off topic: a$$hole or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:20 PM
jester
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default off topic: a$$hole or not?

Dear Rennlisters,

My wife, my 3 yr old, and I were shopping at the local grocery store. Our car was parked at the 2nd to first end spot right in front of the store. The next spot over was open and extra wide because it was the first spot. As I pay, the wife decides to scooch the 3 year old out and begin the "process" of getting her into the child seat. While she walks along side our car, a brand new shiny Jeep Wrangler, decides to pull in - FAST - inches from my wife and daughter (according to my wife - I didn't see any of this) when he could easily have been a 3 feet further away and still parked in "the spot". He continues to get out of the Jeep, completely unaware of what he's just done. I hear about all this after I finish paying and finish loading the car, and start driving away because my wife didn't want me to cause a scene.

I'm at a loss as to what would even be appropriate for this kind of stupidity - except perhaps for letting the guy know what he did was dangerous and that next time he's in a similar situation around little kids (or just people) he should slow the f*#k down.

So... your opinions are wanted. What would you have done? Was he an idiot? Oblivious? Or am I just a little too sensitive?

Jester

Last edited by jester; 09-15-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 09-14-2014, 11:27 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People suck. Bottom line is someone you don't know and cares nothing about you has messed up your day and you have allowed it to control your emotions. The hard thing is to just let it go.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:38 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

the driver was probably in a different world..... we are all guilty of it some times...

on another note, not sure where you are from but in florida you keep your mouth shut as more often then not it could lead to something worse...
Old 09-14-2014, 11:45 PM
Harsany
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds a like a clueless driver that is not aware of what is going around him. The world is full of them. You probably did the right thing by just letting it go and being the better man, but I know how you feel, if I see someone potentially doing a dangerous thing in a vehicle I just to confront them and tell them what an idiot they are.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

People just suck! They are lost in their world and starring in their own reality shows! This kind of thing happens to us at work all the time when we are working accidents. People zip around cones, come within inches of my ff and patients. Hell I've even had one blow through cones and blocking cop car and almost took out waiting medic helicopter! I'm glad your family was unhurt, that's whats important, eff that guy!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:30 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

If at all possible: avoid, de escalate, leave. I even apologized to a redneck tool bag who was 100% at fault for cutting me off then unilaterally wanting to road rage about it. He got out at an exit ramp and approached me and lets just say I would have easily won if it came to blows but I "apologized" to him, he was happy and left, and I didn't have to get my shoes dirty or fill out paperwork later. Win-win.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Many people are completely unaware of what they do and how it affects others. And they don't care to improve. Move on, because it will get worse.

Last edited by Edgy01; 09-16-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a gopro camera and turn it to your lawyer when you got it recorded. Win win.

My sensei once told me you gotta know how to be a dick to beat a dick.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:59 AM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

People are the worst. I try to avoid them.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:27 AM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

No easy answers. I feel your frustration. It often is just best to let it go, but I certainly get much more upset when my family is involved and potentially put in harm's way by clueless/selfish people. I think the general driving public needs to be more aware of their surroundings. They need to realize that, while they are navigating a parking lot, chances are there will be people (and kids) walking in between cars, etc. They need to drive slowly, cautiously and defensively. If confronted in this situation, the Jeep driver may have been nasty and belligerent, but if, God forbid, he hit your wife or daughter, there would be no excuse. Clearly his fault for being reckless and careless. And something he would have to live with for the rest of his life (as you would, too, unfortunately). I think most people are just clueless about the potential consequences of their actions. It probably requires something similar happening to them, with them on the receiving end, for them to realize they need to be more cautious and responsible when driving.
I do think people need to be made aware of their selfish and dangerous actions. Perhaps the best method is to take a deep breath, politely approach the driver and calmly point out the potential tragedy that just occurred, asking them to drive a bit slower in parking lots in the future.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:06 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ignore clueless moron and try to go on with your life.

It's tough. But I get plenty of practice around here, and I'm trying to do better. Still, I have been known to chase down people who text while driving and give them a piece of my mind.

Soon I will have no more pieces for myself.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:37 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by Harsany
Sounds a like a clueless driver that is not aware of what is going around him. The world is full of them. You probably did the right thing by just letting it go and being the better man, but I know how you feel, if I see someone potentially doing a dangerous thing in a vehicle I just to confront them and tell them what an idiot they are.
+1 ... it seems to me that the Ca driving test actually includes a section to ensure that you are driving with your head up your ***, or checking your social media... which is the same thing in my book.

Sad though that you cannot express yourself (respectfully) for the fear that someone might kill you ...
Old 09-15-2014, 01:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
No easy answers. I feel your frustration. It often is just best to let it go, but I certainly get much more upset when my family is involved and potentially put in harm's way by clueless/selfish people. I think the general driving public needs to be more aware of their surroundings. They need to realize that, while they are navigating a parking lot, chances are there will be people (and kids) walking in between cars, etc. They need to drive slowly, cautiously and defensively. If confronted in this situation, the Jeep driver may have been nasty and belligerent, but if, God forbid, he hit your wife or daughter, there would be no excuse. Clearly his fault for being reckless and careless. And something he would have to live with for the rest of his life (as you would, too, unfortunately). I think most people are just clueless about the potential consequences of their actions. It probably requires something similar happening to them, with them on the receiving end, for them to realize they need to be more cautious and responsible when driving.
I do think people need to be made aware of their selfish and dangerous actions. Perhaps the best method is to take a deep breath, politely approach the driver and calmly point out the potential tragedy that just occurred, asking them to drive a bit slower in parking lots in the future.
leave a note on their car once they have left?
Old 09-15-2014, 02:05 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Still, I have been known to chase down people who text while driving and give them a piece of my mind.

Soon I will have no more pieces for myself.

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
leave a note on their car once they have left?
Good idea--but with the frequency of jerks around here, I'd have to make up pre-printed stickers and keep a stack in the car at the ready.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:45 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't relate because I park as far away in each parking lot that I can find.

Quick Reply: off topic: a$$hole or not?