Sponsored by:

6 months on....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 6 months on....

So 6 months after driving out of the showroom (with the biggest and most embarrassing uncontrollable grin on my face) how do I feel now and what do I love, like & hate about 911 ownership?

Well, maybe it's just me or is the very experience of seeing, unlocking, driving, really driving, parking and walking away from a 991 every day a very special experience? If it never happened again I'd still feel like the luckiest person in the world... (Only surpassed by the arrival of my gorgeous daughter)

So here goes...

Yes I am still washing it more often than it really needs... Despite the cold wet weekends in the UK...
Yes I am still trying to keep my license despite an engine which goads me every time I see a 'passing opportunity' (not a highland passing place larry )
Yes I am still 'exploring' the rails which this car corners on... And I've found a few loose twitchy ones to make me smile
Yes I am still choosing smiles over miles...per gallon... Why take the diesel when there's a visceral animal on the drive?
Yes I am still checking in to RL every day to see if there are any new gems, lex-chuck double act banter, larry GTS gestation news... All good fun
Maybe I am okay with the fact that most compliments I get come from 'upper' middle-age gents (I know I'll be there soon!)
Maybe I am okay with the realisation that I might possibly never experience a 'child-hood' dream like this again
Maybe I am okay with the snow foam detailed by the wonderful Beebalm and Matt which finds it's way into every nook & cranny and takes ages to remove
No I am not loving the manual v PDK debates on RL ('cos we all know the 911 is best)
No I am not loving the fact that my weekends with my family are 2 hours shorter (damned snow foam )
No I am not loving the first 6 miles every day waiting for the engine to warm up

So in summary... After some great cars I still feel beyond blessed to own a truly 'standout' car.... I'm worried about the rate I'm putting miles on the clock and yet 'm excited that I'll be in it again tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't proclaim to be a porsche nut in my early years but here is a photo of my favourite toy car from my childhood (this photo was taken several years ago... before I even dreamed of owning a 911 and that is my daughter in the background - not me!)

Hope you all appreciate your cars as much as I do and thank you all for making this forum so useful, interesting, lively and fun...

Old 12-07-2014, 04:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

: )
Old 12-07-2014, 06:03 PM
the2thdr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice post.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:43 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheekymonkeyman
So 6 months after driving out of the showroom (with the biggest and most embarrassing uncontrollable grin on my face) how do I feel now and what do I love, like & hate about 911 ownership?
That's the 911 grin!

Well, maybe it's just me or is the very experience of seeing, unlocking, driving, really driving, parking and walking away from a 991 every day a very special experience? If it never happened again I'd still feel like the luckiest person in the world... (Only surpassed by the arrival of my gorgeous daughter)

So here goes...

Yes I am still washing it more often than it really needs... Despite the cold wet weekends in the UK...
Yes I am still trying to keep my license despite an engine which goads me every time I see a 'passing opportunity' (not a highland passing place larry )
If you haven't done so, get someone to take you to Brands or Oulton Park and get a fast lap in a 911... or sign up for the driving experience at Silverstone...

or...

Meet me at the Ring next May...

Yes I am still 'exploring' the rails which this car corners on... And I've found a few loose twitchy ones to make me smile
Yes I am still choosing smiles over miles...per gallon... Why take the diesel when there's a visceral animal on the drive?
that MUST hurt with UK petrol prices... Mr Osbourne must be sending you personally signed "thank you" notes...

Yes I am still checking in to RL every day to see if there are any new gems,
could be worse...

lex-chuck double act banter, larry GTS gestation news... All good fun
Maybe I am okay with the fact that most compliments I get come from 'upper' middle-age gents (I know I'll be there soon!)
no hot chicks yet? ... damn!

Maybe I am okay with the realisation that I might possibly never experience a 'child-hood' dream like this again
Maybe I am okay with the snow foam detailed by the wonderful Beebalm and Matt which finds it's way into every nook & cranny and takes ages to remove
Get the Scouts over!

No I am not loving the manual v PDK debates on RL ('cos we all know the 911 is best)
probably RL's lowest point...

No I am not loving the fact that my weekends with my family are 2 hours shorter (damned snow foam )
No I am not loving the first 6 miles every day waiting for the engine to warm up

So in summary... After some great cars I still feel beyond blessed to own a truly 'standout' car.... I'm worried about the rate I'm putting miles on the clock and yet 'm excited that I'll be in it again tomorrow morning.

I wouldn't proclaim to be a porsche nut in my early years but here is a photo of my favourite toy car from my childhood (this photo was taken several years ago... before I even dreamed of owning a 911 and that is my daughter in the background - not me!)

Hope you all appreciate your cars as much as I do and thank you all for making this forum so useful, interesting, lively and fun...
keep living the dream with us!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:59 PM
beebalm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

=Cheekymonkeyman;
Hi Cheekymonkeyman,
I really enjoyed your update
So glad you are still like I am
Continue having a blast!
BeeBalm

Last edited by beebalm; 12-07-2014 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:05 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Artistic picture. Like.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 12-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Duke I
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

CMM, a true 911 enthusiast and eager RL friend! A ton of help to me in ordering and picking up my car.

Thanks for an enjoyable post/update.

Temperate weather allowed me to do a two-hour drive -- a gift this time of year. Had a grin on the entire time. Grandsons get a good dose of the engine tone from the rear seats and think grandpa's sports car is "awesome." Gosh these cars are fun.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 PM
Scottish Pete
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I too am happy with my one week old C2S . . . just love the automatic transmission and the high quality Bose stereo which is the finest I have ever heard in a car.
That should keep this thread going well into the New Year
Meanwhile I am ducking down to hide under my sunroof delete!
. . . ending 43 years driving manual transmission 911 cars
Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 AM
pap2828
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Picture, great post, great car!!

The smiles are the best part !
Old 12-08-2014, 11:29 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 12-08-2014, 12:27 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottish Pete
I too am happy with my one week old C2S . . . just love the automatic transmission and the high quality Bose stereo which is the finest I have ever heard in a car.
That should keep this thread going well into the New Year
Meanwhile I am ducking down to hide under my sunroof delete!
. . . ending 43 years driving manual transmission 911 cars
you should really split those out into multiple threads to cause the most damage!
Old 12-08-2014, 12:50 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback... Great to see so many people I recall from my first post/days here on RL earlier this year and to welcome many new contributors since!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:11 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
That's the 911 grin! If you haven't done so, get someone to take you to Brands or Oulton Park and get a fast lap in a 911... or sign up for the driving experience at Silverstone... or... Meet me at the Ring next May... that MUST hurt with UK petrol prices... Mr Osbourne must be sending you personally signed "thank you" notes... could be worse... no hot chicks yet? ... damn! Get the Scouts over! probably RL's lowest point... keep living the dream with us!
Thanks Larry,
The Silverstone experience was astonishing and I still recount it every chance I get... Makes me drive just that bit more confidently on the twisties...
Mr Osborne is no friend... I keep sending him notes (with nice pictures of the Queens head)... But does he reply? No! Maybe he's too busy writing to all the AMG owners
As for the hot chicks... well... thank goodness I've got a beautiful looking car... 'cos the driver just keeps getting older
Old 12-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by beebalm
Hi Cheekymonkeyman, I really enjoyed your update So glad you are still like I am Continue having a blast! BeeBalm _____________________________________________________________________ You know you own a Porsche when she has her own laundry hamper for all her colorful microfiber towels
Thanks Beebalm... I think we entered our first posts almost the same time!
Old 12-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Cheekymonkeyman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke I
CMM, a true 911 enthusiast and eager RL friend! A ton of help to me in ordering and picking up my car. Thanks for an enjoyable post/update. Temperate weather allowed me to do a two-hour drive -- a gift this time of year. Had a grin on the entire time. Grandsons get a good dose of the engine tone from the rear seats and think grandpa's sports car is "awesome." Gosh these cars are fun.
Thanks Duke! Good to have seen your journey from start to finish... Now if only Larry would get a move on and extend the same courtesy

Quick Reply: 6 months on....