Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AGATE GREY MANUAL 991 GTS COUPE IN STOCK!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 07:48 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,362 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
Like it with the Classics much better than with the silver Carrera S rims . . .
+1 I'm not a fan of the S wheels...
Old 02-09-2015, 08:17 PM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
According to the Porsche configurator, you do get the same size tires on the optional 5 lug black wheels.
Yeah, but according to the Configurator, GT Silver Metallic looks like Geyser Grey Eggshell. Which I would love! If Porsche is going to depict their Config colors as looking all low-sheen and non-metallic, because they realize how cool and desirable that is, why don't they just PAINT THE CARS those colors???

Ooops, got off track a little. Yeah, I had seen the configurator claiming the tires were 305s regardless of wheel, but also know that the lug wheels are 1/2" narrower, and that you can't trust what a car builder puts on their website, so I was hoping somebody who has one in their showroom or in their garage could confirm that 5 lugs are 305s. Are you pretty sure you saw them that way when you were in the showroom? All of the GTSs I've seen have been CLs.

Thanks,
Old 02-10-2015, 09:16 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
Yeah, but according to the Configurator, GT Silver Metallic looks like Geyser Grey Eggshell. Which I would love! If Porsche is going to depict their Config colors as looking all low-sheen and non-metallic, because they realize how cool and desirable that is, why don't they just PAINT THE CARS those colors???

Ooops, got off track a little. Yeah, I had seen the configurator claiming the tires were 305s regardless of wheel, but also know that the lug wheels are 1/2" narrower, and that you can't trust what a car builder puts on their website, so I was hoping somebody who has one in their showroom or in their garage could confirm that 5 lugs are 305s. Are you pretty sure you saw them that way when you were in the showroom? All of the GTSs I've seen have been CLs.

Thanks,
Yep, pretty sure on the tire size on the 5 lugs I saw. If you search the GTS threads on here, I think you will find a guy that took delivery of a GTS early in January that I am pretty sure had the 5 lug wheels. His car was the metallic white with black interior. If you find the post, PM him and ask him.

I searched for you. Looks like jmartaustin has one with 5 lug wheels. PM him.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8495...gts-yet-2.html

Last edited by GSIRM3; 02-10-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:09 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 126 Posts

Thanks GSIRM3. In the meantime, I've flopped back to deciding on CLs for my order (this Saturday when I get back in town! Woo Hoo!)

CL Pros:
Love the look of the actual wheel, also love the look of the centerlock portion.
It is the "definitive" wheel for the 991 GTS, and its absence sorta renders the GTS bit a little more stealth.
Will want the CLs when resale time comes.

CL Cons:
DONT like all-black wheels. Even with a polished barrel I like them a lot better, but truth be told I'm not a black wheel guy.
There's absolutely NO mechanical advantage to me of having CLs, and the obvious disadvantage of having to invest considerable funds into a torque-wrench and breaker bar to remove wheels.

Resolution: This will not be a tracked Porsche (other tools better suit that purpose.) So how often will I take the wheels off? I've had my current Turbo for 2 years and haven't taken them off yet.
If I don't bond with the blackness of the CL look, options include painting the whole wheel, painting the barrels, swapping them for a set of HRE CLs. It's not the end of the world.
If I decide I can't live with the CLs in the future, options include trading the GTS, or spending the money to convert them. Yes, spendy, but again, not the end of the world.

So I'm flopped back to the CL side.

For now.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:38 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks GSIRM3. In the meantime, I've flopped back to deciding on CLs for my order (this Saturday when I get back in town! Woo Hoo!)

CL Pros:
Love the look of the actual wheel, also love the look of the centerlock portion.
It is the "definitive" wheel for the 991 GTS, and its absence sorta renders the GTS bit a little more stealth.
Will want the CLs when resale time comes.

CL Cons:
DONT like all-black wheels. Even with a polished barrel I like them a lot better, but truth be told I'm not a black wheel guy.
There's absolutely NO mechanical advantage to me of having CLs, and the obvious disadvantage of having to invest considerable funds into a torque-wrench and breaker bar to remove wheels.

Resolution: This will not be a tracked Porsche (other tools better suit that purpose.) So how often will I take the wheels off? I've had my current Turbo for 2 years and haven't taken them off yet.
If I don't bond with the blackness of the CL look, options include painting the whole wheel, painting the barrels, swapping them for a set of HRE CLs. It's not the end of the world.
If I decide I can't live with the CLs in the future, options include trading the GTS, or spending the money to convert them. Yes, spendy, but again, not the end of the world.

For now.
I think you made a good decision on the CL wheels. I had them on my previous 997 GTS for 3.5 years and never had any issue with them. Like you, I didn't track the car, so frequent wheel changing was not an issue for me. My dealer matches Tirerack prices, so I go to them for tire work. No problems for me, and I agree, the CL's are part of the GTS. Now, if I tracked routinely and needed to do frequent tire wheel changes, I might look at it differently.

I am usually not a huge fan of all black wheels either, but I think it is just part of the GTS, and looks very nice on a GTS. I am partial to a white GTS since that is what I have (my 997 GTS was white also), but I think the black wheels really look good with a contrasting body color.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:09 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

For now.

This whole GTS wheel thing pisses a lot of us GTS owners off. I just can't figure why the 911 is the only GTS model with a limited wheel selection.

With that little rant, I think your conclusion is right on. I do think that black wheels work best with colors like carmine, sapphire and the whites and silvers. But I decided to give them a chance on my DBM, and I'm now glad I did.

As a quick aside, I bought my first 911 off the lot 15 years ago. It was silver over black - with red seatbelts. RED seatbelts!! Who would order a 911 with those?? Well, it was '99 and dealers would do anything to move a unit off the lot. So as part of my deal negotiation, I required them to switch out the red belts for normal, black ones. Of course I almost immediately regretted not give myself time to grow into the style. My more fashion-forward friends thought I was crazy in '99 and those same friends love the black wheels on the GTS.

So fast forward to today . . . Due to weather, my GTS has not made its way out of my dealership since it arrived over a month ago (and it's now looking like the snow won't stop falling in Boston for another six months). But I looked at the car again this weekend while I was there for a Club event, and to my surprise, I think I've already gotten there with the black CLs. The car's very aggressive looking with them and it screams "GTS". Also, the more I see GTSes with those very standard looking 5-spokes, the more I'm glad I made the choice I did.

Nothing's ever final, but I think I've made the leap to acceptance.

Last edited by hinckley; 02-10-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:35 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hinckley
This whole GTS wheel thing pisses a lot of us GTS owners off. I just can't figure why the 911 is the only GTS model with a limited wheel selection.

With that little rant, I think your conclusion is right on. I do think that black wheels work best with colors like carmine, sapphire and the whites and silvers. But I decided to give them a chance on my DBM, and I'm now glad I did.

As a quick aside, I bought my first 911 off the lot 15 years ago. It was silver over black - with red seatbelts. RED seatbelts!! Who would order a 911 with those?? Well, it was '99 and dealers would do anything to move a unit off the lot. So as part of my deal negotiation, I required them to switch out the red belts for normal, black ones. Of course I almost immediately regretted not give myself time to grow into the style. My more fashion-forward friends thought I was crazy in '99 and those same friends love the black wheels on the GTS.

So fast forward to today . . . Due to weather, my GTS has not made its way out of my dealership since it arrived over a month ago (and it's now looking like the snow won't stop falling in Boston for another six months). But I looked at the car again this weekend while I was there for a Club event, and to my surprise, I think I've already gotten there with the black CLs. The car's very aggressive looking with them and it screams "GTS". Also, the more I see GTSes with those very standard looking 5-spokes, the more I'm glad I made the choice I did.

Nothing's ever final, but I think I've made the leap to acceptance

good man! - should have ordered the snow-plough option for the GTS!
Old 02-13-2015, 04:23 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 238 Posts

Is Sonnen Porsche in the U.S.?
Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
Is Sonnen Porsche in the U.S.?
google is your friend. Marin, Ca.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:40 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
google is your friend. Marin, Ca.
Not always Larry .,.

http://www.dailydot.com/politics/goo...g-ruined-life/
Old 02-13-2015, 04:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
So you think searching for Sonnen Porsche on Google counts as a potential act of international terrorism?

What then if one were to order a "GTS Cabriolet" from Brett "Axis of Evil" Payne?

should we be discussing this on the "dark web" version of RL?
Old 02-13-2015, 04:50 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
So you think searching for Sonnen Porsche on Google counts as a potential act of international terrorism? What then if one were to order a "GTS Cabriolet" from Brett "Axis of Evil" Payne? should we be discussing this on the "dark web" version of RL?
I guess Google isn't bad for Chuck. Where else would he get all his "busty women of the month" pics from?

He'd have to start subscribing to magazines again.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG991
I guess Google isn't bad for Chuck. Where else would he get all his "busty women of the month" pics from?

He'd have to start subscribing to magazines again.
What else is the internet good for except finding images of scantily clad dominatrix?
Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pass....
Old 02-13-2015, 07:58 PM
Sonnen Porsche
Former Vendor

Received 104 Likes on 29 Posts

Still available guys!

Quick Reply: AGATE GREY MANUAL 991 GTS COUPE IN STOCK!