Sponsored by:

My Comparison of the 991 911 vs. F80 M3

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 07:29 PM
Deadshot
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by squid42
The e90 328i also has the N52 engine (NA i6) which is about as good as it gets for BMW engines if you don't want a turbo. (not counting the e90 m3). No turbo no DI, spools up nice, sounds nice. Difficult to ruin as long as you keep the fluids in. The major problem is that those fools put a hardtop on the e90 convertible and now it's too heavy for the NA engine.
Yeah her 328 was fantastic. It pulled so well even in the upper digits. The biggest issue we had with that car were stupid electrical gremlins and the usual BMW bs. We have owned 3 BMW's from new in the past 13 years and it's all the same crap. She got tired of getting it fixed and ended up getting a Lexus.

I feel like the newer BMW's are aimed at the Mercedes crowd. I still love older Bimmers.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:11 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WCH BOS
Thanks for a great post. Glad you are enjoying your two very nice cars.

Having had a E92 M3 and now a F10 M5 and waiting on a 991, I completely understand the appeal of an M + 911. They are different cars that represent different philosophies about providing a great drive. I agree with you - they both are compelling drives and the differences are nice. At the same time, the 991 is just sublime in terms of pure driving experience. The Ms only suffer in comparison - compared to almost anything else the Ms are also epic.
What would make this an even better quiver is an M3 wagon to pair with the small C2S 4-seater!
Old 06-27-2016, 08:50 AM
luvawatch
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I too am fortunate to own both a '15 F80 M3 and a '16 Carrera GTS and generally agree with your review. The torque on the M3 is crazy and the car is super fast - and it's practical. However, it just doesn't feel as "special" as the Porsche in terms of overall driving experience. I think a lot of this has to do with how the M3 sounds compared to the 911...the 911 is just pure music and, I agree, the M3 sounds weird. From a throttle response perspective I can't tell that much of a difference. I really don't feel the turbo lag in the M3 so have no complaints there. Steering - just can't beat a 911 in this department. Looks - both get a lot of stares for better or worse...probably because my M3 is Yas Marina Blue and my 911 is lava orange. In the end if I could only keep one...easy...it's the 911.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:48 AM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These were my final two choices despite the enormous price difference. My choices were F83 M4 convertible and the car I put a deposit down on ... a C2S cabrio.

It was a tough choice, but the feeling that the C2S was more special managed to pry 40% more money from my wallet.

The fact that so many of us compared the two is a testament to the car from Munich. I, too, feel like BMW has strayed from the car I fell in love with them over, my 2003 Z4. Too many people at HQ have been focused on their 1 & 2 series cars and X products to remember why enthusiasts were drawn to the brand in the first place.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:38 PM
Jeff4598
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Comments on BMW left out what I consider the single most important word "Dinan". For the price of the X-51 package my e90 was utterly transformed (intake, exhaust, pulley, sway bars, camber plates,lowered, delrin monoballs in the front end and solid steel toe link at the rear) and effectively maintained full warranty coverage. Subsequent to warranty expiration software upgrades vastly improved the DCT transmission and tightened up the steering. I understand upgrades are a universe unto themselves but with warranty intact it's not unfair IMO to compare a modified BMW to a 911.

I test drove a 997S PDK several years ago while daily driving the modded e90 and my impression was that the 911 could DO way more- it changed direction much more quickly and with no apparent effort in comparison to my e90. At practical street speeds my car felt much more connected and involving. The 911 felt removed and a bit like a video game; it seemed to warp physical reality but IT was doing this, I was not. The 911 reminded me of a slightly autistic coworker: They could do amazing stuff with their brain but it remained slightly removed from the world I was in.

Not being a complete troll here. My e90 is getting on in age and I am considering a 991.2, MB GTS, Jag F type SVR or MB c63s coupe. Current M's just do not appeal to me.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:42 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

I have a 15 M3, owned a 14 C2S, a 15 911 GTS cab, and Friday picked up my 17 C4S Cab. Ive put 18k Miles on the M3...theres absolutely no comparison between a F80 M3 and any 991 regardless of variant. 911 is in a different league both in price and performance.

Do love my M3 as a dd but I think they are in different leagues.

Last edited by ggreg911; 07-04-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:34 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 720 Likes on 390 Posts

I also have both cars...a 2015 M3 w/DCT and just swapped out my 2014 Cayman S for a 2014 Carrera S in March. Agree with most of your thoughts on both cars however the M3's faults already mentioned can be overcome with a bit of $$ and some good look out there to other owners and tuners. Dinan for one helps "develop" the car as to what it could be from the factory. I however took a different approach and my M3 has an ESS flash tune, HRE 19" wheel upgrade, Eisenman Race exhaust, and KW HAS springs which trully change the character of the car. Its my daily driver and it is a beast with almost a Dr Jekkyl and Mr Hyde personality with the mods. The tune especially give its almost M5 power (510 hp/560 torque) in a 3 series chassis while the KW HAS helps a bit to better balance the ride and the car. Steering cannot compare to Porsche but the M3 does beat my 991 in terms of technology and practicality hands down. Bet the updated 991.2 will help alleviate some of the tech gap for current 991.2 owners between the best that BMW M and Mercedes has recently developed. Only issue with my 991 is the PDK immediacy...I drive in Sport mode just to get that and have heard that a few tuners (i.e. GIAC and COBB) do help with what seems to be a bit of lack of immediacy in throttle response in normal and sport modes. The M3 does suffer a bit from turbo lag but has soo much torque (esp with the ESS flash) that actually the car is un-driveable in Sport + mode on a normal road. I recently did a LAUNCH CONTROL on both cars and the M3 lit up the traction control so bad within the first 40mph and the torque almost had the car sideways..that I actually let off the gas! 991 same launch..no problem other than my head driven into the headrest as the car surged forward. M3 much more practical but that is expected with 4 doors and a full trunk..thus its my daily driver.

Overall great cars...great problem to have! Each has its pros and cons and enjoy driving each one of them...well until they released the previews of the new 2017 Panamera...am now afraid that the S, 4S or GTS version may end up giving the M3 a run for its money in 2018+ or beyond! My perspective here is this: Had an 2012 A7 before and enjoyed everything on the car but the v6 and can say the same on my wife's prior 2011 Panamera v6. Now that she has a '16 Cayenne...the Panny could be a viable M replacement IF it has enough power/speed/and doesn't drive too big. That was a primary reason for getting the M3..had a 650 GC and hated that it drove like a boat! Too dayum big...not sporty enough and that was even with a full Dinan tune! So we'll see what Porsche has in store for us in 2018+ I guess.
Attached Images      
Old 07-04-2016, 12:07 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Little late to this thread. I thought about the newist (f80) M3, but once I heard the exhaust sound which sounds so, how should I put-cheap, annoying ,crappy off The list. Former gen M3 with that little jewel of a V8 was perfect. Alas, the mpg gods killed it.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:25 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad I came across this review. I was going to do the F80 M3 because as I am trying to find a happy median when it comes to taking my 2 yo daughter with me from time to time. Aethesytially I think they did a great job on the M3 with the Carbon fiber accents available through BMW M sport. And for the price for a pre-owned 2015 M3 you can't beat the value compared to a similar priced Carrera S, when it comes to creature comforts and modern appeal.

A 911 is on life's bucket list. The questions I deal with is do I stretch what I am willing to spend an get the 911 I've aways wanted? And look at it as a car I would never sell because it was "the one"? Accept the impractical nature of it and have it be my selfish indulgence on weekends?

all in a 2015 F80 m3 with said mods to make it a good car comes in les than a 2014 C2S in today's market. And with the current reviews of the 991.2 C2S well outperforming the 991.1, does it makes sense as one would have buyers remorse?
Old 07-04-2016, 10:55 PM
slingshot60
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 29 Posts

Great write up! I test drove a 2015 M4 before buying the 911. The BMW was very nice and the torque was addictive... but the sound was a big turn off. Maybe that makes me shallow and some will say that performance should trump all. I think the Bimmer felt slightly stouter, but sounded like some kind of noisy appliance. The 911 felt much more solid, handled better (does have SPASM and Sport Chrono), has better steering and brakes. Winner is? Well, you see which one is in my garage...
Old 10-09-2018, 06:37 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Great thread that is perfect timing for me as I've been comparing the same 2 cars. Lots of good insight and just what I wanted to hear/expected about Porsche on a P forum.
I'll check the BMW forum next to see how they feel!
The 4 doors of the M3 are the one very appealing thing for me with a kid now 5' tall and the occasional need to haul some junk around that won't fit in a 911.
My solution is easy, keep one of my e39 M5's, anyone looking for one of those in the WA/OR/ID area?
Old 10-10-2018, 07:40 AM
fueledbymetal
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
The 4 doors of the M3 are the one very appealing thing for me with a kid now 5' tall and the occasional need to haul some junk around that won't fit in a 911.
I went for the F80 M3 first and it was just a disappointment. They're fast but really too big to provide the fun & nimble driving experience I was looking for. My now 13 & 11 year old fit in the 911 fine and the Porsche roof transport system is perfect for hauling anything I can't fit inside (which is unavailable on the M3 if you get the carbon roof). Save yourself the time, money & headache and go for the one you know in your heart you really want!
Old 10-10-2018, 09:22 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

The 911 is on a different planet, overall. I did step back in time however and snatched a 2013 M3 as a DD. I have to be honest, it's easier to live with (ingress, egress), the V8 sounds phenomenal and the hydraulic steering is very engaging and telepathic (compared to the electric unit in my 911).
Best to have both
Old 10-10-2018, 10:04 AM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Great thread that is perfect timing for me as I've been comparing the same 2 cars. Lots of good insight and just what I wanted to hear/expected about Porsche on a P forum.
I'll check the BMW forum next to see how they feel!
My solution is easy, keep one of my e39 M5's, anyone looking for one of those in the WA/OR/ID area?
Not really perfect timing, as the thread is 4 years old. You just unburied a topic covered years ago
Old 10-19-2018, 04:01 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmesa
Not really perfect timing, as the thread is 4 years old. You just unburied a topic covered years ago
Yep, I just had to read it before going on a search for a new DD.
Drove a 2015 M3 and certainly liked the way it drove, but the sound was disappointing and it is 500# heavier sedan at the end of the day.
Decided to pick up a C2S and am glad I went that direction. After a couple hard blasts, I'd have been left wanting in the handling and sound department driving the M3.

Quick Reply: My Comparison of the 991 911 vs. F80 M3