Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Brakes on 991 S ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015 | 09:29 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Default Turbo Brakes on 991 S ?

Looking to upgrade brakes on my 991 Carrera S. Will the 380mm brakes on the turbo fit a 991 S?
Old 02-06-2015 | 10:01 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by KBS911
Looking to upgrade brakes on my 991 Carrera S. Will the 380mm brakes on the turbo fit a 991 S?
Yes. There's a friend over on 6Speed that put a set of Turbo steel rotors and calipers on his 4S.

Would the S be the same as a 4S? Assume so?

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4222856

Last edited by STG; 02-06-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2015 | 01:26 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

I'm curious - are you looking to upgrade the brakes for styling reasons or do you find yourself running out of brakes on track events, etc? If the latter, there are less costly ways to improve your braking performance.
Old 02-06-2015 | 03:06 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
I'm curious - are you looking to upgrade the brakes for styling reasons or do you find yourself running out of brakes on track events, etc? If the latter, there are less costly ways to improve your braking performance.
Track events. Original rotors have only 1-2 more events in them. Not running out of brakes. I use Pagid yellows and SRF fluid. Works very well, but if I am going to change rotors I would like improvement if possible. Have checked out Girodisc and Brembo rotors but they are pricey. 38mm turbo OEM Porsche rotors are about 400 less than girodisc.
Old 02-06-2015 | 03:13 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBS911
Track events. Original rotors have only 1-2 more events in them. Not running out of brakes. I use Pagid yellows and SRF fluid. Works very well, but if I am going to change rotors I would like improvement if possible. Have checked out Girodisc and Brembo rotors but they are pricey. 38mm turbo OEM Porsche rotors are about 400 less than girodisc.
Yes, pads and rotors are def wear items, the price we pay to play on the track. Are you still running street tires or have you moved to R-Compounds? You won't believe how fast the car can stop on a set of warmed-up R-Compounds if you are still running streets....Sounds like you have the pads and fluid up to speed ....
Old 02-06-2015 | 04:06 PM
morrial
AutoX

I've got about 70 track days on my 991c4s. Originally, I ran stock rotors and pads.

My first upgrade was to move from stock pads to Pagid R29s. The Pagids made a huge difference as my stock pads literally would melt during heavy track work. I really like the modulation and stopping ability of these pads particularly in light of the great longevity I've experienced.

After moving to Pagids, I found I would crack through the stock rotors after 5 to 6 track days. After looking around, I decided to replace the stock rotors with GiroDiscs. Like you I was initially dismayed by the price, but my local shop was able to put together a good deal for me. After going through two sets of rings(no need to replace the hats), I can say without a doubt it was the right decision. Much better wear and significantly improved breaking. The Giros were able to handle heat much better than stock cross drilled. In the end, the cost of Giros were cheaper particularly if you are planning on doing a large number of tracks days.

I'm going to assume that you're not planning on swapping out the calipers - which I've found to be fantastic (no break pad taper etc.). As a side note: you might want to keep an eye on the brake pad springs. I had to replace both the right and left rear springs which somehow got "twisted".
The following users liked this post:
fester (01-03-2020)
Old 02-06-2015 | 07:21 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by morrial
I've got about 70 track days on my 991c4s. Originally, I ran stock rotors and pads.

My first upgrade was to move from stock pads to Pagid R29s. The Pagids made a huge difference as my stock pads literally would melt during heavy track work. I really like the modulation and stopping ability of these pads particularly in light of the great longevity I've experienced.

After moving to Pagids, I found I would crack through the stock rotors after 5 to 6 track days. After looking around, I decided to replace the stock rotors with GiroDiscs. Like you I was initially dismayed by the price, but my local shop was able to put together a good deal for me. After going through two sets of rings(no need to replace the hats), I can say without a doubt it was the right decision. Much better wear and significantly improved breaking. The Giros were able to handle heat much better than stock cross drilled. In the end, the cost of Giros were cheaper particularly if you are planning on doing a large number of tracks days.

I'm going to assume that you're not planning on swapping out the calipers - which I've found to be fantastic (no break pad taper etc.). As a side note: you might want to keep an eye on the brake pad springs. I had to replace both the right and left rear springs which somehow got "twisted".
Thanks for the input. Yes, I will keep stock calipers. You are right, Pagids really make a difference. I recognize that rotors are a replacement item, and was leaning towards the girodisc. Nice to hear a firsthand review. Did you go with front and rear rotors?
Old 02-06-2015 | 07:26 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Yes, pads and rotors are def wear items, the price we pay to play on the track. Are you still running street tires or have you moved to R-Compounds? You won't believe how fast the car can stop on a set of warmed-up R-Compounds if you are still running streets....Sounds like you have the pads and fluid up to speed ....
Using Yokohama AD08R's on 19" BBS wheels for the track. Very predictable tire. Lots of feedback. May go more aggressive later but works well for track days and autoX.
Old 02-07-2015 | 09:57 AM
morrial
AutoX

I did upgrade both front and rear rotors. Not sure it would be prudent to do only one end at a time.

Quick Reply: Turbo Brakes on 991 S ?