tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

any 991.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:56 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 439 Posts

I would be perfectly happy driving a Lotus Elise cross country so most Boxsters or 911's would be just fine too. That said, I doubt you'll find a lot of difference between a 981 and 991 in terms of comfort and I certainly wouldn't upgrade based solely on that.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:39 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sitting in Montreal after driving 7 hours from Long Island, NY this morning in my C4S Cab. I have the 14 way seats and found them very comfortable.

I highly recommend PAS/ACC for long trips. The cruise control works great! (Yes that means I have PDK).
Old 12-01-2014, 04:18 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Get either an "S" or a base car with PASM. Seats are more personal, but I like the 14-way, and the sport seats (AFAIK) don't have lumbar adjustments.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:54 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

I have found the 911 is the most comfortable car I've owned for long distance cursing ...having owned many Audi sedans.
Old 12-13-2014, 02:17 PM
ByByBMW
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I have found the 911 is the most comfortable car I've owned for long distance cursing ...having owned many Audi sedans.
You might want to edit this post, unless you meant exactly what you posted.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:42 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
Turbo with 18-way seats. I can't imagine a much more comfortable ride.
+1

Old 12-14-2014, 08:21 AM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a 997.1 with sports seats for 7 years, gave me backache after an hour or so behind the wheel. Have done some long trips in my 991 with 18 way seats and never had an issue at all. The 991 is a great GT and the 18 way seats are very comfortable indeed.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
LOVE my 2013 Boxster S, but think it might be a little uncomfortable on a cross country drive.
What 911 should I consider for purely GT purposes, IE setup more for comfort than performance? And what options to select, or stay away from?

Thanks
My 02 Boxster has served me well as a GT many times covering anywhere from 500 miles in day to nearly 1K miles in a day and around 4K to 5K to 8K miles in a week.

The knock on the Boxster comes from the inability to recline the seat back so I can stretch out and take a nap.

There is also the view out of the car which is a bit restricted compared to my other car.

Even though the engine is just a 2.7l fitted with a 5-speed manual the car is a delight on the freeway or highway and has plenty of power for the long steep mountain grades and passing slower traffic (and its all slower...).

Oh, the Boxster is a quiet car courtesy of its 17" wheels/tires and the fact I do not put the top down.

However good/great the Boxster is for GT work my 03 Turbo is better. One is I can move the seat back and recline the back and stretch out and catch 40 winks which can be a lifesaver as I sometime get real tired but do not want to stop for the night.

The view out of the car is better. More glass. And I sit a bit higher off the ground.

The car's engine is of course a dream. Plenty of power and torque and maintaining a 75mph or higher cruising speed over any terrain is simply effortless. (However, the Boxster never struggles either and over the same roads, too.)

The Turbo also has the bi-xenon lights and these really light up the night. Get out of town and one realizes how much one relies upon all the lights in town to see by at night.

The Turbo's ride is a bit harsher thanks to 18" wheels/tires but it is not notably harsher. In the Turbo or the Boxster I can cover 500 to 700 to even more miles in (a *long*) day's driving without feeling beat up.

Might also add that another good GT car though not a Porsche was my 2006 GTO with its 6.0l V8 coupled with a 6-speed manual. Effortless cruising. Comfortable. Good view out. Plenty of passing power.

But the top of my GT list was my 2002 Golf TDi. Even a better view out. Surprisingly even with 90hp and 160ftlbs of torque an effortless cruiser. It was not even fazed by the 11K feet passes on I-70. And with 15" wheels/tires there was no road noise and with its Michelin MMX tires it was fine in the snow. And oh the cruising range of that diesel. Sweet. Plenty of cargo space and in fact with the rear seats down I could stretch out in the back full length and catch 40 winks. Once or twice I even slept in the car overnight to avoid paying for a hotel room for the night.

What options? Cruise control is a must. Auto climate control. Bi-Xenon headlights. Intermittent and rain sensing wipers. A rear wiper if available. The smallest wheel/tire size the car come with. Stay away from the 20" (or bigger wheels if you can). A full sized spare. I know I know good luck. But my VW Golf had one and it was the one thing that put the VW Golf on top of all my other cars for GT work.

I prefer to drive in silence so I do not care for fancy stereos or CD players. The Turbo came with a 6 CD changer in the front trunk and I don't even know what CD's I put in it.

Let's see... I use an aftermarket NAV system (Garmin). Kind of nice to locate businesses, gas stations, hotels, restaurants and such when in unfamiliar areas.

V1 radar detector.

Oh, another plus for the VW is I could have a hand held CB radio (battery powered) and connect it to an external antenna (using a magnetic base) on the roof with the antenna cable running to the back of the car and routed out through the hatch door. This external antenna gave me very good CB radio reception so I could keep abreast of smokey bears and when the coast was clear haul the mail, if you know what I mean.

If you restrict yourself to Porsches, any coupe -- fitted with the must have options I listed above -- would be a good GT. However, I would seriously consider a Cayenne. One sits up high. One has plenty of space. Plenty of power and comfort. And there is room I think for a full sized spare in the cargo area.

Quick Reply: Which 911 as long distance cruiser?