Sponsored by:

Anti Vandalism In Car Camera

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 02:26 AM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Anti Vandalism In Car Camera

Does anyone know of a decent anti vandalism in car camera dvr system?

Looking for a reliable motion detecting system that runs on its own power.

I teach high school & unfortunately it takes only 1 idiot to ruin ones day.

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:37 AM
RichardC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of dashcams have motion sensors for parking mode and can be hardwired. There are 2 channel and 4 channel cameras you can look at depending on your need.

Richard
Old 12-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,589 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelrosario

Thanks for any input.
wish I had one of these in my X5 ... I have scratches down the whole of one side, the hood, and 1/2 the other side also ... going to cost a lot to repair before I hand it back to BMW.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:47 PM
CAPTAIN 911
Instructor

Blackvue
Old 12-11-2014, 05:49 PM
CAPTAIN 911
Instructor

Blackvue is what you need
Old 12-11-2014, 05:50 PM
991TurboS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a beater daily driver. I don't think I could handle the stress of using my 911 as a daily driver!
Old 12-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Vic and Ray
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for any input.
I'd be worried that any visible in car electronics (cell phone, radar detector, camera, etc.) is asking for a smash and grab theft.....
Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 129 Posts

Sorry to hear.

Narbonne? Banning?

That's what Prius's are for. Don't drive the Carrera. Like you said it'll only take one time to ruin your day.

I remember my vice principal in high school drove a 67 Mercury. That's 25 years ago when it wasn't cool. We thought he was broke. Heard a while back when he passed away, he left over a million to a single charity. Who knows. He probably had a 67 Vette at home but never drove it.

Don't take that chance. Especially in a school parking lot.
Old 12-14-2014, 01:25 AM
cdelrosario
Racer

After some thought, I went ahead and purchased the BlackVue 500 Hd. Because I have the Cab, I can only go with one camera, in the front. While this certainly will not prevent vandalism, I can, hopefully find any low lifes who threaten Lucy.

I certainly understand the advice of driving a "beater", but life is too short not to drive a Porsche sitting in your garage. I love driving this car. Knowing I get to drive her in the morning makes me happy. Just starting her up and hearing the initial roar is simply exciting.

In the end, I simply cannot allow outside influences prevent me from enjoying an incredibly awesome car. I have to accept I need to be more diligent in keeping my car safe.

Another thought is getting entire car wrapped which would seem to make "keying" the car less damaging.

Anyway, thanks for the input, particularly to Captain 911 for introducing Blackvue. Will keep all apprised!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:46 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

After some thought, I went ahead and purchased the BlackVue 500 Hd. Because I have the Cab, I can only go with one camera, in the front. While this certainly will not prevent vandalism, I can, hopefully find any low lifes who threaten Lucy.

I certainly understand the advice of driving a "beater", but life is too short not to drive a Porsche sitting in your garage. I love driving this car. Knowing I get to drive her in the morning makes me happy. Just starting her up and hearing the initial roar is simply exciting.

In the end, I simply cannot allow outside influences prevent me from enjoying an incredibly awesome car. I have to accept I need to be more diligent in keeping my car safe.

Another thought is getting entire car wrapped which would seem to make "keying" the car less damaging.

Anyway, thanks for the input, particularly to Captain 911 for introducing Blackvue. Will keep all apprised!
+1 to BlackVue

+911 to daily driving a 911. Even if you are forever, life is too short.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:04 AM
cdelrosario
Racer

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
+1 to BlackVue

+911 to daily driving a 911. Even if you are forever, life is too short.
haha I like that...

Having to drive my wife's Toyota to work after driving my Lucy every day just made me realize how much I love this car...
Old 12-14-2014, 07:59 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

post some pics when you have it installed in your cab, may pick one up for xmas. reviews were mixed on the playback speed, interested in your opinion.

it must be great to get into your car and speed away after teaching high schoolers every day......a real endorphin rush
Old 12-14-2014, 02:31 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

Originally Posted by trysixty
post some pics when you have it installed in your cab, may pick one up for xmas. reviews were mixed on the playback speed, interested in your opinion.

it must be great to get into your car and speed away after teaching high schoolers every day......a real endorphin rush
Will do! I ordered through Amazon. 16gig for less than $300. Will most likely find a high end shop for the hard wire job.

Most students really admire Lucy. They give many compliments & take pics. I made the decision that I would drop the top EVERY chance I get...which in LA is most days!
Old 12-15-2014, 01:47 PM
gusp
Instructor

Also interested in your feedback after you get it installed.... and pics!

It looks like even though there is a Blackvue iphone/android app, it does not notify you if it's triggered while in parking mode.

Does anyone know of a solution that will notify you in real time, so you can catch/stop a vandal in the act?? Would also help with a hit and run, unexpected towing, someone posing on your car.... (one time saw a lambo parked valet and a drunk girl passing by stopped to pose on the hood, literally).

Quick Reply: Anti Vandalism In Car Camera