Sponsored by:

More GTS build questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 10:09 AM
YGBSM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More GTS build questions

A couple of quick questions- I have done a search but haven't found the answers- hope this is not duplicative.

The website references back seat delete as an option, but it's not on the Build-your-own. Available/ not available for US build?

Centerlock 20-inch Turbo wheels- any performance advantage (i.e. lighter or stronger) over Carrera S wheels? I can't find wheel weights on either. I will not get Centerlock wheels unless there is a discernable performance difference.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Vise
Drifting

Received 331 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by YGBSM
The website references back seat delete as an option, but it's not on the Build-your-own. Available/ not available for US build?

Centerlock 20-inch Turbo wheels- any performance advantage (i.e. lighter or stronger) over Carrera S wheels? I can't find wheel weights on either. I will not get Centerlock wheels unless there is a discernable performance difference.
Back seat delete does not appear to be available in the US/Canada.

On the wheels, the Turbo S wheels are forged and thus would be stronger than the cast Carrera S wheels... should also be lighter but I haven't seen any info on weights. They are also much harder to steal too if that makes any difference to you.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:33 AM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Initially I had the same thoughts as you. In the end I went with them simply for the cool factor and looks.
Old 11-11-2014, 11:34 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The backseat delete is not available in the U.S. That said, you can easily remove the back seats. Where I live we have HOV 3 with exceptions being motorcycles and 2-seaters with 2 occupants. The thing is, the way the law is written the car has to be a two-seater from the factory and not modified. The fact that the GTS has the two-seat option from the factory, and you removed the back seats (not the factory), still qualifies the car as two-seater.

Insofar as center-locks go, I don't have any substantive idea if the 20s offer any advantage over the 19s. What I can tell you is that if you have the option for a lugged wheel you might want to think about that. The center locks look cool and are a great theft deterrent but that is about where it ends (for me). You need special tools to remove them as well as knowing the procedure. Very few tire shops have the knowledge or expertise so for anything that requires removal of the wheel (new tires, brake flush, new pads, etc. you'll likely be going to the dealer - unless you are a true DIY'er). You may be fine with this but just know that center locks limits your options. (Plus, if you are obsessive about detailing, you won't be taking your wheels off to clean them, again, unless you pony up ~$750 for the tools and are comfortable with the process.)

Best of luck with the build.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Insofar as center-locks go, I don't have any substantive idea if the 20s offer any advantage over the 19s. What I can tell you is that if you have the option for a lugged wheel you might want to think about that. The center locks look cool and are a great theft deterrent but that is about where it ends (for me). You need special tools to remove them as well as knowing the procedure. Very few tire shops have the knowledge or expertise so for anything that requires removal of the wheel (new tires, brake flush, new pads, etc. you'll likely be going to the dealer - unless you are a true DIY'er). You may be fine with this but just know that center locks limits your options. (Plus, if you are obsessive about detailing, you won't be taking your wheels off to clean them, again, unless you pony up ~$750 for the tools and are comfortable with the process.)
The Turbo S and Carrera S wheel options on the GTS are both 20" so no difference there. As for your comments, I've seen the same feedback elsewhere but not a concern for me... I talked to the local shop that does my wheels/tires (not my dealer) and they have plenty of experience with Porsche center lock wheels and said it is not a big deal at all. Mind you they do plenty of modding work on European cars so perhaps not a resource that everyone has access to.

Since I've changed my wheels myself exactly zero times I think the center locks will work out just fine...
Old 11-11-2014, 12:41 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Vise
The Turbo S and Carrera S wheel options on the GTS are both 20" so no difference there. As for your comments, I've seen the same feedback elsewhere but not a concern for me... I talked to the local shop that does my wheels/tires (not my dealer) and they have plenty of experience with Porsche center lock wheels and said it is not a big deal at all. Mind you they do plenty of modding work on European cars so perhaps not a resource that everyone has access to. Since I've changed my wheels myself exactly zero times I think the center locks will work out just fine...

Good call...

Part of the "look" of the GTS is the center locks. Why not drop the power kit too? You'd be in a 4S then.

The Carrera S wheels have been around forever and are on every Cayman, Boxster, 991, etc.. Way too common. The center locks will look awesome.

Plus if I was buying a used GTS, I'd want them as would most other buyers. They're not some rare feature that any guys that should be working on your car don't have experience with.

If you're at your local corner grease monkey getting work done and he's thrown off by center locks you're going to have bigger issues that that!
Old 11-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Vise
Drifting

Originally Posted by STG991
If you're at your local corner grease monkey getting work done and he's thrown off by center locks you're going to have bigger issues that that!
Yeah exactly, its not like I plan on taking my 911 to the local Goodyear tire shop.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:01 PM
STG
Race Director

Yeah exactly, its not like I plan on taking my 911 to the local Goodyear tire shop.
Would you change your mind about using this shop? They might be good at removing center locks.

Last edited by STG; 11-11-2014 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:17 PM
STG
Race Director

I'd avoid the corner grease monkey..

Last edited by STG; 11-11-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:32 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

On the wheels, the Turbo S wheels are forged and thus would be stronger than the cast Carrera S wheels... should also be lighter but I haven't seen any info on weights. They are also much harder to steal too if that makes any difference to you.
The CL wheels should be lighter than the 5 lugs? I'd bet it's the other way around.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,631 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Good call...

Part of the "look" of the GTS is the center locks. Why not drop the power kit too? You'd be in a 4S then.

The Carrera S wheels have been around forever and are on every Cayman, Boxster, 991, etc.. Way too common. The center locks will look awesome.

Plus if I was buying a used GTS, I'd want them as would most other buyers. They're not some rare feature that any guys that should be working on your car don't have experience with

+1
Old 11-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sportscentury
The CL wheels should be lighter than the 5 lugs? I'd bet it's the other way around.
not if they are forged vs cast... cast tend to be heavier
Old 11-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Would you change your mind about using this shop? They might be good at removing center locks.

dont think I'd let 3 of the skankiest ho's I have ever seen drape themselves over any part of me or my 911!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:45 PM
FORENN
Banned

Part of the "look" of the GTS is the center locks. Why not drop the power kit too?
Apples... meet oranges.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:47 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
not if they are forged vs cast... cast tend to be heavier
Interesting. The guys on the RL and 6speed Turbo boards are always talking about how heavy the Turbo S CL wheels are, so I thought they'd be heavier than the 5-lug Carrera S wheels. Thanks.

On a related note, it sure would be nice if Porsche would simply publish the weights of the various wheels offered.

Quick Reply: More GTS build questions