Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on the aerokit 'ducktail' for the GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014 | 01:34 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sportscentury
It's purely a matter of personal preference. I did not get a ducktail on my first five 911s and never regretted it. Never even thought about it, for that matter, as I prefer the standard 911 lines. But for some others, it is a must have.
I agree on the classic lines, but I also agree the SC looks awesome
Old 12-27-2014 | 03:31 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sportscentury
It's purely a matter of personal preference. I did not get a ducktail on my first five 911s and never regretted it. Never even thought about it, for that matter, as I prefer the standard 911 lines. But for some others, it is a must have.
Same here. My dealer has a duck tail C2S on the showroom floor,....it does look nice but it's more of a novelty to me. I like it for maybe the first minute or two until I soak in all the angles and then I come to a realization it would not be for me. I like the simple uncluttered looks of the 911,....especially in wide-body form.
Old 12-27-2014 | 03:35 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
dont need one, I have a real GT3!

Its a good question, probably performance wise the difference is negligible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqYs-QGqzBI

But which car would I rather have in my garage, GT3 anyday, the 991 is a great car and a great Porsche, but compared to a GT3 its simply a car not an icon.
I had that exact video in mind when I posted my response to you. Of course, that was an S, not a GTS with the x51, so I think it is reasonable to expect the difference would be even smaller. But yes, that video is what got me started with respect to wondering how the 991 GTS would stack up to the 7.2GT3. I'm sure a comparison video will come out in time.

Originally Posted by fbroen
What would haunt me more than not getting it would be the fact that it is not as nicely executed as the 997 Sport Classic duck. For that reason alone it is a no I my mind.
The 997 SC was brilliant IMHO:

The ducktail on SC does look very, very nice. The 991 is longer than the 997 (among other changes in styling), of course, so the fit of the ducktail and the silhouette will be different.
Old 12-27-2014 | 03:47 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Gosh that 911 SC is a beautiful car!
Jim
Old 12-27-2014 | 03:55 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Gosh that 911 SC is a beautiful car! Jim
+1 very sharp
Old 12-27-2014 | 03:57 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Yeah but I already have a better coupe!

and this is California ... sitting here in my home office, shorts t-shirt and not a cloud in the sky, big difference from Boxing Day in Scotland!
Larry, I assume you are keeping your GT3. I'm sure there will be little comparison of the visceral 'feel' of a .7 GT3 and refined nature of the 991. That is what is making me just a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a GTS.
Jim
Old 12-27-2014 | 05:29 PM
Madmac
Instructor

So, I saw my first GTS in the flesh today. Car had been de-GTS'd: normal carerra 5 lug wheels, deletion of alcantara interior, aero kit spoiler. Car was in agate and looked like a standard C4. Very underwhelming.

On a positive note, The brushed adonised interior strips look great, as well as the exhaust tips and strip that runs beneath the spoiler (it was a C2).

After seeing the car in person, I am going to stick with the standard grill. I looked at a 50 edition and like the classic look, though obviously the chrome bits on the 50 are replaced with a polished black strip instead.

I do think that the standard ducktail would look better than the aero kit, but that is obviously just my opinion.
Old 12-27-2014 | 06:06 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fbroen
What would haunt me more than not getting it would be the fact that it is not as nicely executed as the 997 Sport Classic duck. For that reason alone it is a no I my mind.
The 997 SC was brilliant IMHO:
A 991 will never be a 997...Non sequitur.

Old 12-27-2014 | 07:19 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Larry, I assume you are keeping your GT3. I'm sure there will be little comparison of the visceral 'feel' of a .7 GT3 and refined nature of the 991. That is what is making me just a little hesitant to pull the trigger on a GTS.
Jim
Totally, the GT3 is a keeper... the GTS is a DD/weekend car.
Old 12-27-2014 | 07:21 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Madmac
So, I saw my first GTS in the flesh today. Car had been de-GTS'd: normal carerra 5 lug wheels, deletion of alcantara interior, aero kit spoiler. Car was in agate and looked like a standard C4. Very underwhelming.

On a positive note, The brushed adonised interior strips look great, as well as the exhaust tips and strip that runs beneath the spoiler (it was a C2).

After seeing the car in person, I am going to stick with the standard grill. I looked at a 50 edition and like the classic look, though obviously the chrome bits on the 50 are replaced with a polished black strip instead.

I do think that the standard ducktail would look better than the aero kit, but that is obviously just my opinion.
you mean the SD front fascia was replaced, or the rear was different?

Not sure why people buy a certain model then de-brand it.
Old 12-28-2014 | 12:31 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

I totally understand why someone would do this.

I like the mechanical and functional features that Porsche put into the GTS, but I dislike the black exterior bits, including the wheels, that are the stock offerings on the GTS. On the interior, I hate the cheap look and feel of alcantara and don't like the black anodized strips. Fortunately, Porsche included options, many of them at no cost, which allows the buyer to eliminate the "parts bin" look.

I like to think that when Porsche execs saw the total stock GTS package, then said "Das ist Scheisse!" and told the designers to make replacement options available.

If I were to order a GTS, I would do much the same as the guy that ordered the GTS which Madmac described.
Old 12-28-2014 | 02:53 AM
Madmac
Instructor

The car had the full aero kit, so also had the front spoiler (which looked good) in addition to the rear spoiler.
Old 12-28-2014 | 02:57 AM
Madmac
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
I totally understand why someone would do this.

I like the mechanical and functional features that Porsche put into the GTS, but I dislike the black exterior bits, including the wheels, that are the stock offerings on the GTS. On the interior, I hate the cheap look and feel of alcantara and don't like the black anodized strips. Fortunately, Porsche included options, many of them at no cost, which allows the buyer to eliminate the "parts bin" look.

I like to think that when Porsche execs saw the total stock GTS package, then said "Das ist Scheisse!" and told the designers to make replacement options available.

If I were to order a GTS, I would do much the same as the guy that ordered the GTS which Madmac described.
I guess that is the great thing about Porsche is that you can pretty much build your dream car. At the end of the day, it is each of our own hard earned money and personal choice. For me, I like all the things about the GTS you don't, however we both get to love and enjoy our cars equally.
Old 12-28-2014 | 09:18 AM
FORENN
Banned

I guess that is the great thing about Porsche is that you can pretty much build your dream car. At the end of the day, it is each of our own hard earned money and personal choice. For me, I like all the things about the GTS you don't, however we both get to love and enjoy our cars equally.
Well said. I also like the GTS look and features (except for Alcantara) but speccing the car to look more like the C4S and taking advantage of the x51 and lower cost of aerokit cup would not be a bad way to go either. Any pics of the car you reviewed?
Old 12-28-2014 | 06:11 PM
Mag3
Intermediate

Has anyone a picture of a 991 ducktail on a gts with 50th style (albeit black) grill? Curious how it looks. ;-)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the aerokit 'ducktail' for the GTS?