991 Club Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 03:05 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 991 Club Sport

Hi All-
I spent the day yesterday at the PCA Tech Tactics East event here in PA. Overall the event was very well put-together, with a number of different sessions that I personally found very interesting. Tech Tactics was held at the Porsche NA Eastern mechanics training facilities -- so there were also many interesting things to see as one walked around the garage areas, and even in the parts distribution facilities on-site. I'll post more on the Tech Tactics sessions in separate threads.

But the one I wanted to share with you now is the unveiling of the 991 Club Coupe edition. This is a very limited (60 cars) run of cars to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Porsche Club of America. It is a 991 GTS, with a number of styling bits, but the most visual distinction is the special 'club blau' paint.

The lighting was awful for taking pics with my iPhone -- sorry. The car was unveiled indoors, in one of the training areas with very high ceilings and sunlight flooding from one section of the room on one side of the car.

I've posted more pics and other comments/observations in my blog post: PCA Club Coupe Edition 991

Also note: some of you may already know this, but PCNA is going to give away 1 of the 60 Club Coupe cars to a lucky member of PCA... This isn't a raffle, or a chance to buy the car -- this is a give-away! You don't have to buy an entry or anything! Simply make sure that your PCA membership is paid and active, and you are automatically entered to win! Good Luck!!!

Last edited by plenum; 03-01-2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Correct Sport to Coupe
Old 03-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,547 Likes on 2,311 Posts

STUNNING
Old 03-01-2015, 03:26 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 232 Likes on 124 Posts

LOL, yesterday I got an email from PCA that had as a subject line "Congratulations" I about crapped my pants. Opened it and it said you've been a member of PCA for 10 years. Thanks for renewing again. Enjoy your membership.

In that brief three second space between seeing the subject line and reading the actual email, I had already sold the ugly blue PCA car and used the proceeds to pay for my own beautiful GT Silver GTS build.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:27 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Thanks for sharing. Like the color!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,547 Likes on 2,311 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
LOL, yesterday I got an email from PCA that had as a subject line "Congratulations" I about crapped my pants. Opened it and it said you've been a member of PCA for 10 years. Thanks for renewing again. Enjoy your membership.

In that brief three second space between seeing the subject line and reading the actual email, I had already sold the ugly blue PCA car and used the proceeds to pay for my own beautiful GT Silver GTS build.
not too mention a clean pair of grundies...
Old 03-01-2015, 03:52 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That colour looks edible... Mmmm
Old 03-01-2015, 04:03 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Not my favorite blue by Porsche (love Lapis blue metallic) but I'd take it! Any styling accents on the inside? Love the Fuchs too. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Club COUPE. not SPORT. lol
Old 03-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I like it!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:35 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Not my favorite blue by Porsche (love Lapis blue metallic) but I'd take it! Any styling accents on the inside? Love the Fuchs too. Thanks for posting.
Thanks- the only styling accent I noticed on the interior was a red centering stripe on the steering wheel. Other than that didn't see anything worth pointing to.... I looked when they had the doors open and quite honestly wasn't excited to see basically a standard GTS interior. The stitching was deviated in red. What I didn't notice (until someone pointed-out) is that in the Club Coupe there is also the number "60" embossed on the center console lid, a small plaque on the trim where the cup holders are, and I think there is a deviating color in one of the dash pods.... But I seriously didn't notice when I was looking around inside. The big red stripe on the steering wheel was the only thing my eyes went-to!

The wheels are off the 50th edition.

Last edited by plenum; 03-02-2015 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Added some details
Old 03-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 663 Likes on 304 Posts

Beautiful photos!!!
Old 03-02-2015, 01:36 AM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Club coupe is gorgeous. Makes me want to order a GTS w/o center locks and retrofit with those Fuchs.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:31 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

in photos, look a lot like the Nogaro Blue Audi offered 10 yrs ago ..someone should check the paint code...manufacturers are all notorious for using corporate colors across all their brands , just renaming them for each division, even when press releases say it is a unique color " never used before by Porsche " . Every color offered must pass stringent long term fade testing , which would be expensive for a run of just 60 vehicles if it were a true " never used by anyone anywhere " color.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:47 AM
waizone
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Good catch MKW. Remember that Audi color well. BTW, nice dog. German short hair?
Old 03-02-2015, 11:55 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MKW
in photos, look a lot like the Nogaro Blue Audi offered 10 yrs ago ..someone should check the paint code...manufacturers are all notorious for using corporate colors across all their brands , just renaming them for each division, even when press releases say it is a unique color " never used before by Porsche " . Every color offered must pass stringent long term fade testing , which would be expensive for a run of just 60 vehicles if it were a true " never used by anyone anywhere " color.
I really wouldn't be surprised if that were the case. I seem to recall seeing very similar colors on other makes like VW and BMW. Look at the PCA 50th Club Coupe -- The exterior color was called 'Azurro California' and was an interpretation of a color called 'Azure Blue'. Here's what the 50th version looked like back in 2005....

Following tradition, and described during the introduction presentation, it was noted that PAG did start with a standard color for the 60th as well (I think it was 'Albert Blue'?) and when the selection narrowed to a particular choice, it was lowered by 3 hues / shades to arrive at the unique color that is formally named 'club blau'. PCA was trying to steer towards a blue that is representative of the PCA organization / logo. As for the name -- in my notes I quoted from the presentation that PCA wanted the color to be called 'PCA Blue' but PAG policy is that colors can not be the name of any other organization....

And you are correct about the weathering / testing. It takes more than 12 months to test on all possible painted parts. The cost to do so is hardly justified for just 60 cars -- but what I heard them say is that this color will become PTS available in the future.... so they expect to recoup their costs.

Quick Reply: 991 Club Sport