Sponsored by:

need winter storage recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:24 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
cool story bro. when you start paying for someone else's toys then you can wax on about what they should do with them. i just don't understand why people are obsessed with giving their opinions on things that are none of their concern
Welcome to Internet posting boards. People who's opinions nobody cares about in real life have an outlet where they actually think they can shoot off their mouth about things that are none of their business. Like an old lady sticking her nose into everyone's business.

Last edited by STG; 11-08-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For long winter pampering luxurious storage, I recommend:

1. Battery maintainer
2. Air conditioner (if your heating system does not have humidity controller)
3. Car cover (if your garage is old & dusty - otherwise no need)
4. Garage exhaust hose (for idle warmup - in case the snow outside is too thick for 30-40 min drive).
5. Water vapor does get buildup in concrete - especially during rainy season. But in the winter the air is usually very dry and vaporized quickly, so I wouldn't worry much. You can always cover the concrete under the car with cheap cut-out 120L plastic bag (PP bag) - you'll just need 3 of these. Or, go with expensive options by buying 3 Porsche picnic blankets (I think around $100 each) from suncoast as it has waterproof underneath.

PF
Old 11-08-2014, 09:34 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
cool story bro. when you start paying for someone else's toys then you can wax on about what they should do with them. i just don't understand why people are obsessed with giving their opinions on things that are none of their concern
I just don't understand why people are obsessed with people giving their opinions in the first place. I get not driving something every day, but mothballing a 991 just doesn't compute to me, that's all.

World peace bro.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:30 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I just don't understand why people are obsessed with people giving their opinions in the first place. I get not driving something every day, but mothballing a 991 just doesn't compute to me, that's all.

World peace bro.
ok heres a picture of my winters...
bottom line, like OP, i'm storing my car over the winter because i worked my *** off to buy this car and i want it to outlast me. if it was a lease only THEN would i understand driving it...
Attached Images  
Old 11-08-2014, 10:43 PM
STG
Race Director

No thanks

Old 11-08-2014, 10:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Ordered these too. Overkill? Maybe. Better than risking permanent flat spots. Yes, sometimes they do happen. Also doing 10psi over.

They are hard foam ramps. Trying them out tomorrow. I don't want to keep having to roll the car every couple weeks. Also storing your car in an above freezing garage is also highly recommended for the fluids, etc.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,416 Likes on 2,519 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
Ordered these too. Overkill? Maybe. Better than risking permanent flat spots. Yes, sometimes they do happen. Also doing 10psi over. They are hard foam ramps. Trying them out tomorrow. I don't want to keep having to roll the car every couple weeks. <br/><br/>Storing your car in an above freezing garage is also highly recommended for the fluids, etc..
Sorry. Waste of good money. And your owner's manual says 50 psi ( not 10 over) and move the car a few inches every month. Flatspotting is so over hyped. Over inflate. Hand roll the car a little. And no issues.

Try and cancel your order.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-08-2014, 11:05 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by LexVan
Sorry. Waste of good money. And your owner's manual says 50 psi ( not 10 over) and move the car a few inches every month. Flatspotting is so over hyped. Over inflate. Move the roll the car a little. And no issues. Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
36/44 is the normal. I'll check it out. Thanks.

The car is being stored in a high end storage garage and not my home. They unfortunately don't have guys to roll the car, and I don't plan on visiting the car until spring.

Better than 2K in new tires is the way I see it. Like I said, probably overkill but it can't hurt.

You probably don't approve of my 100 octane Sonoco unleaded race fuel I tried yesterday at $7.00/gallon. The difference in performance and how much better the car responds is amazing. Wanted to store it with that and see if there was a difference. I'm telling you, I'm sold.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG991
36/44 is the normal. I'll check it out. Thanks.

The car is being stored in a high end storage garage and not my home. They unfortunately don't have guys to roll the car, and I don't plan on visiting the car until spring.

Better than 2K in new tires is the way I see it. Like I said, probably overkill but it can't hurt.

You probably don't approve of my 100 octane Sonoco unleaded race fuel I tried yesterday at $7.00/gallon. The difference in performance and how much better the car responds is amazing. Wanted to store it with that and see if there was a difference. I'm telling you, I'm sold.
I use 99 octane all the time and I agree about the difference.

PF
Old 11-09-2014, 08:51 AM
hjles
Instructor

Thanks for the recommendations, I think I've got a good plan.

Car cover:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991IN.html

Battery Tender:
Amazon.com: CTEK 93-56-864 MUS 4.3 Black 12V Battery Charger: Automotive Amazon.com: CTEK 93-56-864 MUS 4.3 Black 12V Battery Charger: Automotive
or
Amazon.com: BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfater - 12V, Model# 2012: Automotive Amazon.com: BatteryMINDer Charger/Maintainer/Desulfater - 12V, Model# 2012: Automotive

Desiccant:
Amazon.com: DampRid FG60 Refillable Moisture Absorber, 2-Pack: Home & Kitchen Amazon.com: DampRid FG60 Refillable Moisture Absorber, 2-Pack: Home & Kitchen

Inflate tires:
Black & Decker ASI500 12-Volt Cordless Air Station Inflator - Air Compressors - Amazon.com Black & Decker ASI500 12-Volt Cordless Air Station Inflator - Air Compressors - Amazon.com
(to be honest these all seem crappy, any recommendations for a quality portable compressor?)

Rodent Control:
Amazon.com : Victor Easy Set Mouse (8 Pack) : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Victor Easy Set Mouse (8 Pack) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

5 Month Vacation:
http://www.gohawaii.com/

Can I use one of the 12V sockets for the battery tender, or do I need to connect it directly to the battery terminals?
I'm reading conflicting opinions on gas additives. Any further thoughts?

FYI - here is my typical commute from last winter, and this was a nice day:
Old 11-09-2014, 09:02 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use the 12V sockets if they are live with the car shut off.

What is the DampRid for?

All portable compressor are junk. Go to Harbor Freight and get a real one (oil free at that). Bigger is better.

This garage has rodents in it?

What conlicting reports about Sta-Bil? The stuff is gold for storing gasoline, no downside whatsoever.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 AM
STG
Race Director

The Porsche one plugs right into the passenger side footwell into the 12v connector. Perfect.

Have only heard great things about Sta-Bil for the fuel and is the go to product. I bought the Marine version which is fine for cars. I read that and even called the company to confirm. A little stronger version of the regular stuff, and better for ethanol. All their products are for ethanol now I believe as well.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product..._ExteriorCover
Old 11-09-2014, 01:56 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by todd92
You can use the 12V sockets if they are live with the car shut off.

What is the DampRid for?

All portable compressor are junk. Go to Harbor Freight and get a real one (oil free at that). Bigger is better.

This garage has rodents in it?

What conlicting reports about Sta-Bil? The stuff is gold for storing gasoline, no downside whatsoever.
rodents will get anywhere that is warm...theyll gnaw through concrete if thats what it takes.

and i agree, sta-bil is good for the gas. just make sure you drive for at least 10 minutes or so.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:39 AM
STG
Race Director

Default Put her away for the winter

To all my winter storage friends, and to the critical year round crowd, my lovely driving companion has found her home for the winter. She's in good company and will have many new friends and stories to share.

My GT Silver C2S making new friends. Being stored at a friends garage.

Keeping cozy.

No flat spots

Great Porsche OEM cover

Old 11-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by hjles
First time owner, getting ready to put the car to bed for the winter. I have a heated single car garage cleaned out and ready to go.

My tentative plan:

Buy a nice cover for the car. Any recommendations here? I have a 2014 991 C4S cabriolet.
CoverCraft Evolution 4 Custom Car Cover. We have used this brand of custom covers for years (early 1990s, if not before) for all of the Porsches and BMWs we have owned. Several of the cars were concours quality. <www.AutoAnything.com> has the best prices, and shipping is free. The cover is a custom fit for your Porsche, with mirror pockets.

Particulars and write up from site:

"Price:$177.01 - $200.61, shipping free.

At the apex of development, the Evolution 4 is a fully-evolved car cover. Created from a quartet of materials, the Evolution 4 offers impact resistance, a water barrier, breathability and a soft paint-pampering lining."

You will not go wrong with this type of cover. Type 2

Quick Reply: need winter storage recommendations