Notices
991
Sponsored by:

93 octane fuel

 
Old 09-28-2014, 07:09 PM
  #1  
Caprzeland
User
Thread Starter
 
Caprzeland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 97
Thumbs down 93 octane fuel

I am not able to find 93 octane (or higher) fuel in Los Angeles, readily available....
I was just wondering what are you folks living in So Cal. using...
Do you think 91 fuel is just fine?

Last edited by Caprzeland; 09-28-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Caprzeland is offline  
Old 09-28-2014, 07:33 PM
  #2  
LexVan
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
LexVan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland Area
Posts: 19,430
Default

91 is just fine. If you track, buy some unleaded race gas at track.
LexVan is offline  
Old 09-28-2014, 07:35 PM
  #3  
Caprzeland
User
Thread Starter
 
Caprzeland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 97
Default

Thanks. I do not track, so I will just stick to 91.
Caprzeland is offline  
Old 09-28-2014, 07:49 PM
  #4  
Hammer911
User
 
Hammer911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: colorado
Posts: 1,052
Default

91 here in Colorado as well. No problems
Hammer911 is offline  
Old 09-28-2014, 08:21 PM
  #5  
Caprzeland
User
Thread Starter
 
Caprzeland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 97
Default

So the "min 93 octane" written on the fuel cap of my 991 is probably just a recommendation to achieve the full engine potential...
Caprzeland is offline  
Old 09-28-2014, 08:28 PM
  #6  
Hammer911
User
 
Hammer911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: colorado
Posts: 1,052
Default

not really...for that you need the 97+ they have at the track!
Hammer911 is offline  
Old 09-28-2014, 08:29 PM
  #7  
Spyerx
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Spyerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,168
Default

Originally Posted by Caprzeland View Post
I am not able to find 93 octane (or higher) fuel in Los Angeles, readily available....
I was just wondering what are you folks living in So Cal. using...
Do you think 91 fuel is just fine?
How long have you lived in LA? We used to have 92, while I was living on the east coast a few years back they switched to 91 (we had 93 there, and sunoco had 95).

91 is fine. Or you can drive to fontucky or rosamond and get 100 octane for $9/gallon.
Spyerx is offline  
Old 09-28-2014, 08:55 PM
  #8  
drcollie
User
 
drcollie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,431
Default

You would want the 93 on hot summer days when you are pushing the car hard. For normal driving, 91 is going to be fine. In a modern car, you won't damage anything with a lower octane fuel in the tank as the DME unit will simply adjust the timing when the anti-knock sensors detect a ping, and you will simply lose a few HP off the top. Hot days tax the engine more than cool days, too.
drcollie is offline  
Old 09-28-2014, 08:59 PM
  #9  
Caprzeland
User
Thread Starter
 
Caprzeland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 97
Default

Originally Posted by Spyerx View Post
How long have you lived in LA? We used to have 92, while I was living on the east coast a few years back they switched to 91 (we had 93 there, and sunoco had 95).

91 is fine. Or you can drive to fontucky or rosamond and get 100 octane for $9/gallon.
I just recently relocated to LA, from Mass...
I also saw the 100 octane fuel for 9 bucks...that's the price I used to pay in Europe for normal gas...
Caprzeland is offline  
Old 09-28-2014, 09:20 PM
  #10  
Spyerx
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Spyerx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 12,168
Default

Originally Posted by drcollie View Post
You would want the 93 on hot summer days when you are pushing the car hard. For normal driving, 91 is going to be fine. In a modern car, you won't damage anything with a lower octane fuel in the tank as the DME unit will simply adjust the timing when the anti-knock sensors detect a ping, and you will simply lose a few HP off the top. Hot days tax the engine more than cool days, too.
The problem is in CA 91 is highest you can get anywhere except for race gas dealers.
Spyerx is offline  
Old 09-28-2014, 11:12 PM
  #11  
Scottish Pete
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Scottish Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Visalia, California
Posts: 297
Default

Back before the present Research Octane plus Motor Octane (R+M) divided by 2 stickers on the pumps, the highest octane available at the pumps was the Chevron white pump Supreme or Union 76 Super. They were around 100+ research octane. Todays R+M divided by 2 stickers would have put them both at 96 octane.
Scottish Pete is offline  
Old 09-30-2014, 01:17 PM
  #12  
Hugh Jardon
User
 
Hugh Jardon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 51
Default

I found a place not too far from me in Fullerton CA based on info from this site:

HTML Code:
http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal
http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal

There is a octane blending calculator out there in the interwebs too. I recall it being about 1 gal of 100 octane per 1/4 tank for a C2 or C2S. The C4's, turbos and GT3's have larger tanks so they might be closer to 1.25 gal per 1/4 tank.

If you find 104 or 110 octane, then the mix will obviously be different if you are shooting for 93. From what I can tell, most of these CA stations carry Sunoco GT100 (100octane) as it is approved for street legal cars and has no dyes in the fuel, unlike the race gas sold at the tracks which has dyes.

The "Butt Dyno" says it makes a difference, but it's probably only worth it if you are tracking the car or ripping to redline all day long. I did notice a difference with my 2003 E46 M3 when belnding, but not so much with the 991 C2S. May be a subtle difference I haven't picked up on yet.
Hugh Jardon is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 AM
  #13  
Caprzeland
User
Thread Starter
 
Caprzeland's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 97
Default

Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
I found a place not too far from me in Fullerton CA based on info from this site:

HTML Code:
http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal
http://www.davebarton.com/Unleaded_Racing_Fuel_in_SoCal

There is a octane blending calculator out there in the interwebs too. I recall it being about 1 gal of 100 octane per 1/4 tank for a C2 or C2S. The C4's, turbos and GT3's have larger tanks so they might be closer to 1.25 gal per 1/4 tank.

If you find 104 or 110 octane, then the mix will obviously be different if you are shooting for 93. From what I can tell, most of these CA stations carry Sunoco GT100 (100octane) as it is approved for street legal cars and has no dyes in the fuel, unlike the race gas sold at the tracks which has dyes.

The "Butt Dyno" says it makes a difference, but it's probably only worth it if you are tracking the car or ripping to redline all day long. I did notice a difference with my 2003 E46 M3 when belnding, but not so much with the 991 C2S. May be a subtle difference I haven't picked up on yet.
Great info. Thank you!
Caprzeland is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 02:50 AM
  #14  
draxa
User
 
draxa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kent, England
Posts: 882
Default

We have 97octane available at most stations here in England.....but it's about $2/litre!
draxa is offline  
Old 10-01-2014, 11:35 AM
  #15  
Macster
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 17,803
Default

Originally Posted by Caprzeland View Post
So the "min 93 octane" written on the fuel cap of my 991 is probably just a recommendation to achieve the full engine potential...
Yes. The engines are tested, certified for fuel consumption and emissions using 93 octane gasoline. (98 in Europe. The difference is how the octane numbers are calculated.)

The owners manual I think though cautions against going below 90.

91 is ok but not ideal but the engine will be ok. I've lived in CA now since 2004 with my Boxster and it has had nothing but 91 octane gasoline and is still doing just fine with I might add now over 285K miles on its engine.

Even my Turbo, which I've owned since 2009 and have put around 115K miles on since buying it used in 2009 runs ok with 91.

As others have advised if you are going to the track though dump in some high octane racing gasoline, unleaded of course. Up to you but I would not cut it too fine on the octane. That is to say I would not spend any time trying to blend 91 and 100 to arrived at precisely 93. I'd just dump in enough 100 with whatever amount of 91 was in the tank to get 93+. I'd probably err on the side of caution and end up with over 93 in the tank. An engine's octane requirements goes up with use so the octane in excess of 93 is not for naught.
Macster is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 octane fuel


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: