Sponsored by:

My First Flat

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 12:56 AM
cdelrosario
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My First Flat

Hi all, after a 2 hour shopping spree, returned to Lucy & found she had a Right Rear flat! Rats! Called AAA & decided to have car towed home as it was 6 pm.

I could see the screw that caused the flat. As I was waiting for flat bed, I decided I would try the compressor so rim wouldnt be damaged when being pulled.

First off, if you haven't seen the compressor, it seems kind of chintzy, but. i have to say, it worked pretty well! Inflated tire in about 10 minutes, but it did it.

When I got Lucy into garage, I decided to attempt a plug job so I wouldnt require another toe...all I can say is I was simply unable to get a good angle in trying to force plug in. I know There is no way I would be able to plug the rear tire in the wild.

So With only about 4-32nd left on the rears (11.5k miles) I decided to get 2 new Pzeros...called Americas Tire ... 6 month wait! What? Ridiculous.

Called Tire Rack, new tires due this Friday. $840 hit.

911's + flat tires = major hassle...but I did learn about what I can & cant do when a flat occurs.
Old 12-11-2014, 01:23 AM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

why didn't you call Porsche Road Assistance?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:09 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Big can of fix a flat should work in a pinch. I'd get a pro to handle it most of the time as well, but sometimes it's better to foam it up and drive on versus sitting by the side of the road for hours in places you wish you weren't.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:29 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelrosario
When I got Lucy into garage, I decided to attempt a plug job so I wouldnt require another toe...all I can say is I was simply unable to get a good angle in trying to force plug in. I know There is no way I would be able to plug the rear tire in the wild.
Did you use the round rasp/file to clean out and enlarge the entry hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 12-11-2014, 12:35 PM
77tony
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Did you use the round rasp/file to clean out and enlarge the entry hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
That's a very personal question T
Old 12-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I read this as my first Fiat. Was expecting pics of an abarth.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
me2 ... or a 458!
Old 12-11-2014, 08:02 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunty
I was expecting to see pics of his city apartment
Old 12-11-2014, 10:47 PM
cdelrosario
Racer

So in retrospect, knowing that the on board compressor is efficient, I would use that goo kit included with car. I can see how this could work.

I decided to use my AAA membership for the tow knowing I had 100 miles available (I was 35 miles from home)

Admittedly, I simply could not rasp hole enough as I could not get a good angle. I'm pretty sure I could plug a front flat as I could turn wheel to get leverage on the rasp & Plug tool.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:28 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdelrosario
So in retrospect, knowing that the on board compressor is efficient, I would use that goo kit included with car. I can see how this could work.

I decided to use my AAA membership for the tow knowing I had 100 miles available (I was 35 miles from home)

Admittedly, I simply could not rasp hole enough as I could not get a good angle. I'm pretty sure I could plug a front flat as I could turn wheel to get leverage on the rasp & Plug tool.
the only spray goo you should ever use is Slime , the green stuff, which washes right off. Anything else will destroy your tire pressure monitor and the goo will be major work to remove from the innards .
Old 12-12-2014, 02:19 AM
cdelrosario
Racer

Originally Posted by MKW
the only spray goo you should ever use is Slime , the green stuff, which washes right off. Anything else will destroy your tire pressure monitor and the goo will be major work to remove from the innards .
So the stuff Porsche packed in our frunk will damage the TPM's if we use it in a flat?
Old 12-12-2014, 08:42 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can drive on a flat. We blew out a tire on Mulholland Drive last year in a 2014 Boxster S loaner. The GPS showed a Porsche dealer 7 miles away. We drove there not exceeding 30 MPH & there was NO wheel damage and NO tire shredding! The 20 inch tire did not look much more flat than when it had air in it.
Old 12-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,633 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Rallyeporsche
You can drive on a flat. We blew out a tire on Mulholland Drive last year in a 2014 Boxster S loaner. The GPS showed a Porsche dealer 7 miles away. We drove there not exceeding 30 MPH & there was NO wheel damage and NO tire shredding! The 20 inch tire did not look much more flat than when it had air in it.
I personally would not want to risk trashing an $800 tire and $1000+ rim etc and I would be concerned that the tires internal construction may have been damaged. YMMV.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:53 PM
Rallyeporsche
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tire was replaced.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:11 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
I personally would not want to risk trashing an $800 tire and $1000+ rim etc and I would be concerned that the tires internal construction may have been damaged. YMMV.
agree...plug and fill is to quickly get out of a dangerous location to a tire store or dealership to get a new tire . Even if you discover it in your garage , you don't know how many miles it was driven at 10 lbs pressure, damaging the cords or sidewall internally

otoh, if a weekly tire check shows a tire is down a few pounds from a very slow leak and you see a nail in the center of the tread, you could fix it at a tire place , but that tire's speed rating is gone ..so YMMV...depending on whether it is a 911 you track once in awhile or speed across the Mojave in or a balloon tired commute car like a Prius

Quick Reply: My First Flat