
Old 03-27-2015 | 09:56 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Originally Posted by blinsc
So does this mean the Turbo S Cab is a go?
Haha well a little bit ago , I called the dealer ( not the one I bought the RS5 at ) where I got the Cayenne and told them to have a R8 Spyder ready to test drive this morning , and search 500 mile radius for turbo S cabrio that are in stock . Soon as I'm done with my morning and early afternoon conference calls I'll be at the dealer hehe
Old 03-27-2015 | 04:29 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

TTS Cab would be my vote.
My TT Cab is the first turbo I've owned and it's an amazing car IMO.
It will literally rattle your eye ***** with launch control.... It's stupid fast! But then it's totally sedate and mild mannered in the very next instance. Turning radius with all wheel steering is pretty cool as well.
The exhaust is a little subdued, but it has lots of whistles, crackles, snaps and pops to it. I added a SharkWerks to help liven mine up and am happy with the results, but there are many options available

You can also get 5 lug wheels as a NC option, as well as centre lock on the TTS, despite what another poster on the thread stated.

Good luck in your endeavour!

Quick Reply: Question: RS5 to 911 Turbo S Cabrio?