Sponsored by:

Winter Storage-Rodent Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 09:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
(Prior to use, I once found a pizza slice an energetic rat had hauled up onto the engine--I'm a half block from a Chicago alley.)
Deep dish? Pequods? Due's?
Old 10-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Dans911C
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always kept my stored vehicles in my attached garage over the winter doing all of the recommend prep, then just covering it and plugging in the battery maintainer. I have not had a rodent problem ever! Is that because there is commotion all winter long inside the garage? Thoughts?
Old 10-06-2014, 01:35 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans911C
I have not had a rodent problem ever! Is that because there is commotion all winter long inside the garage? Thoughts?
Not necessarily. I found a mouse nest under my lift in a garage that's used everyday. In fact a car was parked on and off that lift twice a day. And I am in the garage often, working on things, playing the radio or TV, etc. rodents are brave!

I now have an arsenal of (child and pet safe) traps and poison bait stations everywhere in the garage and garage attic.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:21 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Park where the rodents think it's too cold?

Old 10-06-2014, 11:24 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Seriouslly though -- would the carpets not be moisture keepers rather than dissipators?
Old 10-06-2014, 11:41 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My one car garage is basically an old barn like structure that's not very sealed. I usually just put out bait traps and it seems to work. There used to be some feral cats in the neighborhood that kept all the wildlife at bay, but they've moved on.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

The hvac guy suggested we put moth ***** around our condensers to ward off nesting rodents.

I suspect it would work for cars too.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:33 PM
lbahoshy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Porsche toy house!

Have you entertained the idea of putting winter rubbers tires ( just use same rims) and just driving the car once in a while when the weather is nice and clear? It's better for the car than just having it sit idle for months on end.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:58 AM
Magnetic K
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
Seriouslly though -- would the carpets not be moisture keepers rather than dissipators?
The carpet remnants are small, cut to the size of the tire footprint. I have never seen moisture retention underneath the carpet remnants.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:01 AM
Magnetic K
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by lbahoshy
Nice Porsche toy house!

Have you entertained the idea of putting winter rubbers tires ( just use same rims) and just driving the car once in a while when the weather is nice and clear? It's better for the car than just having it sit idle for months on end.
I have another solution. It is called a Cayenne.
Old 10-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're really worried about it go for the bubble. I had several cars in these over a winter and it was great. My reason for buying one was more to avoid door dings from my sometimes not careful wife. Now that she's been relegated to the driveway(since we no longer live in a cold climate) it's totally unnecessary but it will keep everything out. As funny as those things look I would totally use them again if storing cars for months over a winter. The fan keeps moisture from settling and if you fill it with bounce sheets the car will smell extra fresh in the spring and you can re-purpose them for wiping down the paint.
Attached Images  
Old 10-07-2014, 09:33 PM
porsche42
Racer

I have steel wool in the exhaust pipes. I've also heard a small fence, 2x4 maybe or 4 inch plastic molding around the car will prevent rodents from getting into the car. The bubble looks like the best bet though.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:39 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche42
I've also heard a small fence, 2x4 maybe or 4 inch plastic molding around the car will prevent rodents from getting into the car.
Mice around here would laugh at that! The things they can go up and over, or around or under, is amazing.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:36 AM
walterwu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ezkill
if you fill it with bounce sheets the car will smell extra fresh in the spring and you can re-purpose them for wiping down the paint.
Am I the only one who winced while reading this? That can't be good for your paint, or am I missing something?
Old 10-08-2014, 04:40 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been storing a car for past couple of years, this year I have three and here is the routine.

Wash, wash & wash - detail everything inside and out (important for leather & dash to be waxed properly to avoid drying up)
Over inflate tyres.
Fill tank to the full (use stabilisers)
Change oil & filter.
Cover all rubber seals (doors, bonnet, boot) with "Einszett Rubber Care Stick" to avoid drying.
Switch engine on once a month and bring up to operating temp to avoid seals drying up while also lubing the internal engine parts in the process.
If longer term storage car needs a run once every 2-3 months to lub all the moving parts in drive & suspension.
Allow a small gap in windows to avoid seazing of seals & provide circulation of air inside car, if bugs/spiders are a problem then think about putting a piece of charcoal on a tin inside car (odour control).
Ideally you want air circulation & low temp variations around the car, if you don't have this possibility then think about one of those car tents. High temp variations create condensation which turn to damp.
The most effective Rodent control method I have experienced are the electrical pulse generators, to rodents it sounds like a loud drum banging but at a frequency which we can not hear and I think you can also have them pet safe too (unless you have Guinea pigs/hamsters etc as pets). They really work, you can even see it by holding a flame right infront of it!

Quick Reply: Winter Storage-Rodent Prevention