Sponsored by:

Garage question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Garage question

As my number of cars has expanded, my garage situation has become inadequate. Have any of you had a new garage built? If so, any clues on what you'd need to sped to convert an existing two car garage into four? Or alternatively build a second two car garage. I know it's a very vague question but I am at early stages of considering this.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:40 AM
DallasDave
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Car lifts are the most practical and easiest solution, if you have the overhead space.

Good luck,

Dave in Dallas
Old 02-08-2015, 12:06 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
As my number of cars has expanded, my garage situation has become inadequate. Have any of you had a new garage built? If so, any clues on what you'd need to sped to convert an existing two car garage into four? Or alternatively build a second two car garage. I know it's a very vague question but I am at early stages of considering this.
I would imagine it varies on where you live, size and materials used. I had a stick built 28x22 stand alone garage built about 6 years ago. Between permits, electric and architectural drawings. It cost roughly $34,000. That was my second home in a rural area.
That same garage built in a suburban area like Westchester NY might cost 4 times as much. Without taking into account driveway materials such as blacktop or paving. Some areas have become very difficult in regards to permitting through planing and zoning boards. You have to conform to the demographics of the area in which you live. Over the years these towns have added various bureaucratic positions to there payrolls. In justifying there salaries the processes have become much more difficult to attain a permit. All this amounts to longer waiting periods and added expense. It's Cronyism at its best.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:56 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I added this garage onto my house about 6 years ago. No doubt material and labor have gone up since and depends on where you live. This new garage addition was 19' wide and 40' deep so I can put 4 vehicles in it. Cost me $65K and it's all brick on exterior to match existing house, insulated and sheet rocked/painted. I also had them extend my deck on the back side and I have a door in garage so I can access that deck too. A bunch of concrete was poured on this plus I had them had a storage unit surrounded by concrete under this new garage on the lake side, you can see it in one pic I attached. I have a walk out basement so what you see from the street is the upstairs part of my house.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:06 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Car lifts are the most practical and easiest solution, if you have the overhead space.

Good luck,

Dave in Dallas
A four post lift or two would be the most economical. I have one and the advantages include convenience when working under a car. The disadvantage is that it takes more moving around effort to get the car on or off the lift compared to just pulling in or out from an added garage bay.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:06 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
... any clues on what you'd need to sped ... I know it's a very vague question but I am at early stages of considering this.
A vague answer to your vague question is roughly $50 - $100 per square foot depending upon your acumen with respect to contractors, local trade rates, climate, height, level of finish, etc. If you live in a mild climate you can spend less on heating and insulation. If it's a 'show' garage you may spend a lot on finish materials and depending upon intended use, interior accoutrements.

My behind-the-house toy box is 8 years in the making and I'll be pushing $100/ft by the time it is done.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:00 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 65 Posts

Grandlaker: That's quite a chimney you've got for your bird house/feeder! Hope the birds carry up their own firewood. Plus, it looks like you've given them a great lake view. They should be paying serious rent!
Old 02-10-2015, 03:44 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SDaddy
A four post lift or two would be the most economical. I have one and the advantages include convenience when working under a car. The disadvantage is that it takes more moving around effort to get the car on or off the lift compared to just pulling in or out from an added garage bay.
On my current garage I had the roof removed, new low-profile trusses designed and re-roofed so I could put two four-post lifts in (and enjoy 13.5 foot ceilings). The roof change was about $10-$15k from demolition to shingles and eavestroughs. In total the job was about $40k because I put in a new pad, drywalled and painted, added better lighting, wired for 220v, new man door etc. Fact is what my wife originally felt was a colossal waste of money she now agrees looks awesome and is a super use of space. She does require me to leave a car for her on the ground - she isn't going that far.

I hear what SDaddy is saying, but I had a tandem double at my previous house and the inconvenience of backing a car out and taking the other off the lift = backing a car out and removing the tandem one it was blocking. Being able to work under a car while sitting or standing = priceless!
Old 02-11-2015, 08:02 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Garages...

Think for some reason building a separate garage will always be less expensive.
I've got some stupid restrictions since have a HOA & live on a golf course....so built a 30'x24' almost "L" shaped two story brick garage a few years back.
It was about $35k.
Seem to remember trying to extend my exisiting attached garage of about 35' long would be almost double.
Also, I've found 10' ceilings work fine with lifts...anything higher seems to start to cost more.
I couldn't do it here, but there are prefabed steel buildings & think you can get like a 50'x100' for under $20k.
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2015, 12:23 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Was in a similar situation last year. Lost two of the four garage spaces on the first level of our home after building a mother-in-law apt. Searched around and purchased a fixer upper 50x60 building one mile from the house. Erected a divider wall, rented out half the space and now have a free garage. Installed a 4-post lift and have ample room for the toys and some extra storage space. Let a few friends use the lift and they bring free beer ! It's turned out to be a fun place to hangout and a good investment.02 T
Attached Images   
Old 02-11-2015, 05:32 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 429 Posts

^^^^^^^ this is awesome.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:18 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just added about 750 sf to my garage. We have huge snow loads, so the cost would not be comparable - but budgeting $100/sf should be fine for most areas.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:37 AM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I built this detached garage a few years ago. It matches the hou

se perfectly and gave me a four car garage. I made the driveway twice as wide as well.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:40 AM
chrisk1200
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it looks original to the house
Old 02-12-2015, 11:40 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisk1200
I built this detached garage a few years ago. It matches the hou se perfectly and gave me a four car garage. I made the driveway twice as wide as well.
Wow. Nice job. Perfect match and complimenting.

Nice Mid Century Modern house.

Quick Reply: Garage question