Sponsored by:

My GTS order (please advice)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 02:07 AM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
You're gonna eat about $7,000 out of the $8,000 you spend on those brakes at time of trade-in or resale...I think they're totally unnecessary (especially with black wheels that hide dust anyways). Stock steel brakes are fantastic and good enough for the CUP.

PDCC makes the 991 feel even more artificial than it already does alongside this car's electric power steering so I'd skip that too. If your goal is to skim an extra 3 seconds off your Nurburgring time it might be worth keeping it.

The base audio system is pretty poor and I'm not an audiophile by any means. The BOSE isn't great but at least it sounds what I'll call "acceptable" in a car at this price. I know I would personally pass on any car without Bose or Burmeister that doesn't have a GT3 emblem on the back.

I would skip the front parking assist as well. Extra cost + the ugly sensors on the front end of your car. Do you really need help to see what's in front of you in a car this small?
Agree with most everything above but did not realize electric power steering could be skipped ? T
Old 12-21-2014, 08:38 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
You're gonna eat about $7,000 out of the $8,000 you spend on those brakes at time of trade-in or resale...I think they're totally unnecessary (especially with black wheels that hide dust anyways). Stock steel brakes are fantastic and good enough for the CUP.

PDCC makes the 991 feel even more artificial than it already does alongside this car's electric power steering so I'd skip that too. If your goal is to skim an extra 3 seconds off your Nurburgring time it might be worth keeping it.

The base audio system is pretty poor and I'm not an audiophile by any means. The BOSE isn't great but at least it sounds what I'll call "acceptable" in a car at this price. I know I would personally pass on any car without Bose or Burmeister that doesn't have a GT3 emblem on the back.

I would skip the front parking assist as well. Extra cost + the ugly sensors on the front end of your car. Do you really need help to see what's in front of you in a car this small?
Originally Posted by 77tony
Agree with most everything above but did not realize electric power steering could be skipped ? T
Electric power steering can not be skipped or eliminated.

I believe you misread the statement above. It should read like this...

"PDCC makes the 991 feel even more artificial than it already does alongside this car's electric power steering, so I'd skip that [the PDCC] too."
Old 12-21-2014, 08:50 AM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your build is very close to mine except for what's already been advised, i.e. skip Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) and Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) and add the Bose stereo. As several other threads indicate, I'm on the fence about PASM Sport Suspension due to clearance concerns
Old 12-21-2014, 12:33 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
Thanks for the terrific feedback. I have been debating the CCB, PDDC, and seats for weeks now. Keep changing my mind. But your points are priceless.

Unfortunately, I'm an idiot. I love toys--CCB while offer no benefit on the street and probably on the track, have a "cool" factor in my head. From what I've heard about the PDDC, while it makes the car feel more artificial, I've read that it good for bumpy roads...I live in Pittsburgh; we don't have potholes, we have craters. Is this true?

I rarely listen to the radio, so spending $2K on a mediocre system to listen to the radio, doesn't sit well on my palate.
I have no idea about the bumpy roads benefit to PDCC. Milwaukee's roads suck too and I have SPASM without PDCC. Haven't had any problems yet.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:49 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 263 Posts

Now removing the CCB and the PDDC and adding GTS Interior package. I think this might be better in the re-sale department....
Old 12-22-2014, 03:53 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Now removing the CCB and the PDDC and adding GTS Interior package. I think this might be better in the re-sale department....
Good call. Those two options you're giving away for free to the next guy pretty much. If you can do without them, good call.

Adding Bose?
Old 12-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

I say go for the PCCB if you really want it. Since it has the cool factor for you, and you're ordering YOUR car for yourself (not for the next owner, if there ever will be one), then get it. Isn't that the point of ordering your car in the first place? If you just wanted a car with high resale value, then buy one off the lot because that's how dealers spec theirs. I do agree with ordering at least Bose so that you won't have lose value in your resale if you need to. But if end up losing the $6-7k on resale for the PCCB, at least you enjoyed the hell outta it. Just my two cents.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:22 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
I say go for the PCCB if you really want it. Since it has the cool factor for you, and you're ordering YOUR car for yourself (not for the next owner, if there ever will be one), then get it. Isn't that the point of ordering your car in the first place? If you just wanted a car with high resale value, then buy one off the lot because that's how dealers spec theirs. I do agree with ordering at least Bose so that you won't have lose value in your resale if you need to. But if end up losing the $6-7k on resale for the PCCB, at least you enjoyed the hell outta it. Just my two cents.
The advice is a little contradicting.

The brakes are nice. Don't get me wrong. If it's worth it to not get brake dust and pad changes go for it. I was just making the point that it's pretty much a 100% depreciation add on.

The Bose is only a 1% depreciation add on considering the ease of selling the car down the line.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

I agree with you on the brake dust and PCCB.

The point I was making above was Having a stock sound system on a 911 may actually disproportionally decrease it's resale value since most people buying a $100k+ car would expect a decent system as standard. Ymmv
Old 12-22-2014, 04:53 PM
cliffd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default a couple more...

suggest the sport exhaust and sport chrono
Old 12-22-2014, 05:08 PM
addysdaddy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello guys;

So this is it (for now):
Coupe GTS
GT Silver
Manual
20" 911 Turbo S Wheels
Leather Interior in Black with Alcantara
Smoking Package
Sport Seats Plus (4-way)
ParkAssist (Front and Rear)
LED Headlights in Black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC) incl. PASM Sport Suspension
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB)

Missing something? Cheers
Lose the Alcantara - it's a nightmare to maintain & and doesn't wear well
14 or 18 way seats but go to the dealer to make certain - need to actually sit in the different seat options
Agree wtih the OP, lose the Ceramics - completely unnecessary
Old 12-22-2014, 05:08 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
Skip the ceramics and go for the center locks. Yeah they're higher maintenance or whatever, but they look epic and you'll have an 8 grand budget for wheel attendants
He is getting the CL wheels (20" 911 Turbo S Wheels).
Old 12-22-2014, 06:50 PM
mrsmitty
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffd
suggest the sport exhaust and sport chrono
Those are standard on the GTS.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:05 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 329 Likes on 218 Posts

When buying any Porsche product you really have to step back and be true to yourself. There are many people who will check every box in Porsche's "performance" section of the configurator just because they think they need it or it nets a few seconds on an 8 minute track run,....which they will never go on. Most of the performance items other than PDK are pretty debatable on the street for sure.

Steel brakes stop just as well as ceramics, and I have never heard of anyone overheating them on the street even with "spirited" driving,.....track is where they would be of a bit more benefit. If they were $4k I'd really think about them for the weight savings and dust reduction, but at $8k they are way overpriced for anything but track usage IMO.

PDCC unlinks the anit-roll bars when driving straight,...which does impart a bit more comfort over rough roads, but to me the extra weight (pump, actuators, etc.) and the artificial driving aspect it imparts makes me not want it for the street. Makes a decent difference on a 4K lb Cayenne, but not so much on an already stellar 911 chassis, let alone a GTS.

Paint color is so subjective, but there is truly nothing special about GT Silver other then it is just another silver, there is no special "unobtainium" in it, it is just another mix of silver with a bit more grey mixed in. A pint of repair paint for GT Silver is the same price as any other color. If you like it get it, but 99 out of 100 people will just see it as another silver, most dealers won't care much about it on resale either.

Now having said all the above, on my 991S and soon to be GTS I ordered Burmester Audio and will order Carmine Red for the GTS paint choice. Why?....I use Burmester every single day to its fullest, it is that good. It makes any drive in a 991 simply that much more awesome to me. Same for Carmine Red, such an awesome & bold color, suits the GTS so well. PDCC & PCCB may have a "cool" factor, but if you really don't use them, why bother spending that much money on them.

It is a big purchase, and you should get what you want, but for every option take a sensible approach to it.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:15 PM
DPC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I ordered my first porsche I got a 2013 Boxster S and unfortunately thought I knew what I wanted (first porsche). After several months I realized I had not thought out my purchase very well…..
Second time I traded it in for a 911 and added the sport chrono and changed seats from the basic 4 with sport bolsters ( I'm thin and 5'8" and I rubbed them every time I got in) to the all leather 14 way which I'm very happy with. They come with the electric thigh supports and look better without the sport supports.
Next time….I'm getting a 4 or 4S and rear wiper which I wish I had gotten.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: My GTS order (please advice)