Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 PCM Navigation Different From 2014 - Fix??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Cjaubert
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 PCM Navigation Different From 2014 - Fix??

The procedure to input navigation information into my 2015 911 PCM is different than my 2014 Cayenne, and different than the owner's manual and email video that Porsche sends to new buyers. In short, it works, but it is VERY clunky to use and I hate it.

My question is, do any of you know of any way to fix this by flashing 2014 software into the 2015 unit, or otherwise? Porsche says there is no fix, and they can't even retrofit the 2015 with 2014 hardware (some kind of wiring harness problem, I'm told). I can't imagine that nothing can be done, but I'm out of ideas. I hope someone here can help. Thanks.

P.S. 800-PORSCHE and the dealer acknowledge the difference/problem and that "many people" have complained, but also that there are no solutions. I just can't believe that nothing can be done.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

How is it different?
Old 11-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Cjaubert
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Vetsky
How is it different?
Basically, they reordered the input order and the new one does not "remember" where you are. For example, the 2014 defaulted to the country, state, and city of your last input. The 2015 defaults only to the country. Also, the order of input on the 2014 was country, state, city, street, number. The order on the 2015 is country, street, number, city - makes no sense, to me.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

So net is if you've never used the PCM before you'll be fine then right?
Old 11-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Cjaubert
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Vise
So net is if you've never used the PCM before you'll be fine then right?
Well, as the original post says, the 2015 is different than what the owner's manual and video show it to be. So, I guess if you'd never used it before, you'd just be confused. If you had used it before, like me, you'd be both confused and upset.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjaubert
Basically, they reordered the input order and the new one does not "remember" where you are. For example, the 2014 defaulted to the country, state, and city of your last input. The 2015 defaults only to the country. Also, the order of input on the 2014 was country, state, city, street, number. The order on the 2015 is country, street, number, city - makes no sense, to me.
That can't be right. Can you try it on any other 2015s at the dealership to verify that it's not a one-off glitch?
Old 11-13-2014, 06:47 PM
Cjaubert
8th Gear

I completely agree - it can't be right. The problem is, it IS right. I have not personally tried any other 2015s, but the store (services and salesman) and 800-PORSCHE customer service tell me that, indeed, there were changes made, and that others are upset, like I am. Moreover, they also tell me, as I wrote above, that there is no software fix and that exchanging the hardware for a 2014 unit is not possible.

So, you've hit on my point: I can't believe this is right, and, further, that there is no fix. But, again that's the way it is. And I'm really ticked off.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:02 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My only suggestion would be to add the Voice Input feature and see if that helps.
I find Voice Input works much better than Manual Input.
It's to the point that I stopped using manual input.
Maybey get the dealer to add it free to help apease you.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:32 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, that sucks! Nice move Porsche!

Hell, the way they have your 2015 PCM programmed, if you get Voice Input you will probably have to speak the words backwards to make it work.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:25 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,779 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Wow, that sucks! Nice move Porsche!

Hell, the way they have your 2015 PCM programmed, if you get Voice Input you will probably have to speak the words backwards to make it work.
The 2015 Voice Control only understands German.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Vetsky
Racer

This sounds nuts to me.

If you input the street before the city how does it do the predictive names? How does the list function work?

It just does't make sense. Seems like a huge step back to the 90's.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:40 PM
Cjaubert
8th Gear

There is no way that the Voice only speaks German. But, regardless, I was told that you can't add Voice to the PCM. I'm just so bummed about this.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:42 PM
Cjaubert
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Vetsky
This sounds nuts to me.

If you input the street before the city how does it do the predictive names? How does the list function work?

It just does't make sense. Seems like a huge step back to the 90's.
It does the predictive names in a very 90's way - it lists every street in America with that name. Yes, that's right - because you don't limit your search to the city you're in (and it doesn't "remember" from the last entry), if you put in, say, "Main," you'll get every Main in America, and then have to scroll until you find the city you want. Crazy...
Old 11-17-2014, 09:37 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cjaubert
Somebody at Porsche either really loves the reverse Polish notation on their HP calculators or never thought "hey, people in the US get street addresses like: 123 Main St, Big City, NY 12345". Computers are remarkably good at looking at inputs - like current location - and doing predictive lookups to find best matches. Unless they're PCM nav systems, it seems. :/

Of course, I also HATE the bit where it disables letters and numbers based on what possible choices are left, not because it makes sense to punch in bad characters, but it's just so damned distracting.

In any case, I'll keep using my phone. (Love the in-dash map though.)
Old 11-17-2014, 09:44 PM
Cjaubert
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mrstep
Somebody at Porsche either really loves the reverse Polish notation on their HP calculators or never thought "hey, people in the US get street addresses like: 123 Main St, Big City, NY 12345". Computers are remarkably good at looking at inputs - like current location - and doing predictive lookups to find best matches. Unless they're PCM nav systems, it seems. :/

Of course, I also HATE the bit where it disables letters and numbers based on what possible choices are left, not because it makes sense to punch in bad characters, but it's just so damned distracting.

In any case, I'll keep using my phone. (Love the in-dash map though.)
Well, while we're piling on, is there any other in-car navigation system that actually requires you to type "1+" before typing a phone number POI entry? Talk about too many annoying steps. Sheesh, I'd love to meet the guy who said, "I've got it, let's make all these changes to the PCM and then not tell anyone!" and ask him, "What in the world were you thinking?"

Quick Reply: 2015 PCM Navigation Different From 2014 - Fix??