Sponsored by:

2012 991 C2S to 2015 GTS Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 04:43 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 991 C2S to 2015 GTS Opinions

Guys, I am about to trade my C2S in on a 991 GTS. I love my S but also love the look of the GTS and a few more horses. Is it worth changing?
Old 12-08-2014, 04:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

probably not....
Old 12-08-2014, 05:23 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

Default GTS

Would it be worth waiting for 991.2 then?
Old 12-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I first read this post and thought, "what is the point of upgrading" - but then I realized I was in a similar situation when I bought my 2012 997.2 GTS. The things to consider are what will the face-lifted 991.2 look like, what technological improvements might it have, and whether or not you want an NA engine or a turbo (if we believe that Porsche is going all turbo in it's non GT cars). With the exception of the 996 (apologies) every new or face-lift has been an improvement (and you could argue that we'd never have gotten to the 991 without the teething issues of the 996). But just because the 991.2 may be upgraded doesn't mean that the 991 C2S or GTS is a piece of crap. To me the biggest issue would be NA versus turbo and I'd probably opt for the NA. The GTS is rated at 435 hp and ??? torque (can't recall) and I doubt that a face-lifted 991.2 will better those numbers so, if it is power you are concerned about, you probably do not need to be.

So there's the question. If you are in the market for a new car, really like the 991 platform (GTS), and don't really want to risk waiting and seeing what the 991.2 will offer, then go with the GTS. And even if you are debating a GTS versus a '15 C2S, if you like the options that come standard on the GTS and want something that is a bit more unique (but alas, no PTS), the GTS remains the best option (price sensitivity notwithstanding).

Best of luck with your decision. (For whatever it is worth, while the 991 is a great car, I'm not sorry to have gone with the 997.2 GTS a few months before the former was released.)

Old 12-08-2014, 05:32 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I first read this post and thought, "what is the point of upgrading" - but then I realized I was in a similar situation when I bought my 2012 997.2 GTS. The things to consider are what will the face-lifted 991.2 look like, what technological improvements might it have, and whether or not you want an NA engine or a turbo (if we believe that Porsche is going all turbo in it's non GT cars). With the exception of the 996 (apologies) every new or face-lift has been an improvement (and you could argue that we'd never have gotten to the 991 without the teething issues of the 996). But just because the 991.2 may be upgraded doesn't mean that the 991 C2S or GTS is a piece of crap. To me the biggest issue would be NA versus turbo and I'd probably opt for the NA. The GTS is rated at 435 hp and ??? torque (can't recall) and I doubt that a face-lifted 991.2 will better those numbers so, if it is power you are concerned about, you probably do not need to be.

So there's the question. If you are in the market for a new car, really like the 991 platform (GTS), and don't really want to risk waiting and seeing what the 991.2 will offer, then go with the GTS. And even if you are debating a GTS versus a '15 C2S, if you like the options that come standard on the GTS and want something that is a bit more unique (but alas, no PTS), the GTS remains the best option (price sensitivity notwithstanding).

Best of luck with your decision. (For whatever it is worth, while the 991 is a great car, I'm not sorry to have gone with the 997.2 GTS a few months before the former was released.)

totally agree! If you are in the market for a 991, the GTS is the one to pick, if you think you wont like a Turbo 991.2/992 the GTS is the way to go, question is should you upgrade, I think only you know the cost/benefit etc...
Old 12-08-2014, 07:46 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 573 Posts

Bruce - I'm originally from SA - lived in Sandton too . I am also considering a GTS but am coming from a 997.2 C2S (so a different perspective).

Here's my thinking - you already have a 991C2S - so its not like you're deciding on whether to get a 991 - you already have one. If money's no issue and you want a NA 991 with 4 seats (no GT3) - then get the GTS. But you are paying a lot of money for a very minor improvement - very, very minor.

Breaking it down - in the US you can sell a 2012 C2S 991 for maybe $80-85K depending on miles / condition. Then you have to turn around and pay $130K for a GTS ($125K gets you a stripper w PDK - ask me - I've configured mine). So is $45-50K worth it to get 30HP more and wider hips? Probably 0.2 sec 0-60, very very minor improvement in performance and tiny improvement in handling. Now if there are options you wanted that you didn't get etc., maybe swallow the $$ (or Rand) and step up

For me, its around $75K and my car - and truth be told my car is still great has 27K miles and with a Tubi puts out 400HP and is a fun toy with CPO. So that's what its coming down to for me.

For me, I want a GTS vs a GT3 as I will never have the time to go to the track and I have 2 kids that love the 911 - so I need the back seats.

Going straight into a NA 911 the GTS is compelling - you get wide hips, 2wd, X51 package, PSE - all standard. Its the one to get.

Let us know what you do.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:19 PM
porshanut
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

This is an interesting conversation. I am going through the exact same process-991.2 or GTS. I have a '12 991 configured very nicely (PSE, PDK, sport chrono, Burmester, convenience pkg plus) and would love the GTS. BUT, the lure of the .2 is always there. I know when I go to Rennsport Reunion in Oct, PCNA will have them on display just as the 991 was in 2011. Tough decision! Looking forward to following this and reading the comments.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:49 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

I have a 13 C2S and was interested in the GTS;

Than I saw it at the auto show and realized the black vents covering the engine are extremely cheap - they look nowhere near as nice in person as the quality appears to be in photos; and the Sport Design front end looks like **** on the car. It's like a boy racer bumper on an otherwise classy looking car. Further, the fact they couldn't even put on the carbon fiber engine cover for the Powerkit seemed tacky.

Not gonna lie; Porsche's layout at the LA Autoshow was a huge disappointment. This isn't a sports car company anymore -- not even close.

You're gonna eat a lot of depreciation on that GTS for a marginally faster car.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:23 AM
BruceSA
Advanced

Default GTS

Thanks for input. Greetings Rodsky...from deep dark Africa...literally if you know what has been happening with our local elec supply company here1

The GTS with my option spec is $140k. My trade on my C2S is $112k. I have $33K equity in the C2S so my pay-in is only $5K.

According to our local dealer, this will be the last NA GTS available in SA. Sales talk, not sure... but with the way our currency is going against the dollar, I can only score in the next 2 years.

I decided to sign order today as I can spec the car with a few options my C2S doesn't have and I like the GTS look compared to my conservative AGATE 991.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Madmac
Instructor

Hi Bruce from a fellow South African - I live in Sandton too. My thinking re the currency was the same as yours, so thought I get in there before the prices get to the point of being stretched. Will be interesting to see if the next gen are NA or not, however think the car with the options that it comes with are the closest you will come to getting a discount from Porsche SA. What colour are you looking at ordering?
Old 12-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BruceSA
Thanks for input. Greetings Rodsky...from deep dark Africa...literally if you know what has been happening with our local elec supply company here1

The GTS with my option spec is $140k. My trade on my C2S is $112k. I have $33K equity in the C2S so my pay-in is only $5K.

According to our local dealer, this will be the last NA GTS available in SA. Sales talk, not sure... but with the way our currency is going against the dollar, I can only score in the next 2 years.

I decided to sign order today as I can spec the car with a few options my C2S doesn't have and I like the GTS look compared to my conservative AGATE 991.
Good man! congratulations....
Old 12-09-2014, 12:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porshanut
This is an interesting conversation. I am going through the exact same process-991.2 or GTS. I have a '12 991 configured very nicely (PSE, PDK, sport chrono, Burmester, convenience pkg plus) and would love the GTS. BUT, the lure of the .2 is always there. I know when I go to Rennsport Reunion in Oct, PCNA will have them on display just as the 991 was in 2011. Tough decision! Looking forward to following this and reading the comments.
there might be sufficient overlap of GTS production that you could wait until RSRV in Oct to decide...
Old 12-09-2014, 01:27 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm moving from a '13 991S to a '15 991GTS. Easy call for me, because my 991S is a two year lease and it's up in March. Since I have to replace the S anyway, the GTS is a no-brainer. I loved my 997.2GTS. Unlike many, I love the alcantara interior so for me that's a big plus. I hate CL wheels based on my past experience, so I went with the standard 5-bolt wheels. I don't like the solid black look either, and I'm trying to wangle my dealer into a set of black Sport Tecno wheels. A disadvantage of the standard Carrera wheels on the GTS is that they're 1/2" narrower than the CL wheels (or the Sport Tecnos). The X-51 is a big plus, of course. And I simply love the look of the wide body.

DMoore
'13 991S (briefly)
'15 991GTS (soon)
'13 Panamera GTS
Old 12-09-2014, 01:38 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
I'm moving from a '13 991S to a '15 991GTS. Easy call for me, because my 991S is a two year lease and it's up in March. Since I have to replace the S anyway, the GTS is a no-brainer. I loved my 997.2GTS. Unlike many, I love the alcantara interior so for me that's a big plus. I hate CL wheels based on my past experience, so I went with the standard 5-bolt wheels. I don't like the solid black look either, and I'm trying to wangle my dealer into a set of black Sport Tecno wheels. A disadvantage of the standard Carrera wheels on the GTS is that they're 1/2" narrower than the CL wheels (or the Sport Tecnos). The X-51 is a big plus, of course. And I simply love the look of the wide body. DMoore '13 991S (briefly) '15 991GTS (soon) '13 Panamera GTS
Good catch on the narrower wheel width on the Carrera's. Stick with the wider Technos if you can. A good look on the wide body!

I've never leased, but there are some benefits to it by being able to effortlessly switch up every couple years without the drama of a trade in or painful private sale.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:51 PM
BruceSA
Advanced

Default GTS

Originally Posted by Madmac
Hi Bruce from a fellow South African - I live in Sandton too. My thinking re the currency was the same as yours, so thought I get in there before the prices get to the point of being stretched. Will be interesting to see if the next gen are NA or not, however think the car with the options that it comes with are the closest you will come to getting a discount from Porsche SA. What colour are you looking at ordering?
Mac, I decided on Guards Red as it looks good with all the back detail on the GTS.

Quick Reply: 2012 991 C2S to 2015 GTS Opinions