Sponsored by:

GT Silver sitting by Rhodium in soft light

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:38 PM
GTSwest
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

rhodium = light blue / trendy

rhodium is a very dynamic silver that takes on a wide range of tones and provides the highlights and shading that accent the lovely curves of the 911. The only time it will appear light blue is as a result of poorly processed digital photos. Incredible at night and when the sun is filtered through clouds, but very white-ish silver in bright sunlight.

In the recent issue of Christophorus all Porsche models are presented in the design center in one color - silver, under the light of a cloudy summer day - as this best shows of the lines of the car.

both GT and rhodium will be the easiest colors to look after, I would order rhodium again.

'15 GTS
'14 C2S rhodium
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM
shandyman5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the C4GTS in Porsche release press pictures Rhodium or GT Silver? Can anyone confirm which?
Old 03-04-2015, 04:31 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Yeah, that is platinum silver IMO.

If I was to pick any Porsche Silver, it would be PTS Polar Silver,....if I couldn't get that I wouldn't pick silver.
Polar silver was the standard Porsche 911 silver offering 17-19 model years ago...most buyers did not like it because it was too " blue " ...almost identical to current Rhodium silver ...so save your PTS money and and take advantage of standard metallic paint pricing if you want a bluish silver - via rhodium.
It wont be around long, I suspect , since the blue tint in it only works with black,blue or grey interiors , excluding the higher end leather options like red ( too Superman ) , espresso or cognac/espresso which coordinate nicely with GT Silver or the previous browner Plat Silver

It is the same complaint we had back then....but the color palette folks in their marketing / sales division today were probably still in elementary school then so do not know that history obviously.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:49 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts

^^ Spot on. 993s in Polar were prevalent, and it works pretty well with a Black interior, but it is an extremely cool silver, like Rhodium, and never looked right with any of the warm hues (tans, browns, Boxster Red, etc.) Worked with Metropol Blue, but that was a... ummm... less than fantastic interior color.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:47 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

My Rhodium and Polar Silver cars. They are very close but Polar has just a bit more blue hue.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:55 AM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I looked at a Rhodium Silver car with a GT Silver car two cars away from it sitting out in the summer sun at the Bakersfield Dealer a year or so before ordering my Rhodium Silver Carrera S. The Rhodium silver has a softer lighter look compared to the GT silver's more coarse metallic look to me. In certain overcast days my Rhodium silver will actually look like a light metallic blue.
I like the blue softer metallic look of the Rhodium silver . . . but I sure am in the minority in this group!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

was there a marketing or manufacturing problem with the Platinum Silver (PtAg) Metallic that was discontinued in 2013?
Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

My Arctic Turbo and GT Boxster.

The following users liked this post:
jesm (09-18-2022)
Old 03-05-2015, 09:56 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
My Rhodium and Polar Silver cars. They are very close but Polar has just a bit more blue hue.

love polar silver

Mercedes's diamond silver is quite close to polar silver

reminds of clear blue skies we get once in a blue moon in London
Old 03-05-2015, 11:37 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
Polar silver was the standard Porsche 911 silver offering 17-19 model years ago...most buyers did not like it because it was too " blue " ...almost identical to current Rhodium silver ...so save your PTS money and and take advantage of standard metallic paint pricing if you want a bluish silver - via rhodium.
It wont be around long, I suspect , since the blue tint in it only works with black,blue or grey interiors , excluding the higher end leather options like red ( too Superman ) , espresso or cognac/espresso which coordinate nicely with GT Silver or the previous browner Plat Silver

It is the same complaint we had back then....but the color palette folks in their marketing / sales division today were probably still in elementary school then so do not know that history obviously.
Would have to disagree.

Polar Silver was available for a long period of time (1991 ~ 2004) due to its popularity and is still on the PTS today. It was usually a premium color with a price tag so it wasn't ordered at quite the level as most other colors. It's still a very sought after color today in 993s, 928s & even 968s. In fact outside of Zermatt silver (yuck IMO) it is one of the longer lived Porsche silvers.

Agree, it wasn't for every interior color, but with the Met Blue, Linen, or Grey interiors it was a great combination.

Rhodium is actually a pretty decent color from Porsche today as most of their other silvers have been pretty dull throughout the years. Zermatt, Crystal, Arctic and others never did a thing for me. GT Silver is a good silver, but just that, another silver.

Right now I wouldn't pay anything for a non-PTS Porsche silver. I never thought I would fall for any Porsche "special" $3k color,.....but here I am with a GTS order complete with $3k Carmine Red (totally worth it to me).
Old 03-05-2015, 06:01 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
love polar silver

Mercedes's diamond silver is quite close to polar silver

reminds of clear blue skies we get once in a blue moon in London
this comment reminded me of the 25th anniversary 911 diamond blue metallic paint. a very complex and beautiful silver!
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2015, 10:53 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think this way...if you want a warm or neutral interior color you go with a cooler silver like rhodium, if you go cooler interior color go with a contrasting warmer exterior silver like the platinum. Warm interior = red , Luxor beige . Cooler interior= yachting blue.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Would have to disagree.

Polar Silver was available for a long period of time (1991 ~ 2004) due to its popularity and is still on the PTS today. It was usually a premium color with a price tag so it wasn't ordered at quite the level as most other colors. It's still a very sought after color today in 993s, 928s & even 968s. In fact outside of Zermatt silver (yuck IMO) it is one of the longer lived Porsche silvers.

Agree, it wasn't for every interior color, but with the Met Blue, Linen, or Grey interiors it was a great combination.

Rhodium is actually a pretty decent color from Porsche today as most of their other silvers have been pretty dull throughout the years. Zermatt, Crystal, Arctic and others never did a thing for me. GT Silver is a good silver, but just that, another silver.

I was mostly alluding to the time when it was not PTS, but the std $ 500-600 dollar metallic silver, esp during the 993 era . Many complained because , as I said and you state also, it only worked with black , blue or greyish interiors.

It was succeeded by Arctic Silver in the std metallic line up , which had a warm amberish tone in the late afternoon ( think North " Polar" ...like bluish ice vs " Arctic " Circle , land of warm hued frozen tundra glowing in midnight sun )

One could argue that Porsche, never shy about " wallet biopsies " of their " patients " , determined that the best way to get more to pay the $3000 for GT Silver was to make the std silver more obviuosly different ( vs Platinum Silver) ....meaning a cooler hue , more bluish.

There was a poll a few years ago , where many complained that 911 std silvers of the past two decades were either cool or warm but never in between and many wished their classic silvery " crystal silver " would be the std one.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Originally Posted by MKW
One could argue that Porsche, never shy about " wallet biopsies " of their " patients " , determined that the best way to get more to pay the $3000 for GT Silver was to make the std silver more different ....meaning cooler hue , more bluish.

When I bought my 2004 Boxster SE550, it came in GT Silver only. That was the only way to get the color at the time, other than on a Carrera GT. It was "free" on the special edition, and I loved it. But I always said, once it became an option on the 9X7 cars, "Who would actually pay an extra 3Gs for silver paint, no matter how cool of a silver it was?"

And now I'm that guy. Because the "free" silver (at only $710 it feels free, lol) is just not pleasing to my eye. Figured I may as well make sure this one is just right.

By the way, I'm fine with my current Arctic, and if it were still the standard metallic silver, I'd not be paying the extra ducats for the GT. So at least in my case you are spot on correct.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:47 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Galion
Are you sure its GT Silver? The base Carrera looks Platinum silver to me.
My immediate thought exactly. GT has nowhere near that much brown in it.

Quick Reply: GT Silver sitting by Rhodium in soft light