Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new C2S Cab (a non-GTS thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default My new C2S Cab (a non-GTS thread!)

Warning - long post ahead ....

So - here is the build:

2014 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet
N0 - Agate Grey Metallic
AZ - Leather interior in Black
25241 - Seats in deviating standard leather (front and rear)
250 - Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
640 - Sport Chrono Package
176 - Sport Exhaust System
840 - SportDesign steering wheel
529 - SortDesign side mirrors
658 - Power Steering Plus
P06 - Power Sport Seats (14 way)
P3D - Premium Package (for use with Power Sport Seats)
603 - Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)
P3H - BOSE Audio Package
XFJ - Instrument dials in White
CGJ - Sport Chrono clock dial in Carrara White
XDH - Wheels painted Platinum (semi-gloss)
581 - Luggage net in passenger footwell
583 - Smoking package
00471 - Rear seat backrest covered in carpet (engine side)

Here is the story:

My Porsche journey continues ....

As a refresh, I leased (yes leased - boo!!) my first 911 just over a year ago. It was a 3.4L dark blue metallic, no sports chrono, no PSE, multifunction wheel, no leather. The short term lease was intentional - the 991 design was just beautiful and that is what pushed me over the edge to move into the current model - but I wanted to see if a 991 would work for as a daily driver and would I like it, over say an E63?

Immediately fell in love with the car. The look, the handling, the adrenaline. However, the stock exhaust wasn't doing it for me so I went aftermarket. Also, while the acceleration was initially sufficient, it felt like it was missing something. Got into AX a bit too and the suspension could have been a bit better too. Did I mention the MF buttons drove me nuts! Although the convenience of the volume and mute was a joy.

Can you see where this is going?

So with the 12 month lease pull in being offered (and I had put no money down as this was somewhat planned) I started my search for a 911 S. Focusing on the 2014s to drive a good price and I saw no difference with the 2015. Requirements were 3.8L, chrono, SD steering wheel, PSE, PDK with pretty much any exterior color except white and probably not red, and any interior except grey.

Test drove a few cars and a dealer convinced me to "take a cab for a spin" - well that threw a spanner in the works. To cut an already long story short, after a lot of thought, primarily as I saw the cab as a huge compromise on why I wanted a 911 - the performance, I decided to go the short term route again to make sure ultimately I will happy with where I end up. With the view that this is a journey, I'm thinking of this one an extended (albeit expensive) test drive ��. It also helped that the kids also absolutely loved it, and they won't fit back there forever.

So, then the GTS came along - major spanner in works (!) as it was pretty much aligned with my needs. Again, long story short - but going the cab route I didn't feel I needed X-51 (nuts I know!), I enjoy the look of the narrow body, wasn't considering sport design front and would have deleted the alcantra and the CL wheels and love the look of the Carrera Classics. Major torment though.

After an extensive search I narrowed it down to 4 2014 C2S cabs that met my needs. Then narrowed it down to 2, one which was even more attractively priced than the one I finally chose.

This one just spoke to me though. I wasn't looking for a leather interior and definitely not deviated seats in red. I don't like the full red interiors and even the two-tone was a bit much for me - but this one really really hit the mark, especially in a cab with the agate grey exterior color. Center tunnel mix concerned me some, but I got over it. Boy - is the full leather interior a thing of beauty - touch, sight and smell!! And it checked all my other boxes. Gorgeous car.

Add in a great deal - and I'm one happy camper.

Ultimately, my goal is to buy a 991 long term (maybe a CPO) - I'm already sold on the 991 as it is a beautiful machine, I just need to know that I'm getting into the right type. I sure am having some fun along the way !!

Experience to date:

- 3.8L engine - exactly what I wanted and I haven't even explored its upper ranges quite yet. Highly recommend if you can swing it.
- PSE - just plain awesome in a cab. Expensive but worth it - and the ability to turn it off if discretion is required.
- SD steering wheel - thing of beauty and the stalk handles most operations. Paddles 2000% better.
- Chrono - not explored fully yet. But it seems to tighten up the PDK shifts and with PASM its a lot better.
- Cab - loving it more than I would ever have thought (being in the Bay Area probably helps). Also having some great family time. Haven't had the opportunity to determine just how much it impacts handling.
- Dials all in white - getting used to them
- Overall look - loving it!

And - most importantly - here are the pictures!! :

Thanks for reading!
Old 10-12-2014, 06:33 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous!! Actually, this color combination is the best, I think. For my Agate Grey C4S, I also chose the same Red/Black interior. (I chose Carbon Fiber trims and added some decorative stitchings.) The Red/Black is the best interior color choice for Agate Grey. All Black or all Grey seats will be too grim, and lighter Cognac or Luxor Beige seats seem to be easily dirty. Congratulations!!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,466 Likes on 2,268 Posts

Originally Posted by coxswain
Gorgeous!! Actually, this color combination is the best, I think. For my Agate Grey C4S, I also chose the same Red/Black interior. (I chose Carbon Fiber trims and added some decorative stitchings.) The Red/Black is the best interior color choice for Agate Grey. All Black or all Grey seats will be too grim, and lighter Cognac or Luxor Beige seats seem to be easily dirty. Congratulations!!
+1
Old 10-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

We'll be moving your thread to the 991 - Non-GTS board shortly!

car looks stunning, love the Classics and the color combo - did you lease this one also?
Old 10-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

p.p.s look at picking up a SPASM front spoiler lip ... http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...S_Exterioraero

you might like the look... and some clear side markers too

enjoy! would love to take a passenger ride in it sometime!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:21 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 973 Likes on 431 Posts

Beautiful car, nice combo. Seems like you made a wise decision; enjoy!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:51 PM
coxswain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And if you don't like the shiny silvery interior trims, you can get the Carbon Fiber trims from Suncoast. The interior will then look like this:

Old 10-12-2014, 08:55 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 14 Posts

Lovely Cab!
Old 10-13-2014, 10:11 AM
SuncoastParts
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

Beautiful! Great spec on the Cab. If you need anything or have any questions just let us know!
Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow our Project 718 Build Thread!

Stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter
Facebook

Old 10-13-2014, 06:17 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gorgeous! I love the black/ red interior on Agate Grey. In fact, my Agate Grey Turbo w/ black/ red interior should be here any day, I hope . . . I'm also exiting my current 991 lease early courtesy of the pull-ahead program (which has been extended through 1/2/15).
Old 10-14-2014, 04:04 AM
PDX991
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a beautiful color combo! I really love the red seats. You'll learn to become addicted to the sounds the engine makes with the top down. I miss the sounds of my Boxster S with the top down so I drive with the sunroof and windows open a lot, especially in tunnels.

Did you laminate the window sticker? Mine has already been folded into 4ths by the dealer but I may consider doing that.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:21 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coxswain
Thanks - the red seats really do add a nice pop that isn't over the top. I'll have to look into some CF trim - that does look nice.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
p.p.s look at picking up a SPASM front spoiler lip ... http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...S_Exterioraero

you might like the look... and some clear side markers too

enjoy! would love to take a passenger ride in it sometime!
Thanks! Definitely need to get the clear side markers (should of had the dealer do it).

I'll let you know next time I'm up in the city! Do you do any of the PCA -GGR events?
Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disden
Beautiful car, nice combo. Seems like you made a wise decision; enjoy!
Thanks Disden - loving it so far!
Old 10-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fjpdds
Lovely Cab!
Thanks!

Quick Reply: My new C2S Cab (a non-GTS thread!)